Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03/09/2007, 09:49 PM
Registered Member

Wow

My first saltwater tank and it is just finished cycling after two weeks. I was giving the tank my first real good look when out of the corner of my eye I caught three feather dusters then another three to the right of them!! What a rush! My first new life! Very nice moment. Cant wait to see what comes next.
Old 03/09/2007, 09:54 PM
Registered Member

Congratulations!

29 g FOWLR
35# LR, 40# LS
3 green chromis
2 ocellaris clowns
and various snails and hermits
Old 03/09/2007, 10:13 PM
Registered Member

diatoms, pods, cyano, algae, loss of money, loss of social time, loss of mind.

maybe not in that exact order, but just wait, its great
Old 03/09/2007, 10:21 PM
Registered Member

I just got done after a year of investing countless $$$ Into my 29g, and just when I thought spending was coming to an end I just brought home today a brand new AGA 90G today Now Its time to start all over again

Check out my 90G build. Click the little red house.
Old 03/09/2007, 11:21 PM
Premium Member

Finding the first life in a tank is always exhillirating. Just make sure you're patient. Patience is key when setting up a tank. Add things slowly, search the boards for good things to add and ask questions. It'll all help in the end.
Old 03/09/2007, 11:39 PM
reef obsessed

Quote:
Originally posted by mascencerro

My thoughts exactly!
Old 03/09/2007, 11:49 PM
Registered Member

The next part down the line is you wont even give the featherdusters a second look because you have so much other stuff going on in there.

*** Stewart / Colbert '08 ***
Old 03/10/2007, 01:26 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mascencerro

HEHEHEHEH, how true how true
Old 03/10/2007, 01:33 AM
Registered Member

I think loss of $$$ is the root of all reef tank evil, no? No 1 on the list has to be loss of $$$ and lots of it. Any way, back to the fist signs of life..... To take a quote from [WaterKeeper] Patients young padawon or the life you see soon won't be!

Brent
Old 03/10/2007, 06:53 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by johnstires
Finding the first life in a tank is always exhillirating. Just make sure you're patient. Patience is key when setting up a tank. Add things slowly, search the boards for good things to add and ask questions. It'll all help in the end.
Patience was exactly the thought I was having. I have been doing a lot of reading and it is helping me to think out the tank. I am going to go out today and get some phytoplankton to help feed the rock and and some inverts (around 15 snails and 3 emerald crabs). Then I will wait a while before I add the fish or increase on the inverts. Its just exciting to see what will come out of the rock.
Old 03/10/2007, 09:25 AM
Registered Member

LOL I'll never forget the first "life" I found in my tank. I took pics, posted them...was all excited and "fatherly!!!" Until all the responses to my thread informed me that it was a tiny Aiptasia!!! Grrr. lol. Oh well. Got rid of it and have been pretty happy since. Congrats on your growing population of Feather Dusters. BTW, I'm sure you'll notice many more before too long. They're awesome!!
Old 03/10/2007, 09:44 AM
Premium Member

I would recommend not feeding phytoplankton to your rock. It will not do anything but add nutrients to your tank and cause algae problems. Your live rock will do fine on it's own. It takes time for the sponges and coraline to grow but it will come. If anything does with a 2-part ESV B-ionic solution. That will help with alkalinity and calcium levels in the tank and won't do anything to your nutrient load. If anything it will slightly reduce the impact of phosphates in your tank.

In my experience, corals need light and a decent amount of it. Unless you get a coral that need regular feeding (which I advise against unless you really want to take the time to understand and learn about it) light will provide all the energy you need. Spend your money on good lights, it is your tanks sun, the provider of energy, which makes everything happen in your tank.
Old 03/10/2007, 01:50 PM
:)

are you sure that its feather dusters and not aptisia? - just checking- seen those spread faster then the feather dusters
Old 03/10/2007, 01:50 PM
:)

are you sure that its feather dusters and not aptisia? - just checking- seen those spread faster then the feather dusters
Old 03/10/2007, 02:36 PM
Registered Member

wher and what kiind of rock did you get? was it uncured or partially cured? Havnt bought my LR yet and am scouring the RC for input.