Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/30/2007, 09:32 PM
Registered Member

Mixing Angelfish with dwarf angels

I am thinking about breaking down my 29 gallon and putting the fish into my new 140 gallon tank. I want to be able to focus all my attention on the larger tank. My 140 gallon currently has a juvenile Blue Angelfish. My biocube has a flame angel. I have heard that it may be possible to have dwarf angels with large angels. Is it just an all around bad idea? Currently the flame angel is a little bigger than the juvenile Blue Angelfish. If I was to wait until the Blue Angel is a great deal larger than the flame would that work?

Any advice would be very appreciated. I love the flame angel and it deserves to be in the 140 gallon tank.

Flame Angel

Blue Angel
Old 12/30/2007, 10:10 PM
Registered Member

I have done it in the past with queen, cherub and potters, I also have mixed rock beauty with cherubs, potters and fishers. I don't think you will have too much trouble except for the similar size they may not get along. When I mix angels in the past they were very different colors (as yours are) and different sizes. Right now though I have many different sp of pygmys in each of my 2 tanks and the trio of rock beauty.

One interesting thing, it is very hard to tell from your photo, but your blue may in be a townsend. Townsend is a naturally occuring hybrid between queen and blue and IMO it is prettier then blue, but not as pretty as queen. The reason I think this is there is a hint of a crown in the photo, look at the black on the nape of the neck you can see what looks like a blue bar. Pure blues don't have this and queens have the beginning of the crown which is a full blue "U" shaped ring with a black center. It may just be the photo, but watch as it grows, blues lose the yellow tail (except for the edge), townsends have a 1/2 yellow tail and queens keep the yellow tail. It is not a queen, the white bars are wrong, but it may be a hybrid, and as I said, I believe a more beautiful fish. Whatever it is, care is the same, and I may be wrong (I frequently am), it may just be the way the color shows up on the photo, still all in all queens, blues, and townsends are my favorite lg angels.
Old 12/30/2007, 11:07 PM
Registered Member

Thanks for the advice philter4. I would really like for this to work. I know how hard it is to remove a fish once it is in the tank so I want to learn all I can.

Your hunch about the actual type of angel is interesting. I am going to spend the next hour searching for examples of the Townsend and queen angels online. Eather way I will be happy especially if it will get along with my flame angel.
Old 12/30/2007, 11:37 PM
Registered Member

I have kept dwarf angels with large angels for years with no problem. Since the Blue Angel is a juvi it will most likely not be territorial since some have been known to act as cleaner fish when very young. The Flame Angel will be the new kid on the block so it will be trying to get use to it's new surroundings. You should not have a problem.
Old 12/30/2007, 11:43 PM
Registered Member

Thanks Tremelle. That is really good to hear. The flame angel has grown and is really to much fish for a 29 gallon tank.
Old 12/31/2007, 12:22 AM
Premium Member

Dwarfs & large can coexist fine, the issues can be more than one dwarf together or more than one large angels.
Old 12/31/2007, 01:18 AM
Registered Member

Thanks Reef Doug. I think I am going to give it a try. At first I am sure the Blue Angelfish will be disappointed but it will be top fish soon enough.