Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09/13/2007, 06:03 PM
Registered Member

Am I just really lucky or just good that I can get certain hard to keep fish to eat?

So i'm pretty fortunate to have acquired a BLACK leapord wrasse which is beautiful. At first wouldn't touch prepared food, but now destroys mysiss shrimp like it's his last meal. Whenever I walk to the front of the tank he shoots to the top like my other fairy wrasses.

My other hard to get to eat fish is a copper banded butterfly. I was having a med side aptasia outbreak and no matter how many I killed with elim-aptais, for every 1 I killed 4 would take its place. Finially, I tried pepermints who I havn't seen in a month. So I was at a local lfs and saw a beautiful cbb and asked them to feed him and I saw him eat FLAKE FOOD.....i went . So I brought him home, and my a-hole sohal proceeded to be himself and chase him around the tank, but the funny thing is I saw the cbb stand up for himself and turn sideways and stick his spines up. The sohal went and swam away, but he really doesn't mess with him that much. The CBB is 5 inches, the sohal is 4 inches. So, i've got a feather duster outbreak in my tank and was tired of pulling them off the rocks. Thankfully, the cbb got rid of ALL of them withing a few hours . So I decided to try a few different food to see if I could get him to eat. Low and behold he tried a piece of mysis, spit it back out then finially finished it. This was about 4 days ago, and ever since them he eats so much mysis he throws it up, then eat the throw-up. Boy, am I luck or what?! Lol.....
Old 09/13/2007, 08:42 PM
Premium Member

Not to be a smart guy but I'd have to say or what. The throwing up is not a good sign. I would take it as the fish is so hungrgy it doesn't realize how much it has eatten. I think I'd be willing to bet it has some type of intestinal parasite. It is eating for two or two thousand.

Do you know if it was ever dewormed? Have you seen any fecals from the fish yet? If so what did they look like?

Carl
Old 09/13/2007, 10:39 PM
Registered Member

"POP!" That was the sound of BMW's bubble.

I hope its not a parasite.
Old 09/14/2007, 12:32 AM
Registered Member

He only throws up becuase he tries to fit 20+ pieces in his mouth at one time. My bluejaw trigger has been doing the same thing for well over a yeah, he's 3+ inches thick. No parasite. Just a case of eyes being bigger than his stomach. Trust me, he's NOT starved, I have a VERY well established 135 and he's the only thing that eats pods. No bubble burst, sorry.....
Old 09/14/2007, 09:55 AM
problem algae grower

Old 09/14/2007, 11:37 AM
Registered Member

How long have you had your CBB? I've tried them 3 different times. Two of them seamed to be eatting great, then after about 6 months they just died. I don't think the hard part is getting them to start eatting, but getting them to survive long term. I could be wrong, but this is what I believe.
Old 09/14/2007, 01:18 PM
Anti "So called Expert"

The keys to both fish is getting healthy specimans up front so kudos should go to wherever you got the fish for getting you healthy fish to begin with.
How long have you had either fish?
Old 09/14/2007, 09:19 PM
Our man in the East

I have to say that the only fish I ever kept which vomited was a lawnmower blenny. It started to eat masses of food and was always sick after eating. A few days later I noticed a huge moving bulge in its stomach. A massive parasite. I hope this isn't the case with your CBB.
Old 09/15/2007, 12:19 AM
Registered Member

i have a bmw ya man
Old 09/17/2007, 01:13 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BangkokMatt
I have to say that the only fish I ever kept which vomited was a lawnmower blenny. It started to eat masses of food and was always sick after eating. A few days later I noticed a huge moving bulge in its stomach. A massive parasite. I hope this isn't the case with your CBB.
I'm not going to explain it again....THEY ARE NOT SICK!!!!!! They are VERY healthy
Old 09/17/2007, 02:09 AM
Our man in the East

Re: Am I just really lucky or just good that I can get certain hard to keep fish to eat?

[QUOTE]Originally posted by BMW///M3
[B] This was about 4 days ago, and ever since them he eats so much mysis he throws it up, then eat the throw-up

Fair enough - he sounds like he is VERY healthy!!
Old 09/17/2007, 03:17 PM
Registered Member

Still eating like a pig....he's finially learned moderation and only eats what he can swallow (sp?) at once....
Old 09/17/2007, 03:26 PM
Anti "So called Expert"

Sounds good. Like I said previously the key with having success with both of these fish is getting healthy specimans from the get go. Leopards are actually very hardy fish once they get acclimated. They just don't handle the stress from moving.
Copperbands on the other hand are just touch and go for as long as you have them. Slight changes in their habitat can stress them to the point that they just drop dead for no apparent reason so you just need to make sure and watch what other fish you add and keep your parameters as stable as possible.
Old 10/02/2007, 09:48 AM
Registered Member

had a copper banded for a week, eating just like you said yours did, had an idiot play with my tank and raise the temp. a few degrees than he was on the bottom within a few hours. EVERYTHING has to be perfect all the time.
Old 10/02/2007, 07:49 PM
Registered Member

If your Copperband is 5" then most likely it came from Australia which are much hardier and does better in captivity.
Old 10/02/2007, 08:27 PM
Registered Member

Man, I have to say you are just good. Who else but an experienced keeper would put an established Sohal and new CBB together, let alone in a tank that will soon be too small for the Sohal. Who else would know that fish that throw up are healthy. My fish do it every day. Thank you for sharing information on you live stock and husbandry practices. Yes, you are good and yes, you are a student.
Old 10/02/2007, 09:19 PM
Always Learning

Easy on the students, lol.

Patience is the best remedy for every trouble.
Titus Maccius Plautus (254 BC - 184 BC), Rudens
Old 10/02/2007, 09:29 PM
Registered Member

Don't mean to steal the thread, but what do you do with a fish that has an internal parasite and how do you know it has one? I have seen my fish do the throw up thing and it is very skinny. Again sorry if this is stealing the thread. Thanks
Old 10/02/2007, 09:46 PM
Always Learning

You are definitely going to want to QT the fish and treat it with an antibiotic medicine or a medicine for internal parasites medicine.

Patience is the best remedy for every trouble.
Titus Maccius Plautus (254 BC - 184 BC), Rudens