Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09/14/2007, 04:03 PM
Registered Member

Treated lumber in tank stands

Is pressure treated lumber ok to use in tank stands? Thought since it was suited for exterior use that it would do good as a stand frame since it would be exposed to constant moisture. Plus building a fence and have some left over.
Old 09/14/2007, 04:23 PM
Registered Member

Unless you get KDAT (kiln dried after treatment) lumber, your average piece of treated material is still wet when you purchase it. It will more than likely warp as it dries, and in something like a stand where a level surface is so important I wouldn't recommend it (as ideal). Plenty of people use it though, so since you have some laying around you can use it. Just keep the warping issue in mind, secure everything together very well, and you should be fine.
Old 09/14/2007, 04:45 PM
Registered Member

One thing to remember is that the chemicals used to treat lumber are toxic. I doubt it would be a problem, but it's worth considering.
Old 09/14/2007, 05:33 PM
www.kandnsales.net

copper being a main element, hence the green color. though not so toxic anymore since the switch from cca to acq ect.
Old 09/14/2007, 05:39 PM
Registered Member

Yeah, I've considered that before, but with so many people using treated material, I've come to the conclusion that it's a non-issue. Of course, you probably shouldn't sand on it or drill it once you have it setup unless the tanks are covered, that's about the only way the chemicals could be introduced to the water.
Old 09/14/2007, 05:56 PM
Registered Member

I wouldnt worry about the chemicals but the moisture as stated earlier is a issue. However its a issue in all lumber KD is misleading. It just means it went into the kiln it doesnt mean that the moisture was dropped low enough to prevent warping. Construction lumber 2x4's and 6's are KD to just under 20%. This is the point at which bacteria cannot survive and the wood wont rot. High production kilns pull at 19% which feels real dry to the touch and eye. Lumber dried for furniture is dried to 6% and should be stored in a dry , low humidity area less than 65% to maintain that 6%. So in short HD 2x's are usually 20+%. Ask the lumber guy to probe it with a moisture meter. If they cant or wont a cheap meter is only about $20 but I know that HD does random moisture check to check their supplier.

Don
Old 09/15/2007, 03:39 PM
www.kandnsales.net

Quote:
Originally posted by woz9683
Yeah, I've considered that before, but with so many people using treated material, I've come to the conclusion that it's a non-issue. Of course, you probably shouldn't sand on it or drill it once you have it setup unless the tanks are covered, that's about the only way the chemicals could be introduced to the water.
i seen people using the stuff for sumps and such. i believe the moisture issue is more a concern for stand construction. i hate pressure treated lumber for that reason. when i redid the front porch i used cedar and pine. after the severe twisting and warping that resulted of pressure tyreated lumber i used on my first partial attempt.
Old 09/16/2007, 07:47 AM
Premium Member

One thing I considered when deciding not to use treated wood was the possibility that spills may run over the treated lumber and drip into the sump depending on design. If it does it may pickup some of the chemicals in the lumber. This may be a little extreme but I am quite fearful of the copper issue.
Old 09/16/2007, 09:00 AM
Registered Member

EJ,
If you are spraying water around so much that it is randomly dropping into your sump you ought to be more worried about rotting the floor out of your house or catching it on fire from the water in your electrical. Seriously, in order to leach enough copper or anything else out of the wood to do any harm you would have to have a near continuous stream of water spraying on the wood.
Old 09/16/2007, 11:28 AM
Premium Member

Mine warped a good amount after I set up my frag system. I had the wood corners extending 24" above the top of the tank so I could hang my lights from it. It warped so much that the wood ended up touching my tank (bridging the 3" gap). I ended up taking a jigsaw and cutting all 4 extensions off and hanging the light from the ceiling.

I was really surprised at just how much it did warp. I won't build another stand with it again.
Old 09/16/2007, 11:43 PM
Registered Member

Epoxy comes to the rescue.

I use kiln dry limber for tank and coat with epoxy, at least the inside, preferably the whole stand.