Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/19/2007, 09:31 PM
Registered Member

36" Giesemann fixture

I have searched high and low for the infiniti fixture in a 36" width and it seems that Giesemann only makes them in 24" and 48". Seems kind of odd as 36" width is typical for many tanks. Is anyone aware if a 36" width is available?
Old 11/19/2007, 09:47 PM
Moved On

Nope, not available.
Old 11/19/2007, 09:52 PM
Registered Member

I picked up the 250W 24" infiniti this weekend, couldnt resist it ...
Old 11/29/2007, 03:00 PM
Premium Member

How do you like the Infinity? Did it come with an Ice-Cap ballast? Thanks.
Old 11/29/2007, 06:14 PM
Registered Member

I even checked with my LFS because they deal with Giesemann in the hopes there may be a custom unit available and no such luck. It's really difficult to find a 36" HQI/T5 to my liking. I'm leaning toward the Maristar fixture or the current outer orbit fixture but was wondering how a 24" unit may work on a 36" wide tank since it will be hung. It seems the Sfiligio (spelling?) 24" unit has a good coverage but I would rather not have a white fixture-pretty pricey too. Any thoughts anyone?
Old 11/29/2007, 06:20 PM
Moved On

Go with Maristar as the reflectors have better coverage since you have to go with a shorter fixture. Maristar uses the same reflectors as the Reef Optix pendants, which are excellent reflectors.
Old 11/30/2007, 12:18 AM
Premium Member

Sfiligio fixtures are silver, with black or white as a special order option.

James
Old 12/05/2007, 06:13 PM
THE 1 loss B(C)S winner!

I can't remember if this was 34, 36 or 38 - but this could be a good option for you. Its an Elos Planet II and it comes in 2x150W or 2x250W. Four 39W T5 tubes. Really nice fixture and extremely light.

Closed minds should come with closed mouths.
Old 12/05/2007, 06:52 PM
Registered Member

That is a nice fixture and I don't remeber running across it on the ELOS site. Do you have a link or any info on a distibutor for it? I'm pretty sure I am going with a SLS Maristar as I can custom order a 2x150w but would like to check out the specs on the ELOS.
Old 12/05/2007, 09:38 PM
Premium Member

I would highly reccomend against SLS. That company is a joke IME. Practically nonexistant customer service/warranty support and poorly designed products. Believe me I know. I have had both a Teklight and a Maristar. The fans are sl loud on the Maristar, it sounds like a turbine spooling up.

The only reason to get a MH/T5 combo fixture is to get multiple banks of T5s. 2 T5s just don't cut it.

James
Old 12/06/2007, 12:07 PM
Moved On

I haven't had any issues with my Maristar for 2 years now and my Eheim return pump has a louder vibration hum than my Maristar fans. As for non-existant customer service, I originally purchase my Maristar from a company that no longer carry them as they went to the Asian lighting fixtures. But early this year, I purchase new skimmers from another vendor I found here on RC and they will bend over backwards to guide me to the right person to work with at SLS in case I ever have problems with my unit. Since it is out of warranty already, this means to get it repaired properly if anything happens to my Maristar. The reflectors that is used in the Maristar has an excellent spread and reflection of the light back into the tank.

I also have the Teklights on my smaller tank and it's not even the better limited edition model, it's the original Teklight. It may not be an ATi Powermodul, but then I don't need that for a mixed reef with nothing that demand intense lighting except couple of SPS. I don't need an acrylic shield, so the passive cooling on my Teklights give more par than I need for my setup. In fact, my mushrooms melted away and one of my LPS bleached out, but back to color after 5 months. So, the Teklights are pretty intense even though I took over 2 months to acclimate my tank to the new T5 lighting.

I know that SLS had a problem with just one employee, but it looks like he no longer around. I don't think this one bad employee is representative of SLS's philosophy.

Last edited by Reef Sponger; 12/06/2007 at 12:15 PM.
Old 12/06/2007, 12:56 PM
Premium Member

He's still employed by them, he was not fired. SLS simply pulled their forum here on RC rather then try to truly repair the damage he had done.

I think the way that series of incidents was handled is more reflective of their MO/philosphy than any opinion from you or me.

In any case, the loudness of apparently many Maristar's fans was discussed here on RC numerous times and one owner actually cut the grills out of his and installed quieter fans to try and mitigate the issue. ReefSponger, I'm not trying to say your's is loud, just that it has been a known problem with Maristars.

Another (design) issue with the Maristar is it only has 2 T5s. Two simply does not cut it when using the T5s as supplemental lighting. Only 2 T5 actinics in particular tend to get very washed out by 2x250w MH. One of the nicest things about T5s is their narrow width which allows you the room to have multiple pairs of bulbs on each side of the MH. This arrangment plays to the strength of the T5s to allow you multiple bulb configurations. Unfortunately, its only been the European lighting manufacturers who have stepped up and built units with 4,6,8 T5s to flank the MHs on their fixtures.

Of course the expense of these European fixtures is fairly cost prohibitive and only getting worse as the dollar continues its decline. Maybe the American manufacturers will take advantage of this by bringing out comparable competing fixtures at better prices. SLS claimed it was close to a Maristar 2 before it flamed out here on RC, but that was a long time ago.

James
Old 12/06/2007, 09:09 PM
Registered Member

Just when I think I am close to making up my mind along comes another group of experienced reefers giving feedback to help fuel my indecision-the beauty of a wonderful resource such as Reefcentral. I had not run across the Elos II before which brings up an issue I guess I should also be considering but have neglected to ask about and have not run across too much research on-light spread. Obviously this varies with each manufacturer but I am looking for a solution for a 36" wide x 18" deep x 21" hi tank and the Maristar with 2x150w spaced closer together than the Elos seems a better fit for that size tank than a 2x150 Elos (38" fixture width). On the other hand it appears that the Elos is designed for a wider tank than the fixture width so would an Elos 1x250w be a comparable fit? I'm a little concerned that a single HQI approx. 8" above the tank may create too much of a focused light source. Also I am planning an LPS/soft coral tank, very few sps if any.
Old 12/06/2007, 09:19 PM
Moved On

I always understood that T5s were for supplemental coloring on the MH fixtures. Since most MH fixtures are 8" - 12" above the top of the tank and T5s alone work best at 3" - 5" above the top of the tank. In order for T5s to work at its best, need to lower a MH/T5 fixture down to 4" - 5" above the tank. This would create a lot of heat from the MH being so close to the surface as well as the spread is dramatically reduced. I could be wrong here, but I'm basing that thought process on reading so many recommendations that the 4@ T5s on a MH/T5 combo, T5s should be a combination of 2@ UVL Super Actinics and 2@ ATi Blue Pluses. You get great growth from the whiter MH bulb and use the T5s for blue supplementation.

Last edited by CruzinKim; 12/06/2007 at 09:24 PM.
Old 12/06/2007, 09:38 PM
Registered Member

From a supplementation standpoint I realize the purpose of the T5's is for the benefit of the corals but there is also a selfish side of me that actually likes the T5's along with the halides from an aesthetic point of view. Though a lower fixture height would be ideal, I do have to consider heat as summers in my area will most likely require a chiller and I am shooting for some added efficiency if possible. I can't help but think that for an Oceanic 58g RR that all of the options I have spoken about should work well but then again, a lower fixture heigt for a single HQI may reduce the light spread in regards to the tank width.
Old 12/06/2007, 09:43 PM
THE 1 loss B(C)S winner!

Hey there, sorry for the delay. Just call or PM elosusa - they have a vendor forum. There are many cool things about the PII - the top isn't metal, but a special resin which is very light, cool to the touch and it actually comes off and is replaceable. You can even have it painted or designed. The fan that it uses to cool the fixture is the most powerful/silent fan you'll ever use. Its adjustable and can be easily tilted forward or backward. It uses Icecap e-ballasts for the MH and because of the fan - the ballasts are contained in the unit - and its still extremely light. The cords coming from the unit go straight to the wall, nothing in the middle. One other thing is there isn't as much heat that transfers to the tank. The IC ballasts run DE bulbs cooler. The fan pulls air from the underside of the fixture, it runs thru the fixture and is exhausted upwards. Its a great design.

The Maristar isn't bad - but I like having four T5's. When you have four - T5 is no longer "supplemental" - you can run the T5 in place of your MH and only run the MH a few hours a day. Lots of tanks run T5 alone. I waited for the Maristar II which has been promised forever.

One trip over to the Elos forum and you'll understand the customer service. Its second to none, really. Jesse is a great guy and owning Elos products has been a far different experience than other brands.

I gotta run but I hope this helps. "Bogg" here on RC has a couple of them, ask him also. The price is actually extremely good compared to other Euro fixtures. The 2x150W & 4x54W was $1400 or $1500 when I bought it.

Oh last - I absolutely LOOOOVE the Elos MH bulbs that it comes with. PURE white. Those and the Giesemann Coral bulbs are the best bulbs available for DE, IMO.

Old 12/06/2007, 09:54 PM
Registered Member

Thanks for the feedback Fliger. I didn't realize until after posting my previous reply that you were the one with the Elos setup thread that I had followed the month previous. Beautiful setup!, it was one of the first few Elos threads I followed that really made me fall for their product. Definitely will be a consideration when I have the room to upgrade down the road. What do you think about the single fixture (1x250w) spread issue I referred to?-any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by wildjoe; 12/06/2007 at 10:02 PM.
Old 12/06/2007, 10:06 PM
THE 1 loss B(C)S winner!

Well - the 38" is something you'll have to decide if you can live with. Ask Jesse to get the dimensions from the outsides of the MH. My guess is it's probably about 30". I can tell you the spread is EXTREMELY even. Elos make a lot of nice products but they really take pride in their lights. Jesse told me that Elos spelled backwards "sole" is Italian for "sun". One nice thing if you ever do decide to move to a 48" fixture - this will work as well.

But if the two units that fit your app are the P2 and Maristar - I'd probably choose the one with more T5 if you're OK with the 38". I'm not a fan boy - I run a totally different fixture on my new tank - but it seems like this would be a good option for you.

Thanks for the compliment! Life got a little overwhelming this fall and I didn't have much time for the tank, but its starting to come around! I get to work on it this weekend.

Old 12/06/2007, 10:10 PM
THE 1 loss B(C)S winner!

Here are some pix of my old tank. I think these were with the T5 only. I ran MH only 4-5 hours/day. Growth and color were awesome! I really miss this tank and I wish I could get back to these results.

Old 12/06/2007, 10:20 PM
Registered Member

I'm not really concerned with the 38" fixture width as much as I am the placement of the HQI's on the P2 fixture-they are extremely close to the edge and I wonder if for my tank width a single 250w HQI would be better than having 2 HQI's that may have much of the effective intensity spread beyond my tank width. There's no dout the 4 T5's will be more than enough. I have already e-mailed Jesse and gotten a response so I will give him a shout tomorrow.
Old 12/07/2007, 02:45 AM
Moved On

Fliger, is there an option to place the ELOS P2 on mounting brackets and set on top of the tank or must it be hung only?