Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > West Region-Reef Club Forums > Southern California Reefers
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10/10/2006, 11:29 AM
Where'd my check go?!

Question Pulsing Xenia - why arent they growing?

I got a small frag from a RC Member of pulsing xenia on a piece of dead acro skeleton. I have had it for 2 months or so, and they just dont seem to be growing/ propogating. I have plenty of nutrients (ie Nitrates in the 20ppm range)... using a combo of MH and PC lighting. Is there something I am missing? I have it placed in an area of lower flow. I would eventually like for them to grow onto a small piece of lr rubble that I placed near it so I can throw that in my fuge. LMK any ideas or suggestions you may have. Thanks!

-TJ

-TJ
Old 10/10/2006, 12:38 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Xenia require at least moderate water flow. They are one of the few corals that seem content to be right against the strong output of a powerhead. In still waters the pumping usually diminishes and the coral goes into decline.
Xenia Info

Be careful what you wish for... I can't get this stuff to stop growing.
Old 10/10/2006, 12:38 PM
Registered Member

They need Iodine....lots of it. Your tank consumes more than what a whaterchange can provide. So buy some type of supplement of Iodine and dose it regularly.

Sam
Old 10/10/2006, 12:46 PM
Crawfish Eating Reefer

Don't dose iodine unless you test for it. Speaking from the experience of my iodine-happy days. Be careful.
Old 10/10/2006, 01:06 PM
Registered Member

i was told to dose iodine every 3 days and it was safe but like everyone said test before dose and my tank i dose iodine every 5 days. My xenia did better in a low flow corner of my tank and i started with 3 stalks and now i have 7 stalks.
HTH
Kenny
Old 10/10/2006, 01:20 PM
Registered Member

Mn Xenia did best when they were right i front of my Tunze Turbelle Stream power head. In the same tank the Xenia that didn't get direct flow all died.

I would be careful when dosing Iodine.

Josh
Old 10/10/2006, 01:37 PM
Registered Member

They like light too... they always grow straight up to the light and will even climb the walls of the tank to get as high as possible.

When they do grow though, they can grow an inch a week and need lots of trimming. O_o
Old 10/10/2006, 02:31 PM
Registered Member

Anthony,
The Xenia I gave you I believe are the Pom Pom (Red Sea) version which grow slower and much easier to manage. If you want a species that grows wild then I'd look for the common Elongata.
Old 10/10/2006, 02:35 PM
Registered Member

All tanks are different, but my previous setup grew a lot of Xenia and was only dosed with balanced 2part additives. No excess iodine was dosed. I've found they like to grow up hills, try puting a rock next to it.

Join SCMAS, "It's a good thing."
Old 10/10/2006, 03:25 PM
Where'd my check go?!

Quote:
Originally posted by IsaaX
Anthony,
The Xenia I gave you I believe are the Pom Pom (Red Sea) version which grow slower and much easier to manage. If you want a species that grows wild then I'd look for the common Elongata.
Ahhh... IC. Thanks for the clarification.

-TJ
Old 10/10/2006, 03:49 PM
Registered Member

Hi Tj,

From what I know of Xenia dont like high lvls of nitrate. 20ppm is abit high and they wont grow as well. Try to get your nitrates down as low as possible. Xenias require abit of high water quality for them to flourish as do many other types of coral.

Hope that helps

Huy
Old 10/10/2006, 04:05 PM
prememum member

Garf.org has xenia propagation info.
Old 10/10/2006, 04:28 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Reef NuTTZ
Hi Tj,

From what I know of Xenia dont like high lvls of nitrate. 20ppm is abit high and they wont grow as well. Try to get your nitrates down as low as possible. Xenias require abit of high water quality for them to flourish as do many other types of coral.

Hope that helps

Huy
That is the first time I have ever heard that about xenia. The common advice is that xenia likes to be a little dirty, they say nitrates are good for xenia.
Old 10/10/2006, 05:15 PM
Where'd my check go?!

That is the exact opposite of everything I have heard too. But... I do need to get trates down, since I have more corals and inverts now. Thanks everyone.

-TJ
Old 10/10/2006, 05:49 PM
Registered Member

I used to dose Iodine until I came across these articles written by Randy Holmes:

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/iss...il2003/chem.htm

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/mar2003/chem.htm

More info on Nitrates in reef tanks:

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/iss...st2003/chem.htm
Old 10/10/2006, 05:52 PM
Registered Member

Forgot to mention that you have to scroll down the Issue Index to the month of March 2003, last entry titled "Iodine in Reef Aquaria Part 1"
Old 10/10/2006, 09:37 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ®eefer
That is the first time I have ever heard that about xenia. The common advice is that xenia likes to be a little dirty, they say nitrates are good for xenia.
hmm sorry about that i didnt know they needed nitrate to grow, My LFS tells me that water has to be good for them to grow. when I come back to tell them my xenias died. They would tell me that my nitrates were too high. About 25-30ppm and they were pom pom xenias, the little pinkish ones.