Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > Zoanthids
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03/09/2006, 10:17 AM
Registered Member

Zoo's

I just posted this under another forum & figured it should have went in here. OUr question is we have a friend who glued his Zoo's to the back glass of his tank and now the entire glass is covered in Zoo's.

We feel this was not a good idea, but would like to hear what you have to say.

G & T
Old 03/09/2006, 11:14 AM
Premium Member

Sounds like a cool idea to me! LOL!
Old 03/09/2006, 11:20 AM
Registered Member

Yepp, I'm in the process of doing just that. I think it's look way too kewl. Can you post a pic of what it looks like?
Old 03/09/2006, 11:29 AM
Teem Zissou

i ask this in a polite and meaningful way (too easy to misread when you type, heh!): why do you think it's a bad idea?

i've read some people doing this and one concern is that the mat could trap detritus and what not. especially if done as a zoa floor where things tend to settle. i'd think it would be less of an issue on the back wall though.

a lot of us turkey-baste our zoas to prevent this buildup which might be a constant battle if your entire floor was zoanthids. but again - not sure on the back wall.

on the plus side, it would be really easy to frag those zoas (if they are within reach). a razor blade cut to separate the frag followed by a razor blade scraping of the glass, boom-badda-bing, a frag!
Old 03/09/2006, 11:47 AM
Registered Member

I am sorry I guess when I said this not be a good idea I should have explaind myself a little better.

Was wondering if there would be any draw backs to doing this. I see by the rest of the answers in here that is not a bad idea and some of you are in the process of doing this now.

I also thought it was a great idea, but before I started to gue the Zoo's I wanted to make sure it was a good idea.

Sorry, if I used the incorrect wording in my statement.
Old 03/09/2006, 12:29 PM
Premium Member

That's cool keep us posted!! I think I'll try a few myself!
Old 03/09/2006, 07:43 PM
Moved On

That sounds pretty cool
Old 03/09/2006, 08:13 PM
saru mo ki kara ochiru

I agree, it's a great idea!
Just like whoda said, when it comes time for a frag, slice and dice, instant frags. Plus fragging will help promote growth.
If you're wise, you'll place colorful zoas on there so the frags help pay for the expense of growing them out.

Pictures!

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."
B.B.
Old 03/09/2006, 08:39 PM
No, I can't ID!

I've seen people do this on powerheads, PVC and overflows. They all looked great! I think I may try it in my tank.

Here are some potential problems.

1). When you want to frag those zoas you will have to do it in your tank so you will expose your system to a lot of zoa chemical warfare.
- You can overcome this issue by placing a rock against the back wall and allow your zoas to attach to the rock.

2.) You have a big stinging wall. I don't remember how bad their sting is in comparison to other corals.

3.) When you do water changes you will expose some zoas to air which may cause them to excrete toxins.

I don't think these issues are that big a deal so let's see some pictures when you get a chance.
Old 03/09/2006, 08:46 PM
saru mo ki kara ochiru

Fickle, you crazy man...

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."
B.B.
Old 03/09/2006, 09:04 PM
No, I can't ID!

Quote:
Originally posted by Reef Junkie
Fickle, you crazy man...

I've been told that a few times ....
Old 03/10/2006, 12:12 AM
I bleed orange and maroon

i've seen people try things like this, but with not much luck. i dont see any related problems though.

if someone has pics of zoas on back/side glass, on overflows, PVC etc, by all means please share some pics with us!

Richmond Reef Club

GO HOKIES!!
Old 03/10/2006, 12:32 AM
Teem Zissou

Quote:
Originally posted by ficklefins

3.) When you do water changes you will expose some zoas to air which may cause them to excrete toxins.
interesting...
Old 03/10/2006, 12:44 AM
I bleed orange and maroon

Quote:

aren't zoas a low tide coral? they are exposed to air all of the time in the ocean, for hours at a time in direct sunlight. people even ship them with just damp newspaper/papertowels with great success. if they secrete toxins when they are exposed to air...wouldnt the survivability as a low tide coral be contradictory?

not disagreeing with you, it just sounds odd

Richmond Reef Club

GO HOKIES!!
Old 03/10/2006, 01:23 AM
Premium Member

I think that it is a good thought, but I dont think it would be a problem.
Old 03/10/2006, 01:30 AM
taaa daaa

This was unintentional but believe it or not this is my heater and it still works

Old 03/10/2006, 02:30 AM
SHAKE & BAKE!!

I've seen this with xenia. The whole back wall pulsating, really cool.
Old 03/10/2006, 02:14 PM
No, I can't ID!

Quote:
Originally posted by whodah
interesting...
I wasn't trying to suggest that whenever they are exposed to air they will become defensive and excrete toxins. Just that it is more likely to happen when they are exposed because they are already being stressed. My zoas are exposed to the air with every water change I do, but they only get mad when I bump them or something like that.

Sorry for the confusion.
Old 03/10/2006, 06:33 PM
Registered Member

This sounds awesome, I am new to hobbie, what kind of glue do u guys use, anyone of frags, please pm me, I want to start a nice collection, thanks
Old 03/12/2006, 10:26 AM
Registered Member

A friend of mine had a huge section on the back wall of his tank covered in zoos, they did quite well. The zoos were easy to frag. Water changes didn't appear to pose a problem, the zoos just closed up, and quickly after the water was at the correct level the zoos opened up.

I guess one of the main downsides for him was when he decided to get a bigger tank, there was a lot of scraping to do, LOL.

I plan to attach a few to the back of my tank, especially once space becomes an issue.