Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08/08/2007, 11:39 AM
Registered Member

Coral Banded Killer

We had a CBS in the main display for many months, probably about 5 and was doing great. Then we added a red serpent star and 4 emerald crabs. About 3 weeks after adding those we find the CBS out in the front on the sand bed half mangled but still alive.... we pulled him out put him in Q. he died a few days later ... will a Emerald or S star attack a CBS for fun? it did not appear to be eaten just mangled lol
no other occupants come to mind that could of done it but here is stock list just in case
120RR
yellow eye kole tank
mandarin
scoter blenny
clown
red searpent star
few emerald crabs
various snalis (astrea, mexican , nass, cerinth , bumblebee)
may still be one errant red leg hermit in there have not seen in months but he pops up from time to time lol ( was about the size of a nickle last i saw)

any thoughts on the CBS's killer??
Old 08/08/2007, 11:49 AM
Slightly Obsessed

My vote is for the serpent star....though to my understanding, the red serpent starfish aren't generally aggressive.
Old 08/08/2007, 11:50 AM
Premium Member

I have a medium sized CBS and he hides under the rocks. If he tries to come out he gets chased by my blenny. I have heard that emerald crabs are very aggressive and thats why I chose not to put them in my tank.. It could be the crabs but unless you have a cam setup on the tank its difficult to tell.
Old 08/08/2007, 12:47 PM
Registered Member

I had an emerald crab that would kill anything he could get his hands (er, claws) on - a CBS, cleaner shrimp, flame shrimp, and two small fish. I actually saw him attack and kill one of the fish.
Old 08/09/2007, 07:42 AM
Premium Member

Strange thing happened yesterday in my tank.. When I got home from work I saw my CBS floating around in the water all torn up. But then after inspecting I saw that it was only the shell or skin and the CBS molted. I then looked at his cave and sure enough he is in there and he is BIGGER, hehe.

Anyway you might still have your CBS in your tank. Perhaps it molted.
Old 08/09/2007, 07:52 AM
Registered Member

I would definitely make sure it didn't just molt. When my sally lightfoot first molted there were pieces everywhere.
Old 08/09/2007, 12:37 PM
Registered Member

was it a little one. Because mine was a medium sized one and every thing in the tank would live it alone i think they were afraid of it. always tried to grab a fish and he finally did and I didnt want it to get my ywg so he got taken out. but there is a possibility that it just died and other things found it and tore it up.
Old 08/09/2007, 12:45 PM
Registered Member

nope i know the molt ... when we fished out the mangled body he took off and he ate a bit in Q befor he passed =-( not a shell
Old 08/09/2007, 02:19 PM
How a relationship works

could be a larg crab hideing in the lr

Superman puts on Tim Tebow pajamas when he goes to bed

The Heisman as a sophomore nuff said
Old 08/10/2007, 01:18 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by reefnut2790
nope i know the molt ... when we fished out the mangled body he took off and he ate a bit in Q befor he passed =-( not a shell
Im sorry to hear that.. It was just strange that I experienced the same thing after posting and I thought perhaps your had molted also.
Old 08/10/2007, 03:15 PM
Registered Member

aye wish it had just been a molt Nanz. will probably never know what actually did him in just wanted to hear thoughts on what might have ... i was really thinking the searpent star was to blame ... have 2 larger emeralds but the CBS was around 4 inch long and dont think the emeralds coulda dropped him unless he was on his way out already. The star on the other hand is quite large ( quarter sized head and arms around 5 inch) and comes flying out of the rock work when we feed .. lol its scary sometimes. most people's searpent stars I have seen barely move .... ours looks like its in a race .... arms flying powering his way across the tank lol.