Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > SPS Keepers
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08/13/2007, 12:36 PM
Registered Member

Does anyone have a link to the tread before the disaster? I cant find it any more. That tread was the reason for me to start with reefs. Amazing tank tank both before and after the disaster...

Thanks ;-)
Old 08/13/2007, 12:37 PM
Registered Member

Does anyone have a link to the tread before the disaster? I cant find it any more. That tread was the reason for me to start with reefs. Amazing tank tank both before and after the disaster...

Thanks ;-)
Old 08/13/2007, 12:38 PM
Premium Member

Here is a link to Steve's web site www.oregonreef.com
Old 08/14/2007, 01:43 PM
TRC Leader

And here is when his tank was featured on RC as TOTM:
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2002-03/totm/index.php
Old 08/14/2007, 02:38 PM
Registered Member

Steve,

Your tank is what made me start a reef.

I am glad to see you back on your feet. The pictures I have seen in the past 15 pages look better than anything I could hope for and that is the aftermath of what happened. I cannot wait to see the new life progress in your tank you are the envy of many a reefer!
Old 08/14/2007, 02:48 PM
Knows Victoria's Secret

Wow Steve, I remember looking at your tank and thinking thats what I want in my living room (then realized I lived in an apt on the 3rd floor!) It sucks to have that crash, but what a rally back. The tank looks great, and im sure it will continue to grow! Good luck!
Old 08/16/2007, 12:29 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by steveweast
I thought that I would do a final update on this topic for closure. I finally finished installing the float switch today. The float switch is an inexpensice float switch from Macmaster. I extended the wires from the float switch through a clear acrylic tubing and filled the tubing with a black pourable epoxy. The switch was then plugged into the interface box from Neptune which allows the float switch to talk to my controller. I have the controller programmed (when a low water level is detected) to turn off the skimmer as well as all halides and UV. So far it works great....and since that I completely drain my sump once a month during water changes, I can test the float switch monthly. Here's a pic of the finished float switch which just hangs down into the sump. Total cost was $40.

Steve, where could I get some of this epoxy that you used for this float switch? I would like to build one of these.

Thanks,

Theron
Old 08/16/2007, 12:57 AM
Registered Member

Wow That sucks man. Think of it this way, you'll never do it again and you are an inspiration to us all not to do that.
Old 08/16/2007, 09:13 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Theron
Steve, where could I get some of this epoxy that you used for this float switch? I would like to build one of these.

Thanks,

Theron

Tap Plastics has some very pourable two part epoxys. I just mixed the two parts together in a cup....mixed in some black colorant that they also had....then used a syringe to fill the acrylic tube. Curing time was 48 hrs though.
Old 08/16/2007, 10:10 AM

Probably a better result than using silicone like I did. Yours looks much nicer and more robust.
Old 08/16/2007, 10:25 AM
Premium Member

Thanks,

I looked on Tap's website and they have a general purpose epoxy. Is this the stuff you used?

http://www.tapplastics.com/shop/product.php?pid=28&

Theron
Old 08/16/2007, 10:41 AM
Registered Member

Nope...that's not it. I don't see it on the website. In the store, it came in two small bottles that were equal two parts....I can't remember the name though.
Old 09/06/2007, 01:48 PM
Registered Member

well on a good note your are re-eligible for TOTM.
Old 09/06/2007, 02:09 PM
On hobby time out!

Quote:
Originally posted by steveweast
I thought that I would do a final update on this topic for closure. I finally finished installing the float switch today. The float switch is an inexpensice float switch from Macmaster. I extended the wires from the float switch through a clear acrylic tubing and filled the tubing with a black pourable epoxy. The switch was then plugged into the interface box from Neptune which allows the float switch to talk to my controller. I have the controller programmed (when a low water level is detected) to turn off the skimmer as well as all halides and UV. So far it works great....and since that I completely drain my sump once a month during water changes, I can test the float switch monthly. Here's a pic of the finished float switch which just hangs down into the sump. Total cost was $40.

Steve:

I am glad to see that my suggestion of the float switch a few months back came to life and is in place. Awesome to see that things are slowly getting back into shape too. The only small suggestion I have for you based for what you said in a couple of pages back is to at some point in the future re-do your close loops so that one of them pumps though the chiller instead of being in a close loop in the sump. The live stuff is in the tank and not the sump, so you could still isolate the sump completely and have cool water in your tank. It might be minor, but it is something worth thinking about.

Again, congratulations on having things running nicely again.
Old 09/06/2007, 08:53 PM
RC Mod

Seeing these pictures has made me anxious to start over with a new tank. Thanks for keeping this thread going.
Old 09/07/2007, 10:42 AM
Registered Member

Hey Steve,
How do you keep your rocks so clean and free of bubble algae and macro algae?
Old 09/26/2007, 08:02 PM
Registered Member

any updated pics?