Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/01/2008, 12:25 AM
Premium Member

Angry Which Fish Is Scraching My Tank????

I got "something" making scratch marks in my tank daily. The only new fish is a yellow "coris" wrasse. I dont think he would be doing it but.....can't say for sure not knowing? Dont know if he would have any sharp defensive appendages of any sort.

The other fish that I would suspect would be the powder blue tang. He dances around with his reflection ALL DAY LONG!!!! The yellow wrasse does it just occasionally. Do you think the powder blue could just be becoming more hostile and is "slicing" the reflection? He's been in the tank for about 2 years. Kinda strange he would just start doing this.

I know it's kind of a strange one but, Im tired of sanding out scratches. I mean T-I-R-E-D of it!!

Below is a very bad pic of the scratches. they appear in various areas around the front acrylic and here and there along one side. Any ideas????

Thanks
Dennis

Old 01/01/2008, 12:52 AM
I hate line 42!!!!!!!

The tang would be my only guess. Have you noticed it whipping its tail at the front of the tank? Do you have a mag-float? If so, some sand might have got caught between the magnets.
Old 01/01/2008, 01:15 AM
Premium Member

An angry tang can slice open an opponent's belly; if yours is 'fighting' with its reflection it's entirely possible that what you're seeing is damage done by the fish's spines.

The MagFloat theory is also valid - it's incredibly easy to get a tiny piece of grit caught between the magnet and the side of the tank, and if the magnet is left in the tank all the time spirobid worms and other critters may set up shop between the bristles and they can scratch the surface as well.
Old 01/01/2008, 03:04 AM
Registered Member

cant some urchins actually try and eat the acrylic. If so and u have one theres another possible suspect for ya to investigate.
Old 01/01/2008, 10:26 AM
Premium Member

The first thing I thought of is the magnet I use to clean. No dice. I use a brand new pad each time I do it (although I know a piece of sand can still get under it.). After the first time I saw them, I sanded most all of them out. Took a few hours with scratch repair kit! The next day, their back. In random areas.

I guess it's the powder blue. I dont think a wrasse has any means of doing that does it?

Thanks for the responses.

Dennis
Old 01/01/2008, 12:30 PM
Reefer

Similar scratches on my tank were caused by a PBT. It was the barb on his tail that was causing them.

Get a scratch repair kit or just live with it.
Old 01/01/2008, 12:41 PM
Registered Member

I have seen my pyramid snails rotate to loosen algea on the glass. My tanks are glass and did not scratch but makes a lot of noise so it might scratch and acrylic.
Old 01/01/2008, 01:02 PM
Premium Member

FishyPreacher

[welcome]
Old 01/01/2008, 04:37 PM
Premium Member

Yep...I am pretty much convinced it's the powder blue. Im probably going to have to relocate him. Wish me luck! Thanks for the help.

dennis