Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > LPS Keepers
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10/10/2005, 09:12 PM
TRC Leader

I'd say a suncoral or Tubastrea.
Old 10/10/2005, 09:37 PM
Is it Charles or Jen? =)

Quote:
Originally posted by hceiv
Nice collection. I saw that last one "eye of the sea" at tat's fish, and the person I talked to said that they are extremely rare, and they have one of 5 in the United States. I thought that seemed like a bold statement, but do you think they are really THAT rare, or did the guy I talk to just not know how many there really are in the US?

Also, do those Duncanopsammia puff up like the eyes or dendros or do they stay pretty deflated? Thanks, Harry
Thanks for the nice comments!!!=) The Eye appears to be very limited, I don't know the exact amount that are here but I am pretty sure you can count all on two hands. They eat everything they can get a hold of. Today, I had a hermit get to close and let's just say The Eye is eating good tonight.

The duncans don't puff up as far as I seen but they eat like the other two and is pretty cool to watch. They do deflate if touched.
Old 10/10/2005, 10:04 PM
Premium Member

how is the growth on the eye?
Old 10/20/2005, 09:58 PM
Registered Member

I DID IT!!! I have 2 different colorforms of dendros coming Tuesday. I still have my reservations about the horses, but melev has a cb reidi in his 2g pico who has touched his dendro. He said the horse moved on, must not have liked it, but the dendro didn't try to hold on. I have my refugium scaped so that they can go in there if a problem comes up, when we finally get into a new house I'm planning on setting up a large lps dominated tank I would move them to. Have any of you kept more than 1 color form close to eachother? I'm wondering if they'd sting eachother...
Old 10/20/2005, 11:40 PM
TRC Leader

Congrats!
Old 10/21/2005, 04:01 PM
This is my Passion

I wish the pics had come out a bit clearer...but here is my dendro having a food tug-of-war with itself

Old 10/21/2005, 04:06 PM
Registered Member

sweet piece, how long have you had it?
Old 10/21/2005, 04:55 PM
This is my Passion

Thank you..gee I don't know how long it's been...maybe 4 or 5 months or so.Long enough for that new baby polyp to pop out!
Old 10/21/2005, 11:42 PM
Registered Member

I love the budding shots everyone has submitted. Waterfaller, does the baby eat yet?
Old 10/22/2005, 04:12 AM
This is my Passion

Quote:
Originally posted by WendyMc
Waterfaller, does the baby eat yet?
Yes he does...this coral should be named hungrophyllia...
Old 10/22/2005, 11:21 PM
Registered Member

How often & what types of food are you feeding? I can't wait to get mine next Tuesday. I don't have a camera, but the seller has given me permission to post his photo. I just don't want to put it up until it acclimates & is healthy & I'm sure it actually looks like the pic. Not that I've EVER had a coral turn out completely different once it arrives...
Old 10/23/2005, 12:29 AM
TRC Leader

I feed my tank mysis once or twice daily for Casper, and the dendro gets to eat then. There is a baby on mine as well. It is very small, but I see it.
Old 10/23/2005, 02:20 AM
This is my Passion

I was told that mysis or cyclop-eeze is ok sometimes,but that it needed more solid food like squid,clam,shrimp...so I get these at the grocers.After feeding it gets gorgeous all day!
Old 10/23/2005, 10:01 AM
Moved On

HOo much are these thing selling for?
Old 10/23/2005, 11:26 AM
Registered Member

The only thing I see with mine.It seems to open up more when the lights are off.And it doesn't matter if it's feed or not.
Old 10/23/2005, 02:21 PM
TRC Leader

Quote:
Originally posted by Jennsb
HOo much are these thing selling for?
$50 per polyp.
Old 10/23/2005, 02:22 PM
TRC Leader

Quote:
Originally posted by Reefflections
The only thing I see with mine.It seems to open up more when the lights are off.And it doesn't matter if it's feed or not.
But feeding is better.
Old 10/23/2005, 08:49 PM
Premium Member

here's mine. it's in a 40gal w/my rhinopias.
Old 10/24/2005, 10:53 PM
Registered Member

john37, how long have you had it, & what is your feeding regimin? Also, flow & lighting conditions pleze??? Thanks for posting your pic. It's nice! Was it wild or captive prop?
Old 10/24/2005, 10:54 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by melev
It is very small, but I see it.
If I had $60 for every time I heard that one...I'd have more dendros!
Old 10/25/2005, 12:14 AM
TRC Leader

Wendy, it is very small. Like a baby aiptasia, or a baby suncoral. Perhaps a 1/10th of a zoanthid polyp, or less. I'm telling you it is tiny!
Old 10/25/2005, 01:16 AM
Premium Member

i've had it for about a month and a half now. i feed it frozen mysis and prime reef flakes. there are probably like 8 babies growing on the top and bottom. i dont feed all of them mostly the 3 big heads and the medium one. Flow wise i try to keep them in medium to low flow. not because the flow bothers them but because the high flow blows the food out of the feeders. i had them under a 250watt halide for a lil while and now they're under pc's. they didnt really care about the change. while under the halides they closed up, i dont think it's because of the lighting though, i think because my potters angel might have been picking at them. as for it being wild or captive...i'm really not sure. i really like it.
Old 10/26/2005, 07:37 PM
Registered Member

OK, got my dendros from Roe's (I know, controversial, but I thought since my 1st order was good I should be a repeat customer). As far as I can tell, they look like normal sized polyps. How long did your dendros take to open up when you 1st got them? Mine haven't showed me any tents yet...(I've been away from the tank for 10 hrs, I'm hoping I'll get to see expansion when I get home).
Old 10/26/2005, 07:49 PM
THE 1 loss B(C)S winner!

Holy cow has the price gone up? I got a couple mini colonies for about $30/polyp and he didn't charge me for a baby polyp. (edit - I'm not complaining about the prices, I never do that. just commenting that prices seem to have gone up).

WendyMc I think it took mine a couple days. One looked like it wasn't going to make it, but made a full recovery within a couple weeks. I got mine from Aquadesignz. I love them, people notice them in the tank right away.

Closed minds should come with closed mouths.

Last edited by Fliger; 10/26/2005 at 08:02 PM.
Old 10/26/2005, 08:02 PM
Registered Member

Thanks, fliger. I have healthy looking little colonies as far as I can see. I got a 3 head which is supposed to have fluorescent yellow tentacles, & a 2 head common orange color form. Anyone else have theirs take some time to open?