Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/05/2008, 12:28 PM
Registered Member

Question Berlin skimmer - turbo upgrade or replace?

I am helping a teacher with his 180g tank set up at his school, and he has an old berlin skimmer that he would like to upgrade.

I have seen the berlin turbo upgrade kit, and was wondering if it was worth it, or if he should just replace the skimmer altogether?

Thanks in advance!
Old 01/05/2008, 01:35 PM
Registered Member

I have this skimmer in use as well. In their day they were great... three reaction chambers... no more fighting air stones... they were tought to beat, but there time has come and past now my friend. As soon as I can come off the cash I plan to upgrade to the reef flow line. I'm thinking of going with the orca (?spelling?)
These are said to be one of the best on the market when factoring in the production v/s cost of course.
As a matter of fact there was a thread here a ew days ago where a guy got one as an early x-mas gift and he sent many pic's of it from the packaging to the first cup of skimate. He did a fine job with this thread. If I can find it I'll post a link here for you.

Lucky
Old 01/05/2008, 05:57 PM
Premium Member

The is an X2 model coming out not sure if the old model can utilize the new pump or impeller in any way. The ad I saw it looks like the impeller is needle wheel type of design