Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04/15/2004, 04:39 PM
Registered Member

fish info

I was going to put 2 percula clowns, a red spotted hawkfish, and a royal gramma in my 30 gallon, i have 45lbs of live rock and 40 lbs of live sand. i'm basically looking for feedback on the fish compatibility and info on some good snails, crabs..etc. to add.
Old 04/15/2004, 04:51 PM
Registered Member

Compatibility should be fine, though hawkfish will eat shrimp and other crustaceans so don't plan any of those.

Snails: astrae and/or turbo, nassa, and cerith are usually keepers, that is if the hawk doesn't snack them too lol
Old 04/15/2004, 04:52 PM
Registered Member

thanks, how many snails you think i need?
Old 04/15/2004, 05:09 PM
Premium Member

You don't want to start out with very many since you won't ahve a lot of food for them eat right away, I have a 55 and after 6 weeks of nothing but rock, I added 5 turbo astrea's, and in the next few weeks after I added a fighting conch and sally lightfoot crab and that was pretty much all I needed for several months, if you get too many they will eat all the food up and starve.
Old 04/15/2004, 05:12 PM
Registered Member

again thanks, i need all the outside imput i can get.
Old 04/15/2004, 06:54 PM
Premium Member

This is just my opinion but think long and hard about hermits, I got talked into them and I am not sure who I should shoot first myself for getting suckered or the LFS for suckering me, as far as I am concerned they are useless and they will ill your snails for their shells, and personally I hate the thought of paying 2 or 3 dollars for a snail only to have a 50 cent hermit kill it.

I am usually not one for violence but yesterday I got 5 new turbos (since the hemits have about wiped the ones I had out) after acclamating them I placed them on the sand, came back in 5 minutes and one the hermits had a snail flipped over and was trying to pull it out of the shell, the hermit ended up in the yard, and the snail is fine but any longer it would have been a 3 dollar hermit shell.

If input is what you want this is the place to get it, there are a lot of good people here with all different experiences and to me experience is the best teacher. Good Luck
Old 04/15/2004, 07:07 PM
Registered Member

thanks.