Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > SouthWest Region-Reef Club Forums > El Paso Marine Aquarium Society (ELPMAS)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/17/2007, 11:56 PM
Registered Member

Things in our tanks that can harm us or make us sick.

I am trying to make a list of things that we should look out for, everybody please feel free to add to this thread if you know of any coral or any other thing in our tanks that can harm us or make us sick. The other John here gave me the idea to start a thread and get imput from others. Please post anything that you know of and if you can give some info on it, or a link to more info on it. I do know that we all have different things that can bother one of us but not all of us.

This makes twice now that I know of that mitch has gotten sick from prolonged work in his tank. It really would be nice to have some kind of info to be able to take to the ER if it was ever needed. Of course we would all not have the same things but everybody could use from the list and make their own list as for what they have in the tank. This may go slow and it may not even take off, I am trying to do some research and find out more about things.

Sam I think with all of your years in the hobby, you could point me or anybody else that wants to help in the right direction. If you have some names of things you know of that are toxic please list them, with or without info on them. If you don't have info on them I will or maybe others will help me research them.
Old 12/18/2007, 12:17 AM
Registered Member

sounds good, links are good help compaile a report better. so here is one.

Palytoxin

Scorpionfish, Lionfish, and Stonefish Poisoning

Last edited by killingseed; 12/18/2007 at 12:24 AM.
Old 12/18/2007, 12:29 AM
Registered Member

Thanks John. Here is a link I just found that has a lot of really good info.

http://www.chm.bris.ac.uk/motm/ttx/ttx.htm

Maybe after a bunch of links are gathered or info is posted I can take it out of this thread and make a list of links and info that is easy to get to rather than sift through a thread full of post's.
Old 12/18/2007, 12:36 AM
Registered Member

seems there is still a lot of other info on webmd as well. just narrowing some down to related information needed

Marine Stings and Scrapes Check Your Symptoms.

Sea Urchin Puncture Treatment

Last edited by killingseed; 12/18/2007 at 12:45 AM.
Old 12/18/2007, 11:24 AM
Registered Member

microbes...such as cholera can exist naturally in seawater and readily grows on chitenous substrates (crap and lobster shells). You should treat the water from your tank the same way as raw meat (wash hands, dont touch your face, dont readily touch everything in your house).
Old 01/04/2008, 04:03 PM
King of the Tank!

Saw this posted on the Newbee thread and adds to our discussion: Coral Toxicity by Jared Waites

Jay