Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Fish Disease Treatment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/09/2007, 06:55 PM
Premium Member

cloudy eyes?

I have a mimic tang that has been in quarantine for about a month now and I noticed tonight both of his eyes are cloudy. The water perimeters are good, no ich or other visible signs of illness and he is eating good. He gets a variety of foods including frozen brine and herbivore mix soaked in garlic, vitachem and zoe usually once a day and algae sheets, flakes, pellets etc... there is a yellow belly hippo in there with him and his eyes are fine. appreciate you help or advice.

What could have caused this? Will this go away on it's own? What should I treat it with..
Old 12/09/2007, 07:05 PM
Team RC Member

Can you please list your exact water levels and tank info? Cloudy eyes are many times related to other problems such as ich or velvet. Ich may not be visable to you as of now as it's not visable to the human eye at certain stages in it's life cycle.
Old 12/11/2007, 02:10 PM
Registered Member

When did the yellow belly hippo get added?

What is your pH & ammonia?
Old 12/12/2007, 09:36 AM
Premium Member

Do a FW dip in a clear container. If you find "jelly" like things floating or on the bottom of the container then you have flukes. When they attach to the eyes it will make the eyes look cloudy, treat with Prazipro. If you find "dust" in the bottom then you have velvet and treat with Copper. If you find nothing then it could be ich or a bacterial issue. For bacterial issues with the eyes I usually use something like Maracyn II.