Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08/09/2007, 08:57 AM
RC Sponsor

Flint&Eric,

To help us better understand what customers are looking for, could you please tell me what about the other fixtures' looks you like and what you would like to see in a design?

Thank you,

Tom
Aquactinics

Quote:
Originally posted by Flint&Eric
honestly, no i dont care for the look of them...they are great fixtures and extremely well made, but i wouldnt run one suspended from the ceiling in my home. jmo.
Old 08/09/2007, 09:22 AM
pwn3d by skimzor

that's easy...everyone wants those sexy slimline t5 fixtures that we see in europe...
my personal favorite is the xtreme light by arche noah w/ the super skinny aluminum housing that has hqi + t5+led+controller...absolutely awesome...if im going to cough up all this extra cash for something high end i also want it to look high end it would be easy enought to make just a t5 unit look as nice, im sure...
http://www.xtremelight.de/en/index.html

case in point the solaris...super expensive high end light that looks like crap, and they smacked the controller on the front middle of the unit..... my daughter and a monkey could have designed a better looking unit. but then look at the aquaillumination unit, very sexy w/ the silver and black, and blue tooth remote controller on the side, like night and day...
Old 08/09/2007, 09:25 AM
g l a s s b o x

sure...honestly if there is anything i can do to assist in your future designs let me know. i'd be more than happy to help out.

- the edges. at the end of your fixtures the metal is bent over the sides. a small detail i know, but a fixture with flush edges would look much more attractive.

-shape. the overall shape is not neutral enough to blend in, and not striking enough to make you enjoy it. a flush boxier fixture simmilar to kz would look good, and probably cheaper too. If you want the sloped front do something interesting with it.

-logo. I am all for branding products, but something simple and smaller would help. the color really distracts. perhaps having the same logo but in a flat/gloss contrast.

- finish. the overall finish is not there. it's like a paint job on a car, it can make or break it. i personally love raw metal...brushed aluminum is always a safe bet a flat black would also look sleek.

go to a lighting store such as lightology, artemide, or luminaire....look at their fixtures and get some ideas. think of this as art, form and function. if you need any design help or want any constructive criticsm again i'd be willing to help.

aquarium lighting is ugly. if you were able to break that trend, you will attract an entirely new client base.

jmo.

eric

"i like bubbly, and i love animals - so it works out well"

"there are a lot of people out there who think they have a modern house simply because they have alot of steel in it"
Old 08/09/2007, 09:29 AM
g l a s s b o x

koraltek, i've never seen that fixture....very sexy indeed. and i couldnt agree more about the solaris. it could save me $100 a month on electricty, but you would have to pay me to put that over my tank.

"there are a lot of people out there who think they have a modern house simply because they have alot of steel in it"
Old 08/09/2007, 09:36 AM
RC Sponsor

koraltek. Thank you for your input.

Flint&Eric,
We have several series of fixtures, each with a different design. Could you please be more specific about which series you are referring too? Also. I don't want to take away from other people's threads so if it is alright with you I would like to continue this discussion in our sponsor forum here on RC.

Thank you,

Tom
Aquactinics
Old 08/09/2007, 09:39 AM
pwn3d by skimzor

sorry to butt in, i didnt notice you were asking him individually
Old 08/09/2007, 09:40 AM
g l a s s b o x

to your forum it is.

Old 08/09/2007, 09:42 AM
RC Sponsor

koraltek,

No problem. I'm open for everyone's input. You are more then welcome to contribute to the discussion.

Thank you,

Tom
Aquactinics

edit: For those who were following the Aquactinics design discussion you can read further by clicking here Thank you.

Last edited by Aquactinics; 08/09/2007 at 10:07 AM.
Old 09/25/2007, 05:48 PM
Registered Member

KZ LED Coral Light with T5 and LED

. GHL light computer that can dimm the T5
. 36"L to 60"L x 26.5"W x 1.4"H
. 18 LED
. 3 shockproof input leads
. anodized aluminum with statin stainless steel

COST $2,800.00 to $4,240.00 from KZ

Old 09/26/2007, 02:45 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Flint&Eric
sure...honestly if there is anything i can do to assist in your future designs let me know. i'd be more than happy to help out.

- the edges. at the end of your fixtures the metal is bent over the sides. a small detail i know, but a fixture with flush edges would look much more attractive.

-shape. the overall shape is not neutral enough to blend in, and not striking enough to make you enjoy it. a flush boxier fixture simmilar to kz would look good, and probably cheaper too. If you want the sloped front do something interesting with it.

-logo. I am all for branding products, but something simple and smaller would help. the color really distracts. perhaps having the same logo but in a flat/gloss contrast.

- finish. the overall finish is not there. it's like a paint job on a car, it can make or break it. i personally love raw metal...brushed aluminum is always a safe bet a flat black would also look sleek.

go to a lighting store such as lightology, artemide, or luminaire....look at their fixtures and get some ideas. think of this as art, form and function. if you need any design help or want any constructive criticsm again i'd be willing to help.

aquarium lighting is ugly. if you were able to break that trend, you will attract an entirely new client base.

jmo.

eric
I could not agree with you more, I was in the maket for a T5 fixture and had heard great things about Aquatinics, but there is no way I could put that look into my modern house, it is like a new toyota from 1985, it will deffinitely do the job and never break down, but you will never get chicks in that car!!
Old 09/26/2007, 04:34 PM
g l a s s b o x

i hear you loud and clear

Old 09/26/2007, 05:56 PM
Registered Member

I too like the looks of some of the german/italian fixtures. The euro-look certainly catches my eye. I like the clean lines and clean asthetics of many of these fixtures. For those of us going hood-less, the low profile is mandatory. I want to show off the whole tank, which includes the fixture. Still waiting!