Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Invert and Plant Forums > Marine Plants & Macroalgae
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10/28/2006, 12:35 AM
Registered Member

Question Cheato

I am just starting to use a fuge on a new 40g breeder and have a few questions>

1. Does cheato have to tumble?
2. What is the best lighting to use?
3. Does it have to be trimmed to remove the nitrates and phosphates from it that it removes from the water?
4.How long of a light cycle does it need?

The fuge I am using is a gutted out huge hob filter that has a flow rate of 500 gph. It has two chambers and I put filter floss in the first and cheato in the second. The second chamber doesnt appear to have enough flow to make it tumble because all of the flow goes through the filter floss first? The light I am currently using is a clip on home depot light with a 60w bulb? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 10/28/2006, 12:50 AM
VENI VITI VICI!!!

1: not really, but it helps reduce die-off. remove the floss and add a sponge, and that should help increase flow and create a tumble.
2: get a "grow light" for your clip-on. ($3.99)
3: no! thats its food. you will need to trim it when it overtakes the container. which BTW want take long.
4: 24-7 is best photoperiod.

hope this helps, have a kickin weekend
Old 10/28/2006, 08:50 AM
Here's lookin at you

Quote:
3: no! thats its food. you will need to trim it when it overtakes the container. which BTW want take long.
4: 24-7 is best photoperiod.
3. I think the question was misunderstood. Yes the cheato will need to be trimmed to remove the nutrients which it binds.

4. Many people do light their cheato 24/7, but most if not all plants will do better with a period of darkness. Plants thrive on two processes, photosynthesis occurs mostly during light hours, and respiration occurs mostly during periods of darkness, and for optimum health plants rely on both.

"The world is headed for mutiny when all we want is unity" Scott Stapp, Creed
Old 10/28/2006, 09:35 PM
Registered Member

Thank you guys I will get a grow light and I think I will light it at night and the tank during the day! By the way grave I like the signature!