Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > SouthEast Region-Reef Club Forums > Tampa Bay Reef Club
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02/21/2006, 11:48 AM
Registered Member

I give up!!!

After a year of unemployment and in the wee deadline hours of trying to finish my MA thesis, I discovered that my 54 gal. bowfront has decided to spring a leak in the fittings. As I type this, hubby is feverishly (he has to be to work in a half hour) draining the water, we have put the 2 yellowtail damsels and 1 tomato clown in a small tank and we have put the live rock in a big styrofoam container and filled that with tank water to preserve it. It is sitting on my back patio and I will cover it to hopefully preserve the rock.

After much discussion, as well as agonizing, I have decided to give up the hobby for the time being. I would love to go back to it someday but right now I have neither the finances or the time to devote to keeping a pristine tank. As it is, the 54 gal. was having algae issues, the lights were never right and have really been inefficient for the past three months. I also never did get around to building that sump, and I have been using a gutted wet/dry filter as a sump for the past year. The pump also could use a new impeller.

I am offering whatever I have, MINUS THE TANK AND STAND for sale or for free. Here's what I have:

-- LIVESTOCK: 2 yellowtail damsels and 1 tomato clown. FREE to a good home.

-- LIGHTING: 48" 4x65W Coralife Aqualight CF hood, 2x Actinic and 2x 10,000K, -Straight Pin -- Ballast on one side is shot, and it needs new bulbs. I will give the sucker away to whoever might want to repair it.

-- A NEW, never used, AquaMedic Ocean Light 250W HQI pendant with ballast and hardware for hanging. $250 or best offer.

-- LIVE ROCK and SAND: Approx 150 lbs of live rock. $50.

-- Live sand!! Full of pods, brittlestars, hermits, whatever else might be growing in there. Bring your own container. FREE

-- PUMP: Dolphin pump, Model BP800 - needs a new impeller. $50 takes it.

I prefer to keep my books and testing kits in case I decide to go back to the hobby again in the future but in the meantime, it looks like the 54 gal. will house cichlids.

TIME IS OF THE ESSENCE: I don't want to living organisms to suffer needlessly! I will be attending a conference in South Carolina this weekend and will be leaving Thursday and returning Sunday. I would reeeeallly like to get this stuff out of here before Thursday but my husband has Friday and Saturday off and can help out anyone who might want to come by then. I live in the Brandon/Mango/Seffner corner and have no vehicle to deliver so everything must be picked up here at my home. Send me a PM and I will give you my cell phone number so we can discuss.

Thanks for all your help over the past three years that I've had the tank. You guys are the greatest!! I'm only sorry I never had the time to join the club but I will remain a staunch supporter of saving the reefs until the day I die.
Old 02/21/2006, 11:57 AM
Premium Member

1 tomato clown. FREE and live rock i want

rob352@tampabay.rr.com
Old 02/21/2006, 12:57 PM
Registered Member

Patty,

I am sorry to hear about your difficulties.

PM Sent.

Chris
Old 02/21/2006, 01:22 PM
Registered Member

Thanks, Chris

I had dreams of a gorgeous reef but alas ... maybe someday when I'm a wealthy English teacher *L*

Reply sent
Old 02/21/2006, 01:47 PM
Registered Member

Rock and sand are spoken for as is the Coralife and the tomato clown. The damsels and other stuff are still up for grabs.
Old 02/21/2006, 06:25 PM
Registered Member

I still have live sand if anyone is interested. Someone has spoken for the Aqua Medic light but I will post if that falls through.

I also still have the two damsels.
Old 02/21/2006, 07:18 PM
Registered Member

nix on the live sand ... after discussion we have decided it's pretty much trashed because of algae problems.

I will probably take the damsels back to the LFS ...
Old 02/21/2006, 07:54 PM
Registered Member

Put me on the short list for the rock if the first buyer falls through.

I am only 30 min away so I could come over one eve. to pick it up.
Old 02/22/2006, 08:37 AM
Registered Member

Everything is gone. Thank you, everyone, for your help. You will be making my husband's life MUCH easier while I'm gone this weekend. As I said, I will continue to support these forums as well as the hobby. I learned a LOT from here, as well as from John the Fish Nazi! I will happily share my knowledge with people interested in getting started in the hobby and hopefully someday I can do a nano reef in the little tank I keep for emergencies.

Happy reefing!