Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03/30/2007, 08:13 PM
Registered Member

online fish????

wher are some really nice but Cheap places with cheaper shipping for fish. I know you reef gurus have searched and searched for the BEST. So any links that you would consider Top!... Especially for corals and frags. The prices ive seen are outrageous but im still new and getting used to blowing my money on this hobby. So far its been leaving my pockets pretty fast.. So again. fish and especially coral and frags.. thx.'

p.s i searched but its down or something.. TY again>
Old 03/30/2007, 08:57 PM
Registered Member

Saltwaterfish.com is usually the cheapest with low or no shipping. On the other hand I haven;t had good experiences with fish survival from them. Aquabid.com is also a source, but again, my coral purchases there have been disappointing.

Now I stick to local fish stores so that I can see what I am getting and ask a lot of questions.

A really good source of cheap frags is the local reef club meetings. They almost always have someone there selling frags for cheap. They can tell you all about them and are willing to talk to you later at meetings or even on the phone if you have problems.
Old 03/30/2007, 09:10 PM
Keeper of water boxes.

The thing with live animal shipping is its overnight air. Almost all airlines have a set minimum fee for overnight, averaging around 35 dollors.
Then they add so much for every pound over the first two.
Live rock/sand isnt so bad because they can ship that as regular freight,where you go to the airport and pick it up.

The only way to avoid it is to catch deals where shipping is free.
Old 03/30/2007, 09:29 PM
Registered Member

best bet is to talk to local reefers and get frags from them. cheapest and you get quality frags
Old 03/30/2007, 09:57 PM
Premium Member

Cheapest isn't always the best in livestock shipping.
I've lost many stuff to bad packaging and bad shipping methods. Now I only buy on line from Liveaquaria.com. I've lost a few frags from them, but they have always been great about the refunds.
Old 03/30/2007, 10:10 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by DarthBaiter
Cheapest isn't always the best in livestock shipping.
I've lost many stuff to bad packaging and bad shipping methods. Now I only buy on line from Liveaquaria.com. I've lost a few frags from them, but they have always been great about the refunds.
I completely agree. Everything salt water is going to be expensive and the more expensive online retailers make up for it in quality, shipping procedures, and return policies.

In other words the cheaper ones can actually be the more expensive ones! Liveaquaria.com is the way to go I've found out. Nothing has ever arrived dead and the pick top specimens. They are especially excellent for live rock.
Old 03/30/2007, 11:54 PM
Premium Member

Re: online fish????

Quote:
Originally posted by cobra397
wher are some really nice but Cheap places with cheaper shipping for fish. I know you reef gurus have searched and searched for the BEST. So any links that you would consider Top!... Especially for corals and frags. The prices ive seen are outrageous but im still new and getting used to blowing my money on this hobby. So far its been leaving my pockets pretty fast.. So again. fish and especially coral and frags.. thx.'

p.s i searched but its down or something.. TY again>
Check out www.onereef.com, you can find all the online coral and fish stores there.
Old 03/31/2007, 12:53 PM
Member of SEA-T

i just ordered some things from this place. http://sealifeinc.net/catalog/index.php . all is doing well, and good prices. the only complaint i would have is the peppermint shrimp i got are TINY. they may be 1" long. he doesnt have a huge selection, but he does have some nice stuff. just email him to check whats in stock.
Old 03/31/2007, 02:13 PM
Registered Member

I found Blue Zoo Aquatic in Ca. better than even Live Aquaria for fish. Southern California has access to the largest selection, I think, and Mark at Blue Zoo will give you tons of valuable talk. Haven't ordered corals there yet but was disappointed in Live Aquaria and Blue Zoo is my next stop.
Old 03/31/2007, 04:15 PM
Premium Member

Oh and I'm not saying that Liveaquaira.com's shipping prices are expensive, actually, it's very competitive..
Old 03/31/2007, 04:23 PM
Premium Member

I ordered from Liveacquaria corals and fish and I have been very satisfied. I ordered cleaner packages from marinedepotlive.com and it was also ok. For frags I would attend a frag swap from your local reef club or order from people here on reef central, especially if you can drive by and pick up yourself.