Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Seahorses & Pipefish
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10/02/2007, 10:10 PM
Premium Member

75g erectus tank

Here is my latest seahorse tank. There are 8 southern H. Erectus in this tank. No corals, just macros. The plastic tub with all of the holes drilled in it is for the 2 small (2-2.5 inch females). I will hold them in the tub untill they are a little bigger. They get lost in the 75g tank and I want to be sure they get enough to eat to ensure they get good growth when they need it most. In the tub they get all of the benefits of the 75g of tank water, macros, sump volume and skimmer, and chiller without actually having to be in the main tank. Plus when it's time to add them to the main tank, they don't need to be acclimated The tank is a little cloudy because I just changed the filter socks. It will clear up quickly.

Angie
Old 10/02/2007, 10:26 PM
Premium Member

Other tank info: 75g RR tank - 30g sump - ASM G3 skimmer - Mag 9.5 return pump - 1/3 hp prime chiller w/ mag 7 - 4- 48" 54w T5's (2 actinic blue 2 10k) - 5-6in DSB assorted snails, crabs, and 1 sea cucumber. - 1 A. Percula clown

Temp is set at 70 and the chiller will turn on when temp hits 72. Lighting period is 12 hrs a day. This tank has been set up since the beginning of August.
Nitrate under 10 nitites 0 ph 8.4 ammonia 0 calcium 450

20-30g water change is done almost every week. Sometimes I skip a week, but not too often. RODI water only w/ instant ocean salt mix.

The 4 males in the tank are from the first batch of erectus fry I ever raised. The females were purchased from Draco Marine. (yes they have southern erectus too, you just have to ask for them) I hope I didn't miss anything. Comments are welcome.

Angie
Old 10/03/2007, 09:47 PM
Registered Member

Maybe I need glasses or just a better LCD screen, but I just don't see any seahorses in that tank. But I do see your tank sitting on top of what seems to be a beautiful piece of furniture. Are those drawers there?
I do love a good piece of furniture.
Old 10/05/2007, 10:44 PM
Registered Member

I really like your tank, its one of my favorite seahorse tanks I've seen
Old 10/18/2007, 03:01 PM
Premium Member

It's hard to see the seahorses with all of the live rock. I may move some of it to the sump once the plants grow in more. I did rearrange the LR so most of it sits on the left side of the tank. It's only slightly easier to find them now, but they still insist on hanging out between the pieces of LR where I can't see them. Go figure. If that's where they need to be to feel secure, so be it. I'd rather they were hiding and not stressed then not have anyplace to hide and be very stressed.
I guess it's better for them to be happy then me......

1 male is preggers. He is due on the 27th. Another will preggers before then, I caught them doing "the dance" before I went to work this morning. Looks like it's time to get the fry room ready.......again and again and again and again, lol.

Angie
Old 10/20/2007, 12:52 AM
Registered Member

My hero!

I just started assembling the pieces to do a very similar setup ... 70G tall, dsb, macros, minimal LR, chiller, erectus. I hope it turns out as nice as yours.

Your sand bed doesn't look that deep ... are my eyeballs off?

Also, do you inject CO2 and what do you dose for the macros?

Everybody wants to go to heaven, but nobody wants to die.
Old 10/20/2007, 11:23 AM
Premium Member

It's hard to see but the tank actually sits about 3 inches inside the lip of the stand, so there is 4-5 inch sand bed. Not as much as 6 inches though. I do not inject co2. With 8 erectus in this tank there is enough nitrates and waste to keep the macros growing. I need to prune some of them soon. I don't dose anything in the tank either. I do weekly water changes. Once in awhile I even skip week if life gets in the way .

I will have to post more recent pics since rearranged the rocks. In a few days I have to cover the overflow with screening. I have fry that are due next week. I don't want to loose them to the sump.

Good luck with your setup. I wis I could have found a 70G TALL tank. Mine is just a standard 75g and the seahorses could have used the extra height during breeding. Obviously they managed, lol. My juvi's (size of my thumb) are courting too. He's got such a tiny pouch, but can inflate it so I guess that's all that counts.

Angie