Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > The Reef Chemistry Forum

Old 06/24/2003, 03:47 PM
Registered Member

Ljax

OK, in so many ways completely the wrong forum but there seems to be quite a few of the fishnet castouts floating around here

Has anyone spoken to Larry of late? If so how's he going? My best regards to him, I still find him one of the most influential characters ever to have blessed this hobby.

TIA
Old 06/24/2003, 04:05 PM
Sponsor

Andy,

In the period that I was at Fishnet (6 or is it 7 years ago) I saw often posts by Larry Jackson. I was glad to see that he was to give a lecture at the previous IMAC (IIRC).

If I'm correct then the health of his wife was for a period not so good.

Proud owner of the very rare YET (Yellow Elephantis Tang) from the Lord Bibah Islands.

"LOL, well I have no brain apparently. " - dc (Debi)
Old 06/24/2003, 04:46 PM
Registered Member

Habib,

IIRC Laura was her name and she had a brain tumour. Last I heard she was recovering as best as could be expected but it's been several years now since I last heard of them.

As far as I could gather the old boy spent his life diving in exotic locations ... me , jealous ... absolutely!
Old 06/24/2003, 04:54 PM
Sponsor

spent his life diving in exotic locations

Yes, I now reacall it. He went once (or more times) with Julian and Jeff (Euroreef) to some exotic locations.

http://www.theimac.org/2003photos2.htm

In above link you should be able to find Larry.

Proud owner of the very rare YET (Yellow Elephantis Tang) from the Lord Bibah Islands.

Old 06/24/2003, 04:57 PM
Sponsor

BTW speaking of exotic locations and his picture...if you click on it you wil get a large size pic. Just read what is written on his t-shirt.

Old 06/24/2003, 05:04 PM
Reef Chemist

I think Greg Hiller recently went diving in the South Pacific with Larry and some others.
Old 06/24/2003, 05:10 PM
Registered Member

Probably a really stupid question and one I should google to get the answer but how long a trip are the Solomons from Texas (assuming ljax is still living in St. Antonio iirc ... saint something-or-other anyway )?.

I guess it's because I fly so much (to Europe) but the thought of a 12 hour + flight nowadays fills me with dread and I'm too mean (and lacking in money) to fly business which at least makes it civilised. Thankfully all my flying meant I got to go to the Seychelles for free this year

Oh well, at least the Red Sea is only 5 hours from me and I'm going in a month's time Life's a beach (well , a liveaboard actually )

Last edited by andy-hipkiss; 06/24/2003 at 05:31 PM.
Old 06/25/2003, 04:17 AM
Sponsor

Andy:

I guess it's because I fly so much (to Europe)

From where outside of Europe do you fly that much?