Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08/25/2007, 08:35 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by honda2sk
TUNZE OSMOLATOR - would you do it again?
You bet.
Old 08/25/2007, 08:37 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by marcrothschild
dhnguyn, you love to post negative comments...
Eeek, and that avatar. That is what the RC ignore feature is for
Old 08/25/2007, 08:59 AM
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by crumbletop
glad I'm not the only one who thought it deserved an ignore.
Old 08/25/2007, 09:05 AM
Moved On

Quote:
Ah yes and yours is just sooo much better.
Old 08/25/2007, 09:19 AM
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by marcrothschild
dhnguyn, you love to post negative comments about Tunze products, I have seen you flame people in so many threads regarding anything Tunze does....what gives?
The osmolator is a great product, I have been using one for over 3 years. It is low voltage, has numerous mounting options/hardware, has an accurate and easy to clean optical sensor, and it has 2 failsafe features. One is a float switch if the water level gets too high, the other is a timer. The top off will stop after 3 min. of continuous pumping. I have never had to replace the pump, but i bought one for 12 bucks to keep on hand if it ever poops out.
I think its money well spent.

I simply wanted to know what it is that set the Tunze Osmolator apart from say a JBJ ATO or similar units. Where in my posts here did I say anything negative about this unit?

And where do you people get off yourself being such arses... Or does spending lots of money on your equipment excuse you from such childish behaviour?
Old 08/25/2007, 09:49 AM
10 & Over Club
Coral Biographer

I have owned several different types including the tunze and the jbj... I recently went with the jbj to keep new system costs down and even though not a bad unit it des not compair to the tunze unit. First the amount of water that has to evaporate to set off the jbj unit is much greater. Also on the jbj one sensor turns on the pump and the other turn it off, The tunze unit the photosensor turns it on and off and the other is a safety.

One thing about the tunze is it may be more money but it comes with a very nice dosing pump, water return line and the bucket.

I would never buy anything except the tunze unit now unless someone comes out with a compairable unit.

Dave

Last edited by shred5; 08/25/2007 at 09:56 AM.
Old 08/25/2007, 10:06 AM
Charleston Reefer

/\/\/\

jbj can be set to many different modes. You just didn't have it set up correctly.

Old 08/25/2007, 10:20 AM
clownfish fan

for me i use mine in tank and without the accuracy of the optical eye my salinity would change more with the jbj plus the tunze is easier on the eyes.

there are many ways to skin a cat i dont think dhnguyen had anything too horrible to say.

you are coming off like a tunze hater D

you dont have to brag about who you ignore either
Old 08/25/2007, 10:47 AM
10 & Over Club
Coral Biographer

Kb-smoker I have it set up correctly mode b..

Dave
Old 08/25/2007, 11:11 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by GSMguy
you dont have to brag about who you ignore either
purely informational and aesthetic. Not everyone knows about this very useful feature
Old 08/25/2007, 11:21 AM
Moved On

Quote:
purely informational and aesthetic. Not everyone knows about this very useful feature
I'm glad it makes you feel like you're contributing something useful to the community. Nice example for your children to follow no doubt
Old 08/25/2007, 11:43 AM
Registered Member

I will step to his side and say in this thread I don't think he bashed only doubted its return on money. Nothing wrong with someone wanting proof that something works better. In this case I think he has been given good information. I would certainly hope that he has changed avatars and you guys weren't talking about the current one with the child picking his nose. If so for one it looks like a child playing around and two that very well could be his child. Anyway back to the Tunze, I am not one to buy tunze but after much research I just didn't see a better product on the market, in that price range and below. I am not about to say that others wouldn't perform as well, but I am going to say I walk away from my tank trusting that it will not overflow due to a top off malfunction.
Old 08/25/2007, 01:37 PM
Charleston Reefer

Quote:
Originally posted by shred5
Kb-smoker I have it set up correctly mode b..

Dave
well why complain about working the way you want it to? If you want to use only one float switch to turn on/off the pump just set it to mode A.
Old 08/25/2007, 01:57 PM
10 & Over Club
Coral Biographer

Quote:
Originally posted by Kb-smoker
well why complain about working the way you want it to? If you want to use only one float switch to turn on/off the pump just set it to mode A.
I was saying why the tunze is better... If the jbj was as good it would turn on and off with one and use the other as a safety in case one sticks.

Dave
Old 08/25/2007, 08:18 PM
Registered Member

i would buy another one again
Old 08/25/2007, 09:03 PM
Catch and release

The Osmolator is probably the best thing I've ever bought for my tanks.....triple redundant with an optical switch that has worked like a charm for me for years....haven't even needed the redundancy but I'm glad I have it
Old 08/25/2007, 10:20 PM
Red Bug Survivor 2006

I would buy another one without hesitation.

Click on the red house to view my build thread
Old 08/25/2007, 10:54 PM
Got Salt!

I had good luck with both the osmolulator and the litermeter3
Old 08/26/2007, 12:56 AM
Moved On

Due to the overwhelming number of low ball offers on my Osmolator offered at the beginning of this thread, i have now installed it onto my 90g system. So i have to change my response to:

'Yes, I'd do it again'

Last edited by JetCat USA; 08/26/2007 at 01:12 AM.
Old 08/26/2007, 01:21 AM
><O>Euro-Reef*R*C500 <O><

i was throwing up the idea of using the jbj auto top off. i think i was going to save about 30 dollars after buying the pump and tubing.
then on ebay they had a new one that i won for 125 so im happy again.
sold my first one because i though i was quiting the hobby LOL.

glad i went back with tunze.
i have seen very little crap that tunze makes.
Old 08/26/2007, 09:40 PM
Registered Member

I was a bit put off by the price of the Tunze, but I was very impressed with its features, quality and failsafe systems.

What did I do? I waited until I could buy a used one for $100 and bought a new pump for $16.

Love it! Worth the wait!
Old 08/26/2007, 10:24 PM
Premium Member

They are wonderful, I bought one for my lagoon tank that does not have a sump and it does a perfect job of maintaining the water level. I would defiantly buy one again.
Old 08/26/2007, 11:36 PM
Registered Member

I have a tunze top off and I have used it for about three months. The optical sensor fails about once a month. The second float sensor turns the pump off and it sounds an alarm.

I sent the sensor back to Tunze and they sent it back to me. I still get the same failure from time to time. It may be that the optical sensor needs to be cleaned every week.

Only problem I have is that I drop kalk using the tunze kalk bottle connected to the topoff pump. When the optical sensor fails, I get too much kalk going into the sump and into the tank.

For the money, I was hoping the optical sensor would keep the water level at a precise point without error. Does anyone else get the same failure from time to time?
Old 08/26/2007, 11:46 PM
Registered Member

Thumbs up

I've got one of these, and yes, I'd definitely do it again.

Why?

I bought it to replace my autotopoff.com autotop-off system that electrocuted me three times.

No, I kid you not. I couldn't figure out where the voltage was coming from until I opened it up and found a small nick in the float switch wire.

The Tunze doesn't have and never will have this issue. It runs at 9V total. That right there was a good enough reason for me to upgrade to it, and I certainly don't regret it.

I don't know what the JBJ autotop-off voltage is.

Also, I haven't had to clean the optical sensor once yet in 6 months of use, dosing kalk and using a calcium reactor. It hasn't failed me in the slightest.

Yes, its expensive, and yes, perhaps excessively so, but in the end I don't regret the purchase.
Old 08/27/2007, 07:30 AM
Premium Member

The osmolator is the best purchase i have made for a tank. They are absolutely wonderfull especially if you need something to dose small amounts for kalk.