Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Anemones & Clownfish
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/17/2004, 12:18 PM
Registered Member

Maroon Vs Yellow Banded Maroon

can I put together a male maroon with a much larger female yellow banded maroon. Well they start to bond and maybe even mate latter down the road
Old 12/17/2004, 02:01 PM
Registered Member.

yes you can and they will bond the only thing is maroons are rather tempermental so you will want to watch them and if things get too rough you will want to pull the little guy i would suggest getting a specimine container and drilling holes in it for water movement and if it gets too rough ptut him in there and leave it in the tank so the female can still see him but cant beat him up. then after a few hours release him again and keep watch. you may need to do this a few times you may not.
Old 12/17/2004, 06:44 PM
Registered Member

yeah ppl mix and match them all the time. just introduce the male as you would any other marron clown. making sure that he is able to escape the wrath of the other until the female accepts him. i like the specimen container approach as well it works very well. good luck!
Old 12/17/2004, 10:20 PM
Registered Member

I just did the very same thing... worked like a charm! The female accepted the male right away with no agressiveness.
Old 12/19/2004, 05:49 PM
Registered Member

thats great news. hope it works for you as well TX
Old 12/19/2004, 07:41 PM
Anemone (Ah-Nehm-O-Nee)

speaking from experiance... i did the same thing 5 weeks ago; i got a big GSM and a small WSM - bought them out of seperate tanks at the LFS took them home and put them both in QT together at the same time and they bonded immediately... not a single nipped fin (though to be honest, my GSM may actually be a large WSM, because after getting her home the yellow is all but gone from her head stripe and the other 2 stripes never really had any yellow, but i digress). The point is, it should be OK, just watch very close for signs that the female is gonna open a can of Whoop ___ on the little guy. My female hosts the heater in the QT tank and the little male Hosts her so cute. only 4 more weeks in QT and they will have thier own tank (still waiting on the finall shipment of rock; should be here wednesday).

HTH,

You can trust me... I'm with the government.
Old 12/19/2004, 09:00 PM
Registered Member

I agree!!
Old 12/20/2004, 02:55 AM
Registered Member

IME with maroons you will know immeadiatly if she will accept him. Get the smallest mate you can find for a large female and let her see him during acclimation then just add him to the tank. 90% of the time the female will rush him and he will quiver then she will push him to her host and they will be inseperable. The other 10% is for the pairings that take a little longer due to stubborn male or just and incompatable mate. If she is not going to accept him you will know very quickly and be ready to pull him out before she gets too rough.
Old 12/20/2004, 02:08 PM
Registered Member

well I got both on Friday a large ysm female and a small wsm and they have hit off from day one not a single problem
Old 12/22/2004, 01:35 PM
Registered Member

hopefully it goes well!
Old 12/22/2004, 10:15 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by TX26257
well I got both on Friday a large ysm female and a small wsm and they have hit off from day one not a single problem
Are you sure the male is white strip? If the bands are wide I bet you got another gold as the gold really doesn't show until they mature. Sometimes over 9 months in captive bred.
Old 12/23/2004, 09:06 AM
Registered Member

all the males that i have had start off with white stripes but go gold after 4 months or so.