Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > NorthEast Region-Reef Club Forums > Connecticut Area Reef Society (C.T.A.R.S.)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/18/2007, 10:54 PM
Registered Member

t5s from last group buy

Just curious how the T5s are holding up from the last group buy from people who bought them. I just came home from the meeting and 2 of my bulbs had burned out. I've had this happen once before with a GE6500 when I first started the system a couple years ago, but even that one lasted 6 months. ???
Old 11/19/2007, 07:44 AM
B-Boy AZTEC

that sux to hear.... i didn't buy any so i couldn't tell ya, but i can tell ya the TX5 is the ish!!!!! hahah i been running the fixture 3-5hrs a day and still bleaching my corals!! *** lol. gotta be that much more par...

ok now back to topic! that sux man, Do you think its bc you are running them on the icecap?? aren't there certain bulbs that are designed to run on a 660 and then some that are not? not sure but i thought the UVL's were the best ones to run on the 660s?? again i am not sure just trying to remember what i read while back when i first got into T-5's. Hope someone else chimes in.
Old 11/19/2007, 10:13 AM
Registered Member

Rich, yeah, I'm not sure or aware of any issues with the T5s on Icecaps. I will say I'm a bit surprised as one of two bulbs that burned out is in the direct path of airflow from the fans while the other is right next to it so I can't believe that it died early from not being cooled down enough. Its only a 3 bulb 24" system with 2 fans blowing a total of 100cfm into the hood with a full open back.

I will agree though, that these T5s kick some serious butt when it comes to PAR.
Old 11/19/2007, 10:37 AM
B-Boy AZTEC

damn.... that sux man, sorry to hear that they suxored on you.
Old 11/19/2007, 10:37 AM
Premium Member

I've no experience and haven't looked it up, but how do they compare to halides? Of course, notwithstanding the need for more space to mount a halide. I had to install a 6" lift to get my original hood high enough to mount the PFO reflector for the MH.

I like the shimmer which is why I did not even think about the T5's, and I already had a retro PC setup for supplemental lighting.
Old 11/19/2007, 10:41 AM
B-Boy AZTEC

they are pretty much the same as long as they have individual reflectors per bulb. I had halides b4 and the shimmer was def very nice but i am not upset about loosing it, as coloration and growth is better with my bulb selection giving me the perfect color that ive always wanted

5 bulbs total
lined up as follows

Actinic(purple)
Actinic(blue

it gives me great color! not 20k blue but kind of like 14k look? with the coloration of 20k and the growth of 10k its all in the light combo selection! hahah
Old 11/19/2007, 11:50 AM
Registered Member

I picked up a bunch of bulbs and I am not a fan of the GE 6500. The aquaz bulbs work well, I had them on my tank for 18months and finally replaced them. I have not have a problem with them blowing but there was a time recently when they did not light up for me (the GE bulbs) The problem corrected itself.

As for bleaching, when I replaced my old PC fixture with the Aquatinics T5 I bleached out all my softies. I had to move them all to the bottom then slowly moved them up. I think these lights take about 1 month to break in properly. They throw so much par most softies can not handle it with out some acclimation..

Rich move some stuff lower in the tank let them color back up them move up. I did a Par post about 2 years ago on here. I think the par dropped off 100 for every inch?

I can say some of my stuff colored up without moving them lower but things like Palythoas, protopalythoas and some of my zoas needed to be moved. My Palythoas turned ALBINO..

Good Luck.
Old 11/19/2007, 12:02 PM
B-Boy AZTEC

thanks for the tip chuck, all my rics, and zoa's are at the bottom already, and its just my SPS that i can see the polyps starting to go albino on me lol.... i might just get some kind of shading going in the tank vs. less photo period....

thanks again Chuck
Old 11/19/2007, 12:04 PM
Registered Member

Ya shorten the photo period..

welcome

Are albinos worth more? Try to sell some..
Old 11/19/2007, 12:25 PM
B-Boy AZTEC

lmao!! hmmm will look into it hahahhah
Old 11/19/2007, 12:33 PM
Paracentropyge Boyeli

Andy formerly from Ice Cap had told me that T5 bulbs actually last longer on Ice Cap ballast. Something about overdriven and frequency.
He stated that you should not have the ends of the T5 bulb dim/blacken as opposed to a standard ballast.
Old 11/19/2007, 01:24 PM
Registered Member

Chuck, is your Aquatinics unit overdriving your bulbs?

I agree, after that one time with the GE6500s I wasn't impressed with the color or quality of the bulb and won't use again. Then again, I've had the same experience with the one time I purchased a UVL super actinic. The Geisman have worked really well for me in the past.
Old 11/19/2007, 02:28 PM
Registered Member

I have some Geisman mixed with my Aquaz and the Geisman are awesome. I payed more than 2X's as much for them though. The GE bulbs are junk for color.

My fixture is not overdriving. I have had 2 Aquatinics fixtures and neither were over driven. When I saw what 5 normal driven T5 bulbs did to my corals I was wondering why people were using 6-8 bulbs and overdriving them? My light is very bright, as many people have seen I can keep SPS on the bottom of my tank..

These are pics of my tank with the Aquaz bulbs.

http://www.imagestation.com/album/pi...?id=2093697826
Old 11/19/2007, 03:23 PM
RC Sponsor

ctreefer,

Most T5 HO lamps are not really meant to be overdriven. If you would like, you can stop by and I'll replace the burnt out lamps. Please call me with a day and time.

Thank you,

Tom
Aquactinics
203-234-9286
Old 11/19/2007, 04:17 PM
Registered Member

Tom, that's incredibly generous of you, but I don't feel right taking the bulbs. You shouldn't be responsible for bulbs if they weren't in your fixtures.

I can't believe I'm passing up the opportunity to see your facility again though. That's one of the best meetings I've been to.

The only reason I'm overdriving them I hate to say is because I'm cheap. I had an Icecap 430 ballast lying around from an old VHO setup I had and needed something to drive my T5's when I was planning the lighting. At the time everyone was saying more bulbs and overdrive and cool them (2-3 years ago) and after running just 3 on a 29 gallon tank I have to say that its way more light than I need. One day I might finally chalk up a few bucks and buy a ballast suitable for 3 bulbs and no longer overdrive them. I do really like Icecap ballasts though and this baby has been performing for me for some 7 or 8 years.

Thanks again though.
Old 11/19/2007, 06:35 PM
B-Boy AZTEC

if you still have that 430 i am pretty sure you can run 3bulbs at HO vs the VHO and i am sure you will still have great coloration!!
Old 11/19/2007, 08:15 PM
Registered Member

Hey Tom.
Like I said, I personally see no reason to overdrive them. I got nervous that my lights were too bright at first.

Cheers,
Chuck
Old 12/02/2007, 06:19 PM
Registered Member

I tried to do a search to see if anyone else was having similar problems but didn't find anything. Could be my system isn't running right.

Another one just burned out.

Will stick to Geissman from now on.