Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10/30/2006, 03:15 PM
Registered Member

Question Chromis/Clown Question

I have a 40g breeder that only has one ocellaris clown in it at the moment. I would like to get a clarki clown and some blue chromis, so my question is will the two clowns get along and how many chromis could I keep as a school in my 40g? Tank will soon have thirty pounds of lr in a wall across the back with the whole front open for swimming space! Any help would be awesome as my tank is kinda bare and needs more life!
Old 10/30/2006, 03:25 PM
Kurshat loves Absolut!

Unfortunately, two different species of clownfish wont get along well with each other but you can keep chromis. I think you can keep like 3.

Names of some Mediterranean fish;Chromis chromis, Conger conger, Anthias anthias, Phycis phycis, Hippocampus hippocampus, Boops boops, Dentex dentex, Pagrus pagrus, Sphyraena sphyraena
Old 10/30/2006, 03:28 PM
Registered Member

Well, I think you have to nix the second clown, especially if you plan on it NOT being another ocellaris. You could take your chances on trying to add a second ocellaris and hope you end up with a male by buying one much smaller than your current clown. It's a risk and your current clown might end up hurting the new one.
As to the chromis, for the sake of your bio-load, don't add any more than 3 at one time (that might even cause an ammonia spike).
If I could offer some unsolicited advice...at 5 fish, you'll be pretty much full for a 40 gal. If you do end up with three chromis, they might "school" but I think you might be dissappointed, in the long run. Don't get me wrong, they are nice fish, but if I knew I could only choose say 5 fish, 3 of them would not be chromis.
Have a look at some wrasses, very colorful group of fish. Read carefully the care profiles to be sure you have the right home. The fairys are very nice.
Old 10/30/2006, 03:35 PM
Registered Member

Yeah I dont want the chromis if theres a chance that they wont school. The reason for my question was that I was looking on vivid aquariums website and it said 3 to 7 chromis in a tank of at least 30 gallons? Seven would be cool but I think they are wrong. The clown on the other hand makes me sad as I wish there was a way to give my nemo a friend! Also I have heard wrasses like to jump I have already lost a tiger watchman goby do to the fact I dont have a lid, is this true?
Old 10/30/2006, 03:42 PM
Certified FL Aquaculture

Chromis can get very aggressive as adults and from past experience you will have a hard time getting them to school in less than 7-9 fish. Personally, I think these would not be a good addition to a 40. The Clarkii will most likely kill the other clown. They are also fairly aggressive. If you have a lid, purple fire fish are great additions as are Orchid Dottybacks (ORA) and Starry blennies. Cleaner shrimp and fire shrimp are nice and colorful as well. HTH, Marcye
Old 10/30/2006, 10:49 PM
Registered Member

Wrasse is the second largest fish family. They range in size, shape, temprament and level of dwelling.
If you have sand for substrate and can find one that appeals to you that requires sand (mine sleeps IN the sand and does not go above the "rock line") chances are they are not jumpers.
Do some more looking around. There are some very spectacular choices out there that would be appropriate, but it's a very personal choice.
Old 10/30/2006, 11:03 PM
Certified FL Aquaculture

I agree...there are some great fish out there. Wrasses are my absolute favorite...my new 300 gallon will be only wrasses and anthias, but they can be a challenge without a refugium as they really thrive on live pods and can actually clean out a tank's pod population in a very short time without a refugium to replenish it. They can be fed several times a day, but in a 40 gallon tank I would worry about phosphate buildup feeding that much. They also can be notorious jumpers. You can get a piece of egg crate from Home Depot and it's pretty easy to make a grid top for the tank to help keep jumpers in. All my tanks have it. GL, Marcye