Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06/18/2007, 12:57 PM
Registered Member

Cycling is over, next step?

Well the tank has finished it's cycle and I'm wondering what my next step should be? Should I add fish?
Old 06/18/2007, 01:00 PM
Registered Member

If your sure your cycle is over you can...But add a fish that is hardy and also not to territorial or when you do add new fish you'll have problems.
Is your tank a fish only or a reef?If its going to be a reef add some hardy coral or some mushrooms.And remember to Quarentine fish befor addind to your reef.
Old 06/18/2007, 01:03 PM
Registered Member

hmmm. a piece of advice i have is put all the liverock in before adding fish. i was hasty in adding fish when i should have finished aquascaping the tank b4 adding any creatures.
Old 06/18/2007, 01:03 PM
Registered Member

any algae? most people will add a cleanup crew now.
Old 06/18/2007, 01:22 PM
Registered Member

All of the algae is gone and the sand is clean again. I have a cleaning crew (5 snails and 10 hermits), about 30lbs of live rock, and 20lbs of livesand. It will be a reef tank, but I'm not sure if I should add fish or coral first?
Old 06/18/2007, 01:25 PM
old enough to know better

My 02

Put in a very small clean up crew.

Setup a QT ... very common for wild caught fish to have diseases and almost everyone of them is lethal, highly contagious, and can't be treated in your show tank.

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/20...ture/index.php
Old 06/18/2007, 01:30 PM
Registered Member

I added some hardy corals,and one fish and gave the tank about a month to adjust to this bio load and then a little more....GO slow, and QT all your fish.Remember your starting new so keep your DT healthy or you'll have lots of problems and cost you a ton of $ that you could have spent making your DT something to be proud of...
Old 06/18/2007, 02:00 PM
Registered Member

one advice i received 12 years ago and that i still follow it is :before adding any fish or inverts(after quarantine) . do a good water change in your display tank before adding the new fish or invert. good luck. jakleen
Old 06/18/2007, 02:17 PM
reef obsessed

Re: Cycling is over, next step?

Quote:
Originally posted by JC_UF_ITK
Well the tank has finished it's cycle and I'm wondering what my next step should be? Should I add fish?
The first thing you should do after the cycle is finished is wait a week. Make sure the tank has stablilized and there are no mini-cycles. Then I would add a cleanup crew first. I like nassarius, cerith, astrea, and turbo snails for my cleanup crew.
Old 06/18/2007, 02:25 PM
Registered Member

I already have a clean-up crew. My LFS told me it was ok to put them in after two weeks. As a newbie I listened, but the crew has made it through the cycle just fine. I'm looking to go to the next level.