Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > LPS Keepers
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10/26/2005, 08:09 PM
Moved On

if they are stressed/underfed they won't open right away. They typically only stay nice and fat with regular feedings.

Give them a day or two, you should at least be able to see the darker orange tent
Old 10/26/2005, 08:13 PM
Registered Member

Thanks! I plan on keeping them nice & fat =). I feed my corals almost everyday now.
Old 10/26/2005, 08:29 PM
Premium Member

how do i frag dendros? do i just put/glue the small rock that my dendros are on to a larger rock? will they just go over the glue and grow onto the larger rock?
Old 10/26/2005, 10:00 PM
TRC Leader

Wendy, mine took about week to get to their full potential.
Old 10/27/2005, 10:09 AM
Registered Member

Wendy,
Do you have any photos of your new dendros? I'd love to see them!

Melissa
Old 10/27/2005, 10:27 AM
Premium Member

Out of curiosity, since it wasn’t really ever answered in a previous thread, which country/s are Dendrophyllias collected?

Since they are non-photosynthetic corals, are they deep water corals?
Old 10/27/2005, 01:47 PM
Registered Member

I wish I had my own camera to give you shots of both color forms. I got permission from Roe's to use his pic for this post, but I only got a shot of the super sweet, neon yellow, red oral disk, oh my god I can't believe I got a dendro this sweet for my tank, (can you tell I'm totally happy about it?) color form: http://reefcentral.com/gallery/showp...t=1&thecat=500 This is a very accurate representation of the color, except in my tank the dark orange base looks cherry red.

The neon yellow one was about 1/2 open last night on each polyp, they each took 3 pcs of squid/mysis, then they were much more open. The 2 polyp orange I got wasn't open at all last night. I tried to tempt it w/food. Nothing worked. The flesh looks healthy, so I'm hoping it's just a little more stressed than the neon. The bag water smelled pretty nasty when I acclimated this one.

Can any of you pm me w/instructions on how to paste my pic on a post w/out using the link to my gallery?
Old 10/27/2005, 01:51 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by WayneL333
Out of curiosity, since it wasn’t really ever answered in a previous thread, which country/s are Dendrophyllias collected?

According to Roe's, this shipment came from Vietnam. I have heard they come from many asian areas, though. I don't know much about their natural habitat, everyone I've talked to that has them just says 'I don't know'. Yup, that's me, too. I was hoping maybe jendub or bugsy might have some insight...
Old 10/27/2005, 01:53 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by john37
how do i frag dendros? do i just put/glue the small rock that my dendros are on to a larger rock? will they just go over the glue and grow onto the larger rock?
John, it looks like the orange ones I received were cut w/a dremel or some other type of table saw (?). The cut is very clean.
Old 10/27/2005, 02:09 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by WayneL333

ask Eric B
Old 10/29/2005, 11:45 AM
Registered Member

I just bought a 4 polyp dendro yest. from a LFS for 125. I am on shift today at fire dept but tomorrow I will try and get a pic to post.
Old 10/29/2005, 12:03 PM
Premium Member

wow...great deal.
Old 10/29/2005, 07:28 PM
Premium Member

I picked up a dendro on Wednesday evening and it has yet to open up. There were 45 heads purchased in a group buy and it appears that most have opened except for my 1 head and another persons 1 head. Any suggestions from those who own these? It was placed mid-tank on Wednesday and I moved it down to the sand last night ... still nothing. I have tried to feed it to entice it out with no luck.

Thanks!

Sara

Proud Member of CMAS & Rockford Reefers
Old 10/29/2005, 07:34 PM
TRC Leader

Hi Sara. As long as your water quality is good, and your lighting isn't intense, I'd just give it some time. Matter of fact, look at it tonight while the lights are out and see if it opens then. If it does, feed it while you have the chance.

Then over the coming days, you can feed it more easily as it will be open during the day time.
Old 10/29/2005, 07:47 PM
Premium Member

45! are you sure it is a dendro?
Old 10/29/2005, 09:48 PM
Registered Member

And if it was a Dendro how much was spent on 45 head colony. Any pics of the colony before the cutting. That must of been impressive.
Old 10/29/2005, 10:11 PM
Registered Member

I think she was referring to a Roe's group order. I believe it was 45 individual heads and not one big colony. (I know because I bought a couple of heads by myself seperately from the group order and they're really nice.) Sara, have you tried enticing it with some thawed mysis shrimp juice? That always works for me.
Old 10/30/2005, 01:54 AM
Registered Member

Hi Sara,
Did you get yours from roe's? My orange ones still haven't opened, but last night & tonight I got both heads to eat the same way I feed the blastos. I turned off the circulation & gently placed a mix of hikari mysis, brine, & finely chopped squid on top of their mouths - about the same amt of food as this: O. The flesh around the oral disk got swollen & slowly closed around most the food. It took it about 10 min to completely swallow the food & go back to its normal closed appearance. My other 3 head colony has been open & beautiful since the 2nd day in my tank. It took 3 successive feedings tonight!

I think the dif between the 2 is that my 2 head orange was cut (bag water smelled bad, too), & my 3 head yellow came whole. Was yours cut?
Old 10/30/2005, 07:48 AM
Premium Member

Yes, this was part of a group order from Roe's. There were 45 heads ordered, but the majority were for 2 or 3 heads. They were pricey, so I thought I would try my luck with just one head for starters. I am not sure what it means "was it cut"?

I did shoot some mysis shrimp into it both Wed and Thur, but it was placed at an angle that I could not see down in it. I moved it down to the sand on Friday per others recommendations and down there I have not tried to feed it again. I am moving some rockwork today and I will try and find it a safe place to rest with good flow. Right now is it sitting on the bottom under a 250MH which may be too bright for starters.

I will keep trying! I was just worried that I got the one with the identity crisis that is afraid to come out of its shell!

Old 10/30/2005, 11:09 AM
Registered Member

Hi Sara B, Dendrophyllia can stay at the temperature of 24-27 degree. They did not require much lighting. It better to have slow water flow so that they can catch their food. You can feed them with hikari mysis, brine & cut small shrimp meat. If you dendrophyllia still not opening just give them more time as long as they still have the colour. Just feed them with mysis or brine water only slowly they will open.
Old 10/30/2005, 11:25 AM
Premium Member

I have found that mine are much happier in strong flow -- open MUCH fuller.
Old 10/30/2005, 02:49 PM
Registered Member

Sarah, by cut I meant that mine were apparently attached to other heads, & obviously cut away from the rest of the colony at the base of the polyps. Still no tents today...

John, I've found the same true w/my colony that is opening. At 1st I put them in a low flow area, but after 3 days still no sign of a tentacle on my orange I thought I'd try a higher flow location. Didn't do anything as far as opening the orange, but its tissue is more puffy. And my yellow is opening much larger now. I thought it was just that it's more adjusted to its new environment.
Old 10/30/2005, 02:51 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by NTF
Hi Sara B, Dendrophyllia can stay at the temperature of 24-27 degree. They did not require much lighting. It better to have slow water flow so that they can catch their food. You can feed them with hikari mysis, brine & cut small shrimp meat. If you dendrophyllia still not opening just give them more time as long as they still have the colour. Just feed them with mysis or brine water only slowly they will open.
Hi, welcome to Reef Central! I see that your occupation is LFS, & I was wondering if you had any insight on the waters these corals are being collected from. Do you know where the ones come from that you get in your store?
Old 10/30/2005, 07:26 PM
Moved On

were your polyps cut off at the base of the polyp? They are hollow/meat filled all the way down to the base where it attaches to the colony so the inner meat may be damaged from being cut away from the colony. Especially if it was mailed immeadiately after the cuts were made.

This is why I don't like fragging them

Flow does help open them up, make sure to dose some strontium to keep the meat on the bone =)
Old 10/30/2005, 10:58 PM
Premium Member

The head has a decent base all around it and it is not really cut into the head at all.

I just ran to double check the base and it is starting to open up more. I shot some shrimp at it about 15 minutes ago and it is now reacting .... got to run and feed it more!!! Thanks everone!

Sara