Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > LPS Keepers
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10/30/2005, 11:12 PM
Premium Member

Okay, I'm back! I did manage to get one mysis shrimp to "stick" to it and it slowly took it in. It has not come out, but it is looking more open inside with more orange color showing. Hopefully this is a start of his coming out of his shell. I did look at it more carefully and yes, it has been cut on the side, just below its opening. I will check for strontium when I go to the LFS tomorrow. Any thing special I should know about strontium? Newbie here!

Sara

Proud Member of CMAS & Rockford Reefers
Old 10/31/2005, 10:23 PM
Registered Member

Here are some pics of my new dendro. I got it from a lfs for a good price. Much less than the $50 dollar a polyp price I have been hearing about from everyone. It has four heads.

Here it is with my normal sun coral in the background.
Old 10/31/2005, 11:56 PM
TRC Leader

Congrats Chris!
Old 11/01/2005, 12:01 AM
Registered Member

Thanks Marc, after seeing yours in person I just had to have one.
Old 11/01/2005, 12:11 AM
TRC Leader

I'll post a picture of mine eating tomorrow. One night I turned off the pump and dropped a huge glob on it.
Old 11/01/2005, 01:18 AM
Registered Member

Chris, very nice addition! Did your LFS sell it to you as a dendro, or did they think it was a 'sun coral'? Also, do you know if it was captive propagated or wild caught?
Old 11/01/2005, 01:50 AM
TRC Leader

Old 11/01/2005, 03:31 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by WendyMc
Hi, welcome to Reef Central! I see that your occupation is LFS, & I was wondering if you had any insight on the waters these corals are being collected from. Do you know where the ones come from that you get in your store?
Thanks WendyMc, All this Dendrophyllia are collect from Vietnam about the depth of 50 meter.
Old 11/01/2005, 12:48 PM
Registered Member

I just asked for the Dendro and they went right to it. So I am guessing he knew what it was. I don't know about the collection of it though nor do I think he knows.
Old 11/01/2005, 12:49 PM
Registered Member

Wow Marc, that thing is hungry.
Old 11/01/2005, 01:33 PM
Registered Member

Very cool shot, Marc. Your hermit is the BOMB!

My seahorses do not seem to be affected by my dendro, they even hitch on it w/the tentacles brushing them. They don't respond to the contact from the tents!

I still have seen no tentacles on the orange colony. However, its feeding response is quicker now, so I'm hoping anyday...
Old 11/01/2005, 01:35 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by NTF
Thanks WendyMc, All this Dendrophyllia are collect from Vietnam about the depth of 50 meter.
Thank you! I'd really like to see some pictures, if you ever have the opportunity.
Old 11/02/2005, 12:42 PM
Premium Member

I should preface this post by pointing out that this is a terrible, awful pic... but it shows the dendro after feeding (just happend to be lights out, but it is open all day too - unless a snail is brushing up against it)... and lots of new growth.

Old 11/02/2005, 03:30 PM
| ~ |

Don't be hard on yourself Jhong,

I think it's actually a pretty good pic. How long did it take the colony to develop babies? My two heads of dendro have grown extremely little, and the tissue doesn't even connect between the two heads. Oh well,

nice dendros...
Old 11/03/2005, 10:21 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by WendyMc
Thank you! I'd really like to see some pictures, if you ever have the opportunity.
Hi WendyMc, I am trying to attach some photo but do not know how. Can anyone help?
Old 11/03/2005, 12:03 PM
Dracula

You first need to resize the photo to under 50kb using www.imageresizer.com

After, go to www.reefcentral.com/gallery and upload the picture.

Then copy the address in the gallery and put image tags around it [ img ] address [ / img ] but remove the spaces. If you need help you can email the picture to me and i can post it: russo.joseph@gmail.com
Old 11/03/2005, 01:41 PM
Waste Management

Just wondering, to the people who recieved there dendros from R.M.W. Where your polyps as small as the ones i recieved? The heads were as small as a dime retracted. they hav'ent opened as i just got them yesterday but they seem to be on the small side(not JUMBO at all).
Old 11/03/2005, 02:15 PM
Registered Member

my 2 head orange has polyps about the size of dimes - still totally retracted . My 3 head yellow has a central polyp the size of a half dollar, & 2 polyps about the size of quarters.

I'm wondering where you were given the idea they were 'jumbo dendros'. Was it from Roe's, or was it from the other thread on dendro importing?
Old 11/03/2005, 02:27 PM
Registered Member

Those are the ones I got from R.M.W. and they range from about nickel sized to dime sized.
Old 11/03/2005, 02:30 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Sara B
I will check for strontium when I go to the LFS tomorrow. Any thing special I should know about strontium? Newbie here!

Sara
Sorry, Sara, that this question hasn't been answered yet. I missed it . My belief is that if you don't test for it, you've got no business dosing it. I would pick up a good reliable test kit, I prefer salifert for no good reason other than the LFS owner I trust implicitely, recommends it. After test results, you'll want to dose according to bottle instructions to get levels up to natural levels. Some SPSrs like to keep it elevated for faster growth. I can't give you advice on keeping an elevated level of strontium, as I've never tried it personally. That doesn't mean it's wrong, I just haven't found need to try it yet.

Bugzy, when you do have to frag these guys, what level do you like to keep your strontium at? The voice of experience would be much more reassuring than my speculation
Old 11/03/2005, 02:32 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by chaozie

Those are the ones I got from R.M.W. and they range from about nickel sized to dime sized.
Nice little bud! Were you under the impression you were going to receive 'jumbo dendros'?
Old 11/03/2005, 02:42 PM
Registered Member

Well, remember the picture that they first sent out? I was expecting something like in that first picture of all those huge fat colorful ones, but obviously it's hard to tell the scale from a picture. But overall I'm pretty happy, I ordered two heads but got those, an extra little bud, and the little separate head in the front for free. I really did expect them to be larger though. Oh well, I hope they grow!
Old 11/03/2005, 02:53 PM
Waste Management

I'm very dissapointed when you state in your auction JUMBO dendrophyllia, the size of a dime does not quallify & in my book & is false advertising. I would never have purchased these if i thought even for a min. that they were that small. i hate to gripe but i've been with out power for 10 days because of hurricane Wilma, so i told them to hold them till i got power back. I got got my power & i guess i got what was left over of those dendros. If anyone knows where i can locate some half dollar sized ones please PM me.
Old 11/03/2005, 02:55 PM
Registered Member

From what I've read, it looks like you just got juvinile polyps. So if this is true, & you feed them well, I think they will grow!

I was a bit squeemish about not cherry picking the exact dendro polyps I was receiving. My orange ones were just sent to me sight unseen, but I ordered the yellows from the cherry picking site after pre-paying for the orange. I feel the extra cost was worth it! Are you feeding yours?
Old 11/03/2005, 02:57 PM
Registered Member

donavan, so you bid on ebay? Sorry about having to go through Wilma - I think it would have been harder on me than my reef with all the nailbiting I would have been doing with concern for losing stuff.