Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10/15/2007, 10:10 PM
Registered Member

Unhappy suction noise!!!!!!!!!!

oh my goodness my house cannot be at peace until i solve this horrible problem. i made my over flow from a 90 degree elbow just under the surface of the water that goes through the bulkhead and then makes another 90 deg. turn straight down to get to the sump. i have flexible 1.5 inch hose going from the 90 degree elbow down to the sump. when i first set it up i had some gurgle so i drilled a few holes in the elbow coming out the back and put some airline tubing in it and problem was solved only minimal suction every few days. PROBLEM: 2 days ago my roomate calls me and tells me that my tank has been sucking/gurgling for 30 minutes straight. ever since it gurgles 90 % of the time and is hardly ever quiet. what can i do to fix this!?!? why was it ok for the first 3 months of operation and now it make noise!? its so loud and my roomates patience is wearing thin.

HELP!
Old 10/15/2007, 10:15 PM
Registered Member

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...hreadid=344892 TRY THIS... THEY SAY IT IS QUIET AND EFFECTIVE IF YOU HAVE OVERFLOWS.
Old 10/16/2007, 07:25 AM
Registered Member

Something happened to the vent? See if you can run something thru the airline tubing to clear out salt creep/algae. I have a peice of saltwater fishing leader that's about the right diameter that I use. Then re-adjust the depth of the vent into the drain stream to find the "sweet spot" again.
Old 10/16/2007, 08:14 AM
Registered Member

salt creep in your vent. clean it out and re-insert.
Old 10/16/2007, 08:52 AM
Registered Member

yeah, salt creep. That's one reason why a lot of people use a T off the back and extend that up a short distance with another length of pipe before capping and drilling holes. The bigger pipe (as opposed to the airline tubing) and the extra distance from the water keep salt creep at bay better. It can still cause occasional blockages though.