Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Nano Reefs
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03/25/2006, 04:40 PM
Buttfish Pioneer

JBJ Vipers: User reviews

I read on nano-reef.com that these are out...

So, when you guys get them, please comment here. I am considering a 150 watter but would like to know if they seem well made, have good reflectors, etc.

I know a lot of you have pre-ordered, are your orders on the way?

Angela.
Old 03/28/2006, 12:14 AM
Registered ID10T

Here's a bump for ya. I'm wanting to hear reviews about these lights as well.
Stewie
Old 03/28/2006, 10:19 AM
Registered Member

Does anyone know if these lights can be placed over a nano cube without any kind of glass divider. I thought all MH lights had to be used over a glass top to keep the lamp dry and prevent evaporation. The pics they show on the jbj website show the lamp being used directly over the tank with an open top. Any comments?
Old 03/28/2006, 10:24 AM
Registered Member

mjdlonghorn: the lights have glass covering the bulb
I would love to hear some comments from people on this light as well. I am waiting for mine to come from PA that I pre-ordered back at the beginning of Feb for a custom nano I am building. Any comments please post! I will be sure to post my review when I get mine.
Old 03/28/2006, 12:24 PM
Buttfish Pioneer

I keep checking PA's website and says out of stock, but nanocustoms has it in stock. What's up with that?

Can't wait to hear how it works!

-A
Old 03/28/2006, 01:40 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Newreeflady
I keep checking PA's website and says out of stock, but nanocustoms has it in stock. What's up with that?

Can't wait to hear how it works!

-A
Jason at PA told me they are expecting them in any day (as I inquired about mine since I saw the same thing). So I would just keep checking or just pre-order it from them.
Old 03/28/2006, 01:47 PM
I'm the Dude.

those are very cool....to bad they dont have a 250 watt version
Old 03/28/2006, 03:50 PM
Reef Geek

I have one on the way to my house right now. I just ordered it from Blue Zoo Aquatics and it shipped today. Right now, they are the cheapest too, at $199.95 with free shipping. I'll post again as soon as I get the box!
Old 03/28/2006, 09:31 PM
Buttfish Pioneer

I hate to keep two threads open on this, but I wanted to reply to Dragonfish here.

Actually, BlueZoo is NOT free shipping unless you order >$250 worth of stuff. Additionally, they charge tax where some other stores don't. I would have paid the tax if there were free shipping, but in this case, double-ouch! I may have someone else who wants to order with me, i've got to check ..

-A
Old 03/28/2006, 11:04 PM
Reef Geek

Sorry to disagree, but I emailed them about it first and it is free shipping for the Viper for a limited time. I know for a fact because I already bought it.

by beerguy

"This is a reef keeping hobbyist board. Things would be much better if we just got back to that."
Old 03/29/2006, 01:07 AM
Premium Member

got mine a few days ago hooking it up tomorow, $159 70WHQI at nanotuners, great service fast shipping
Old 03/29/2006, 01:33 AM
Buttfish Pioneer

Dragon, maybe you have to call to get that deal? It does not appear to give me that when I go to check out at Blue Zoo.

MRinCC, hook it up already, damn, i'm dying over here lol!

-A
Old 03/29/2006, 10:07 AM
Registered Member

I got the 70watt Viper from nanocustoms too. It's supposed to arrive this Friday, I can't wait ^_^
Old 03/29/2006, 01:58 PM
Buttfish Pioneer

Blue Zoo Aquatics ROCKS!

Thank you, Dragon. You were right, for some reason the site was acting up, but I gave a call and they were able to walk me through it and give me a code to put in. I got a GREAT deal! And, even better, this is shipping from So. Cal to me here in Nor. Cal, so i'll be getting it very soon!

Sorry for doubting you, man. I thought maybe it was only on the 150 lamps or something, but he gave me the deal on the 70W I ordered!

What lamps did you guys get? I am going to check out the stock 14k lamp because I don't want the tank too blue. I will post pictures as soon as it's up and running...

Thanks!
Angela.
Old 03/29/2006, 02:05 PM
Reef Geek

Glad to help! Mine should be here Monday, I got the 150w. I'm probably going to use the 14k, 20k is just a bit too blue for me.

by beerguy

"This is a reef keeping hobbyist board. Things would be much better if we just got back to that."
Old 03/29/2006, 08:42 PM
Premium Member

Got it set up today, a little work, I put it on a 10G tank , the wall of the tank seems kind of thin, but i think it will be allright. The balast is HUGE so if space is a concern think again. Not sure about the light its the 70W HQI, seems like my 2 18W 50/50 bulbs put out more light. watching the heat, but does not look like it will be a problem. Overall for the money $159 I guess its not a bad deal. But if it was not an issue i think i would go for a sunpod instead. pics attached:

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 03/29/2006, 10:53 PM
Registered ID10T

MRinCC,
how's the shimmer lines on it? and how's the reflector look?
Stewie
Old 03/29/2006, 11:00 PM
Buttfish Pioneer

MRinCC, what is the grating over your tank? Do you think it would help to remove that?

Update, I ordered today from Blue Zoo Aquatics and my unit has ALREADY SHIPPED and will be here on FRIDAY!!

YAY!
-A
Old 03/29/2006, 11:54 PM
Registered ID10T

Guys n Gals,
Keep in mind it takes MH bulbs a period of time to burn in to achieve their full brightness. (keep that in mind before plugging it in and running to your comp to tell us how bad/good it is! lol)

Stewie
Old 03/30/2006, 12:34 AM
Premium Member

shimmer lines ok , reflector is small but adequate for this light i suppose, although i am no expert. , newreeflady, no it is eggcrate and its staying a have a cat that would be in it otherwise.
Old 03/30/2006, 09:29 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by MRinCC
shimmer lines ok , reflector is small but adequate for this light i suppose, although i am no expert. , newreeflady, no it is eggcrate and its staying a have a cat that would be in it otherwise.
But I heard cats and gobies make great symbiotic relationships... cat eats goby, cat is happy...
Old 03/30/2006, 03:01 PM
Registered Member

Im thinking about buying one of these too, was kinda waiting to see how people responded. I don't like having the open top tank though, and the egg crate looks like a great idea! I too have a cat that may drink from it, but he's actually the least of my worries. Worse would be my 3 year old who would be inclined to feed the fish pizza, or toss in matchbox car for the fish to play with.
Old 03/30/2006, 06:27 PM
Buttfish Pioneer

MRinCC, I was just asking because it may diffuse some light, didn't know if that may be part of the dimness? I can see your worries with a cat, I wouldn't chance that, either.

The most of my worries would be jumpy fish or shrimp, so i'll stock accordingly.

-A
Old 03/31/2006, 11:56 AM
Registered ID10T

Well, its friday.. that means someone should be posting a review tonight (newreeflady).. or hopefully..
I need to get a new light and really want some reviews first (either buying that or a modded orbit that houses a 70 watt bulb).

Stewie
Old 03/31/2006, 07:42 PM
Registered Member

Got my Viper lamp literally an hour and a half ago and just finished setting it up. I know alotta people are waiting for reviews, so here's my INITIAL impressions:

Starting with the ballast, the ballast box is HUGE, slightly bigger than the 250 watt EVC DE Electronic ballast I have, although this is mainly in part due to the larger housing box. It seems like the actual ballast is only in the bottom half of the box, the top half left open with vent slits for circulation. In addition, the ballast box comes houses a fuse and a nice power switch. It's definitely made in China, the box says "HuaQuan Electrical Lighting Co, LTD". I googled the company and it doesn't seem like they manufacture cheap products, been in business for 20+ years and have a pretty decent website. Time will only tell.

The lighting fixture I purchased houses a 14k 70w DE MH bulb. The reflector is pretty poor, it's just one flat reflector behind the bulb, no parabolic, etc, although honestly I wouldn't expect an incredible reflector from such a small enclosure.

Mounting was pretty simple, two simple knobs that you tighten in. Took all of five minutes to mount on my rimless tank. My only complaint, however, was the spacer you put between the mount and the tank. It's a separate piece from the actual fixture, so you have to kinda hold it in place as you're tightening one of the knobs. Once in, however, the mount definitely stays in place. No wiggling of any kind.

Here's the only part I don't like about the fixture. The neck. The neckpieces are made of softer plastic, I'm guessing to keep heat from transferring down the unit, but as a result, the fixture is kinda wobbly sideways. It's not wobbly to the point where it'll tip over by itself, but I can see the neckpiece possibly breaking if you were to smack into the lamp head hard. Vertically, forwards and backwards, the lamp is superstable. You shouldn't be touching a metal halide lamp anyways, so I don't see the problem with the wobblyness. Adjustment is supereasy, just turn the knobs to tighten the neck after you've adjusted it to the correct position. As to concerns that this fixture may fall into your tank, let me alleviate them by saying that, as long as your mounting screws are all tightened properly(only need to hand-tighten), there is NO WAY I can see the fixture dropping forwards into your tank. Even with a hard push forwards on the lamp, I see the mount breaking your glass tank before it falls in.

Performance-wise, I love it. The color on the 14k bulb is awesome, and I get shimmer lines galore. I have it on a 5 gallon open top tank right now and, as expected of metal halide lighting, it did heat up my tank upon my initial setup of ~6" over the water line. 5 minutes of adjusting and I have it sitting at nearly its max height, ~12" over the water line, and the temperature is already dropping down. I won't even bother mentioning the light output, since all metal halides are dimmer during their "break-in period". I'd have to wait a week or two until I can properly give an evaluation of its light output.

Packaging is decent, this is the first JBJ product I've purchased and it looks like a packaged Viper lamp should be able to survive anything short of crushing the box itself.

Overall, I'm pretty happy with purchasing one of these Vipers. The small size and 70watt MH option makes it PERFECT for placing over a nanotank that's less than 20" long. I've considered both the SunPod and Coralife Aqualight, but the SunPod doesn't have anything smaller than 20", and the Aqualight doesn't have a 70w version(150w would BOIL a 5 gallon tank). I've also considered retrofitting a desklamp, but I can't seem to find a good desklamp that can fit a retro. The Viper saved me the trouble of purchasing a retrofit anyways.

Stewie, I have an CUSA Orbit and the fans are LOUD. I'd read this issue with many other CUSA lighting products as well. Something to keep in mind if you plan on purchasing the modded Orbit.

Hope this helps. If you've got questions, please feel free to ask away.