Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reefkeeping Online Magazine > Tank of the Month
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09/19/2007, 10:25 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by DaMonkey
Incredible tank! I'm in awe of how well thought out your tank is considering the space requirements and dimensions!

Incredible!
Thank you.!!!...We didn't have a lot of room to work with. when I started to plan the project everything had to fit just like a puzzle.....

Thx's again..
Mike
Old 09/19/2007, 10:42 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Chip Douglas
Mike would you say that your tank is essentially barebottom with a refugium running? I know that you had stated a lot of your sand got pushed to the back from the flow in the tank, so I was curious if you considered it a functional sandbed still or if you considered your tank to be a barebottom. Thanks for any info!
Sorry Chip I missed your post.. I still have a sand bed even though it is all in the back of the tank..I personally don't like bare bottom tanks. They may work for other people but I feel that you need some sand in your main system..The sand bed houses many little creatures that helps maintain our systems...Also if you want to house wrasses you will need to run sand just for them...This Is just my thoughts on the sand bed debate...There are a lot of nice tanks out there with no sand at all...I hope this helps...

Mike
Old 09/21/2007, 12:42 PM
Premium Member

Heliofungia ??

First off, great tank. I had the opportunity to talk to you briefly at Scott's a few months back, and I appreciated all the advice you gave me. I have one question for you. Is that a long-tentacle plate coral that I saw in one of your pictures (green with white tips)? I had one that was very healthy, then put more flow in the tank (6055). The extra flow stressed the plate, and now he is succumbing to an what appears to be a brown jelly infection.
Old 09/21/2007, 08:10 PM
Registered Member

Great tank! I'm about to put 400 watt reeflux 12ks on my 320g tank (was thinking about upgrading from my 250s and your tank cinched it).

I was wondering how far above the tank you have the actual bulb.

Thanks!

Mike
Old 09/22/2007, 09:19 AM
Registered Member

Congratulations on a beautiful tank!

I am upgrading my lighting to reeflux bulbs and was wondering if you had any pictures of your tank with the 10k bulbs? Were these at all yellow?

Thanks for the help and well done on a great tank!

Simon
2 X 150w 10,000 K
Turboflotor multi Sl 1000
TMC 15w UV
Eheim breather
60L mechanical & biological sump
Chiller
2 x tunze streamers
Old 09/22/2007, 04:53 PM
Premium Member

Hi Mike. Please forgive me if you already addressed this, but I did not see it. Is the 400-watt 10K ReefLux bulbs you use single ended or double ended? I am considering switching from my XM, 400 W single ended 10K's. I would like to try another bulb.

BTW, the tank looks great!!

Thanks!
Old 09/22/2007, 07:30 PM
Premium Member

Re: Heliofungia ??

Quote:
Originally posted by jrbiala
First off, great tank. I had the opportunity to talk to you briefly at Scott's a few months back, and I appreciated all the advice you gave me. I have one question for you. Is that a long-tentacle plate coral that I saw in one of your pictures (green with white tips)? I had one that was very healthy, then put more flow in the tank (6055). The extra flow stressed the plate, and now he is succumbing to an what appears to be a brown jelly infection.
Thx's again for the kind comment's...The coral is actually a Torch coral not a plate...Have you tried dipping your plate in some Lugol's to help with the infection? This may help...If you have another questions feel free to ask.......

Thx's
Mike
Old 09/22/2007, 07:34 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mpdharley
Great tank! I'm about to put 400 watt reeflux 12ks on my 320g tank (was thinking about upgrading from my 250s and your tank cinched it).

I was wondering how far above the tank you have the actual bulb.

Thanks!

Mike
The bulb is 9-10inch's from the top of the water....I measured from the bottom of the bulb not the fixture....

Thx's again..

Mike
Old 09/22/2007, 08:06 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by simoncbarnes
Congratulations on a beautiful tank!

I am upgrading my lighting to reeflux bulbs and was wondering if you had any pictures of your tank with the 10k bulbs? Were these at all yellow?

Thanks for the help and well done on a great tank!

Simon
No I don't have any pic's with the 10k's...I ran the 10k's with the coralvue ballast and liked the color I didn't think they were to yellow...I would say more white..

Thx's

again

Mike
Old 09/23/2007, 12:50 AM
Registered Member

There are not enough sufficient words to describe the beauty and amazing corner of oceanic majesty that you have captured and cultivated in your home!!! My husband and I are in complete and utter awe!!! " We're not worthy- We're not worthy" !!!!!
Old 09/23/2007, 10:45 AM
Registered Member

Mike -absolutely stunning!!! The fish-the corals-the stand your wife built-the photography-the write up about your tank--truly amazing!! The mixture of all the colors is beautiful!! Congratulations and keep up the excellent hard work.
jolene
Old 09/23/2007, 12:04 PM
Registered Member

Congrats, I am really impressed with your fish population and how well it works for you.
Old 09/23/2007, 09:40 PM
Registered Member

absolutely amazing. as a newcomer (to corals) and really getting into the hobby it's nice to have something to dream about. I'll settle for my 55 right now but having that explanation and tank to look at is amazazing!!

Loving a hobby where there are few absolute right answers, many ways of doing things, a lot of good advice and, after all's said and done, a few ppm can cost you a whole lotta dough!!
Old 09/24/2007, 07:01 PM
Registered Member

Without a doubt, one of the most spectacular systems I have ever seen, a true and utter beauty...

Thank you for sharing it with us...

John
Old 09/24/2007, 07:54 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mcabeeaug20
There are not enough sufficient words to describe the beauty and amazing corner of oceanic majesty that you have captured and cultivated in your home!!! My husband and I are in complete and utter awe!!! " We're not worthy- We're not worthy" !!!!!
Thank you verry much....mcabeeaug...

Mike
Old 09/24/2007, 07:55 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by acrouse
Mike -absolutely stunning!!! The fish-the corals-the stand your wife built-the photography-the write up about your tank--truly amazing!! The mixture of all the colors is beautiful!! Congratulations and keep up the excellent hard work.
jolene
Thx's for the great comment>>>>

Mike
Old 09/24/2007, 07:56 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by joubentwin
Congrats, I am really impressed with your fish population and how well it works for you.
Thank you......

Mike
Old 09/24/2007, 07:58 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by cmejaf30
absolutely amazing. as a newcomer (to corals) and really getting into the hobby it's nice to have something to dream about. I'll settle for my 55 right now but having that explanation and tank to look at is amazazing!!
Keep at it...Your 55gal will turn out awesome....

Mike
Old 09/24/2007, 07:59 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by John Brancheau
Without a doubt, one of the most spectacular systems I have ever seen, a true and utter beauty...

Thank you for sharing it with us...

John
Thank you for the kind words....And taking a look...

Mike
Old 09/25/2007, 03:04 PM
Registered Member

Mike,

I really like the Red-head wrasse, H. rubricephalus. This is a rare fish. Where did you obtain it? Was it difficult to acclimate and has it been well behaved? I remember reading that people were not having much success with this species. Thanks.
Old 09/26/2007, 02:32 AM
Registered Member

Sensational display Mike congratulations - Any tips from Jim on the fabulous photography would be appreciated - novice reef keeper and photographer that I am
Old 09/26/2007, 07:39 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by russelll
Sensational display Mike congratulations - Any tips from Jim on the fabulous photography would be appreciated - novice reef keeper and photographer that I am
Jim posts a couple of times about his photography in this thread:
http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...readid=1140629
Old 09/28/2007, 04:03 PM
Registered Member

grats..what a great reef.
Old 09/30/2007, 03:53 PM
Premium Member

Mike: You mentioned that your main reason for your weekly water changes is to replace trace elements. I take it in the past you tried adding Trace Elements supplements on their own. Did this not work for you and any thoughts on that?
Old 09/30/2007, 07:56 PM
Registered Member

MIke my congratulations from Panama !!

unfortunately in my country we ca not buy the SPS corals only very few soft corals.

Regards
Fernando Chang