Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > SouthWest Region-Reef Club Forums > El Paso Marine Aquarium Society (ELPMAS)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/05/2007, 03:09 PM
Registered Member

Post january meeting chat

i have decided "well the wife," that i can host the next meeting. i have a lot going on this week next and so on with the holidays here. i need to get this started. i will break out the BBQ if the weather permits it, else i will have some pizza's. figured we could do something simple. make some home made food. couple people can bring in some of the different ingredients. we can mix almost anything we wanted within the food.

now, if someone wants to do a presentation of some kind "talk about type of coral ,a fish, refuges, equipment or a DIY project you have and want to show it off or demo something. please get with me and we can arrange something.

sense this is a chat about the next meeting all are welcome to contribute feed back or other information. If anyone has a date in mind for January , feel free and let us know. if there is a date in January that you can not make it let us know as well.

I don’t know about anyone else but I have finals this week so like to say good luck to those who have to take finals of some kind.

if anyone wants to host one of the meetings please get with me. maybe pick a month and pm me. would be nice to host some more meetings out there in Las Cruces.
Old 12/05/2007, 03:59 PM
Registered Member

Carlos Adame offered his home and has a beautiful 110 Reef.
He is Downtown so easy for everyone.
He does not get on here often because his work will not allow it but he would love to meet everyone.
This would be for a future meeting.
Old 12/05/2007, 07:14 PM
Registered Member

i'll take note of that sam, thanks, we would love to make a mess of things over there aswell:>~.
Old 12/05/2007, 08:28 PM
Registered Member

Hey, Since i am never reply on here i would be happy to do a presentation over a denitrator that i made for my tank. I can show a complete break down, DIY, and have a couple available if anyone wants to buy them. If you want me to bring something food related let me know. Thanks

Steffen Sparks
Old 12/05/2007, 08:44 PM
Registered Member

puffin04, sorry in that other thread i had used to name sparky didnt know someone was named Sparks here. sparky is another member, he reads here but doesnt post much and has s been to almost ever meeting. he was the one i was referring, about those shrooms.

You are more then welcome to show off one of those denitrator filter ? reactor? not sure which it is, but you are more then welcome to bring one and present it to the group and tell us about it. give us a presentation on what it does, how it works , and tell us about the benefits from use one.
Old 12/05/2007, 08:50 PM
Registered Member

Sounds good what food do you want me to bring... You fraging anything?

Steffen Sparks
Old 12/05/2007, 08:58 PM
Registered Member

not sure yet. i have a list of stuff that can be used. i can make up a list this weekend. just need to wait and see what other say but this sound interesting so far between your presentation and the DIY food.
Old 12/05/2007, 11:09 PM
King of the Tank!

Sounds good John! I will be tied up the last weekend of the month (26 - 27) as the oldest turns 21 and have plans but all else looks clear as far as I can see. Should be a lot of fun!!!

Jay
Old 12/05/2007, 11:17 PM
Registered Member

This sounds like a plan to me. I will be kind of last minute as for if I will or will not be able to make it. We could get really busy at work and I may not be able to get the time off. I hope I can though. Will we do a frag trade as well?
Old 12/06/2007, 07:24 AM
Registered Member

the earlier in january the better for me...I like the idea of the home made food and the presentation on the denitrator sounds cool. I don't know if anyone else is interested, but I did find a link for DIY Lumenarc reflectors. Maybe too much for a meeting, but if someone is interested let me know, I am looking at doing it.
BBQ or pizza sounds good, but after seeing what jays wife went through to prepare all that food maybe we could do a pot luck or all pitch in for the pizzas, Just don't want to make you spend all your reef money on feeding everyone.
Old 12/06/2007, 08:57 AM
Registered Member

Ill be out of town from Jan 2-6....everything else sounds good.
Old 12/06/2007, 09:17 AM
Registered Member

Count me in! I will keep checking this thread and will be looking forward to meeting some people and picking up some frags!
Old 12/06/2007, 10:01 AM
Registered Member

i was thinking the 3rd sun. most the meetings seem to have worked best on that day. just putting it out there to get a feel.
i might have to go out of down this weekend for 2 weeks not sure. i'll have access to the internet, but still, i will not be here when my sump comes in grrrr.
Old 12/07/2007, 12:28 AM
Registered Member

Meeting Suggestion

Maybe at a future meeting someone could show us how to build a refugium and explain how they work and why they might be beneficial to your tank. I know this is a subject I would like to learn more about.
Old 12/07/2007, 01:54 AM
Registered Member

That sounds great killingseed!!!!
Let me know if would like me to bring something... cokes, paper plates, plastic forks, chips, etc. Cant wait last meeting was very fun got me my very first coral frags for my 120. They are doing great!!! Lettuce coral is growing the quickest and is getting bigger to me... hopefully i will post some pics up soon.

I would love to host a meeting.... later on next year sometime would be nice. I will have the complete setup up and running and give some time for future coral to grow. Just a thought if you guys wanted something towards cruces. But that is a while from now...... Thanks Jon for letting us invade your house next meeting cant wait it will be fun!!!!!

I will check this thread later on to see what date and time you guys decide on to see whether or not i will be able to make it.
Old 12/08/2007, 12:45 AM
Registered Member

The week of Januay 18th is good for me...
Old 12/14/2007, 05:35 PM
Registered Member

Any weekend in January will work. Let me know what you need me to bring.
Old 12/17/2007, 08:57 PM
Registered Member

i was thinking about the jan. 20 around 1:00 pm. i am putting a fish food list together i just need to post and working over the people food ideas but will post in the next couple day. want to get the date out and start working on some other things like flyers by the end of the week.
Old 12/19/2007, 02:19 PM
Registered Member

Food List for Fish;

Foods: Things people might already have or can get.
Garlic Extreme 1oz. by Kent Marine , Selcon, Aquarium Food Booster , 60ml. by American Marine, Seachem Garlic Guard, Formula Pellet food, Spirulina Powder, Cyclop-Eeze, phytoplankton

Fresh and Raw: scallops, peeled shrimp, squid, smelt, sushi eggs tobiko, Fresh Sea food combo from any supermartket deli, shellfish from a store that had a fish deli.

Frozen: brine shrimp, cyclop-eeze, blood worms, daphnia, krill, silver sides, phytoplankton.

Dry: flake, shrimp pellets, nori seaweed, reef chili, Mysis, Daphnia, Plankton, Blood Worms, and Krill. Spirulina Enriched Brine Shrimp is another good option.

Asian market: frozen shrimp, mysis that comes in a frozen block, squid, cuttlefish, mussel, fish called 'smelt' and octopus, found in the frozen section of an asian market, Nori

Last edited by killingseed; 12/19/2007 at 02:33 PM.
Old 12/19/2007, 02:30 PM
Registered Member

if each person brought one maybe two from that list, it would been some great food and would make a lot. the most important thing on the list are things in the Fresh and Raw. some of the stuff you migh have and use. best to list want you or can bring and i can note it down and repost as needed.

i will have ziplock baggies and a cookie sheet np there.
fresh plankton, some omega one pellets, algea sheets, Cyclop-Eeze and i'll see what else i can come up.

does anyone have a food processer that can be used? i have one but its packed way :<. i can look into getting one if needed .
Old 12/19/2007, 02:47 PM
King of the Tank!

John – I can bring the raw (but frozen!) seafood. How much do you think? I have a lump a little bigger than your fist about a pound I think? Mainly squid, shrimp, and crab meat. I only have a small processor and I’m sure we will need a larger one….

Jay
Old 12/19/2007, 09:30 PM
Registered Member

good selction there. last time i did it, i spent around 5.oo. i forget if it was a 1/2 or 1/4. pound sould do it. i still have some after a couple years. if you thou our some to lay flat would give an idea on how much it will make. if one more person would bring somethings from the Asian market like mysis or whatever they can find, that would be helpfull. by the time we lay it flat we truly will have a lot. also hoping someone has some of the the fish food additives from the list. other dry food are helpful as well.

me ziplock baggies, fresh plankton, some omega one pellets, algea sheets, Cyclop-Eeze and i'll see what else i can come up

jmait769 fresh squid, shrimp, and crab meat, frozen.
Old 12/20/2007, 01:17 AM
Registered Member

ok im a little lost???? what is the fish food list for??
Old 12/20/2007, 08:48 AM
King of the Tank!

Quote:
Originally posted by underWoasisjake
ok im a little lost???? what is the fish food list for??
Like this: Make your own fish food! for the tank not your belly!!!

Jay
Old 12/20/2007, 01:56 PM
Registered Member

I can bring some various foods, pellets/flakes/frozen and some liquid garlic from Kent Marine.