Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/05/2008, 01:41 PM
Registered Member

Filamented Flasher Wrasse Questions...

Hello,

Newbie to the hobby and forum. Have questions about the Filamented Flasher Wrasse I recently added to my tank.

First can someone confirm that this is a Filamented Flasher?

After about a week in the tank, he has gotten pretty territorial and aggressive. It seems that the aggression is limited to only other wrasses though. I also have a Radiant and a Golden (Yellow) wrasse. They all get along with everything else... except the flasher

Is this normal? I though the flashers were very timid and peaceful. Would adding a female flasher help? Having trouble finding a female Filamented Flasher but the LFS does have female McCoskers. Would that be a bad idea to put a female McCoskers in?

Appreciate any advice.

Thanks.

Last edited by will16; 01/05/2008 at 02:29 PM.
Old 01/05/2008, 01:53 PM
Moved On

pictures didnt show up. try photobucket
Old 01/05/2008, 02:55 PM
Registered Member

Sorry, having a problem with direct links to images. Can you try this?

Gallery
Old 01/05/2008, 03:43 PM
Moved On

yup that works. looks like a filimented. as for agression you know as a general rule they are not. but all fish arent the same personality wise. I have a purple tang who is a big baby and wont beat up on any new fish. even at 4 inches., but every other purple/yellow ive dealt with has been a killer. so you got unlucky and got a very agressive flasher. maybe one of your wrasses will put him in his place. if he becomes a big issue and your scared he will kill one of your currentfish from agression i would try to get him out
Old 01/05/2008, 04:54 PM
Premium Member

welcome will16..that is a filament flasher very nice one i might add..for the most part flashers are not that aggressive...but every fish is different..i had a lubbcoks fairy that was a monster..i always use a specimen cup when adding any new fish to allow the ones inside to get use to the new one..that sometimes does not work..but for the most part it does...the aggression might slow down over the next few days so i would maybe give it a little more time and see how things go.if not you might have to remove it but he might be trying to stake out territory himself...how big is your tank??..also i don't think adding any females would really help things
Old 01/06/2008, 10:49 AM
Registered Member

Thanks for the info. My tank is 45 gallons. The larger Radiant Wrasse has gone into hiding for the past day. Hope things settle down. Not sure how I would even get the flasher out. When he chases the other fish, its at like mach 2. Don't know how I could catch him.