Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > West Region-Reef Club Forums > Southern California Reefers
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/14/2007, 12:07 PM
Reef Joker

SoCal man sentenced to a year in prison in fish smuggling case

SoCal man sentenced to a year in prison in fish smuggling case

Tuesday, November 13, 2007

(11-13) 18:19 PST Los Angeles (AP) --

A Southern California man convicted of participating in a smuggling group that brought an endangered species of fish from Southeast Asia into the United States was sentenced Tuesday to a year in federal prison.

Bruce Penny, 37, of Cypress pleaded guilty earlier this year to a conspiracy charge. As part of his plea, he admitted selling several rare Asian Arowanas, commonly called "dragon" or "lucky" fish, to a man in New York, the U.S. Attorney's office said.

Two co-conspirators have been sentenced in the case. Anthony Robles, 30, of Carson, was sentenced to three years probation and six months of home detention for selling several Arowanas to Penny and helping him ship the fish to New York, authorities said.

Peter Wu, 43, of Rowland Heights, was sentenced to three years probation.

Arowanas are indigenous to Southeast Asia and grow up to three feet. They can sell for thousands of dollars on the black market.

http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cg...n181925S88.DTL
Old 11/14/2007, 12:12 PM
Premium Member

THIS HOBBY CAN COST YOU MORE THAN JUST YOUR SAVINGS!
Old 11/14/2007, 12:20 PM
Registered Member

The caught these guys almost two years ago right? Just sentenced now?
Old 11/14/2007, 12:45 PM
Registered Member

Hmmmmmm... i wonder if these guys are from Atlantic Tropical, that owner is one shady motha! HAHAHAHAHA.
Old 11/14/2007, 01:28 PM
Registered Member

If you buy a rare Asian Arowanas, you must have a certificate similar to this
Old 11/14/2007, 01:43 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by OC CJ
Hmmmmmm... i wonder if these guys are from Atlantic Tropical, that owner is one shady motha! HAHAHAHAHA.
LOL
Old 11/14/2007, 01:48 PM
Registered Member

Certificate or not they are still illegal to buy, sale, or own.
Old 11/14/2007, 02:40 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by raskal311
Certificate or not they are still illegal to buy, sale, or own.
Are all arowonas illegal to own?

I've seen them in restaurants and LFS display tanks.
Old 11/14/2007, 02:48 PM
Reef Joker

old US FWS Press Release from July 25, 2002

California Man Indicted for Importing Endangered Asian Fish into Oregon

News Releases Home Page

Search the News Releases
U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service Home

Contacts
Joan Jewett, 503/231-6121
02-80

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A California man is scheduled to face trial September 17, 2002, in U.S. District Court in Portland on charges related to the illegal importation and sale of Asian arowana, a unique, colorful fish native to Malaysia and Indonesia. The fish, which can sell for as much as $10,000 each, is protected as endangered under the federal Endangered Species Act. Importing them into the United States is illegal.

The trial was scheduled after Lloyd Gomez, 25, of Modesto, California, pleaded not guilty Friday, July 19, before U.S. District Judge Dennis Hubel. A federal indictment alleges that Gomez and Joe Lian Ho Luah of Edmonton, Alberta, Canada, conspired to import and sell the endangered fish, illegally transported them into the United States in violation of the Endangered Species Act, and falsified documents in an attempt to pass through U.S. Customs. The men also face one count of wire fraud, which charges them with using the Internet to communicate illegal activities via email. Gomez faces an additional charge of making false statements to law enforcement officials.

Each of the charges carries a maximum penalty of $250,000 and/or five years imprisonment. Gomez is free on personal recognizance pending trial. Luah remains in Canada.

The indictment alleges that Luah established a tropical fish business called Emperor Pond in Canada, where it is legal to import and sell captive-bred Asian arowana, and used that business to smuggle the fish to Gomez for illegal sale to customers in the United States. In furtherance of the conspiracy, the indictment alleges, Luah consigned a shipment of 11 Asian arowana to Gomez on September 9, 2001, from Edmonton, Alberta to Portland, Oregon, and falsely identified them in an invoice presented to the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service as cichlids, tropical fish that are legal to import. Upon inspection by U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service agents, the fish were determined to be Asian arowana.

Asian arowana are very popular among aquarium hobbyists because of their vibrant colors, unique shape, and air of mystery. The fish has large scales and barbels, which resemble horns, giving them the nickname "dragonfish." Asian arowana, are believed to symbolize luck, wealth, prosperity and strength.

Asian arowana have three natural color variations: golden, red, and green. Breeders in Asia have created several other variations by interbreeding the fish. Due to their great demand, Asian arowana can sell for as much as $10,000, depending on the variety and quality. Wild populations of Asian arowana have severely declined, causing them to be listed as an Appendix I species under the Convention on the International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora (CITES). Trading of the wild fish is illegal. However, 23 CITES-registered breeding facilities in Asia are producing fish that can be exported for sale. These fish are legal to export to Canada and elsewhere, but not to the United States, where they are protected and the importation of either captive-bred or wild Asian arowana is prohibited.

The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service is the principal Federal agency responsible for conserving, protecting and enhancing fish, wildlife and plants and their habitats for the continuing benefit of the American people. The Service manages the 95-million acre National Wildlife Refuge System which encompasses nearly 540 national wildlife refuges, thousands of small wetlands and other special management areas. It also operates 70 national fish hatcheries, 64 fishery resource offices and 78 ecological services field stations. The agency enforces Federal wildlife laws, administers the Endangered Species Act, manages migratory bird populations, restores nationally significant fisheries, conserves and restores wildlife habitat such as wetlands, and helps foreign governments with their conservation efforts. It also oversees the Federal Aid program that distributes hundreds of millions of dollars in excise taxes on fishing and hunting equipment to state fish and wildlife agencies.
NOTE: This news release and others can be viewed on either the Service's Pacific Regional home page on the Internet at http://www.r1.fws.gov or the National home page at: http://www.fws.gov/r9extaff/renews.html
Old 11/14/2007, 02:50 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by reef_doug
Are all arowonas illegal to own?

I've seen them in restaurants and LFS display tanks.
not the silver, black and jardini. Only the asian arowanas (green, gold, red & etc.)
Old 11/14/2007, 02:51 PM
Reef Joker

as far as certificate and asian arowanas:

Quote:
These fish are legal to export to Canada and elsewhere, but not to the United States, where they are protected and the importation of either captive-bred or wild Asian arowana is prohibited
Old 11/14/2007, 04:21 PM
Registered Member

wow why risk all that just for some money
Old 11/14/2007, 04:30 PM
Crawfish Eating Reefer

Quote:
Originally posted by coast2coast7390
Why not? Who wouldn't want money, though?
Old 11/14/2007, 04:35 PM
Reef Joker

Quote:
because crime pays! at least until you get caught.
I guess penalties act as a deterrent to some, but not all willing to take risks.
Old 11/14/2007, 04:37 PM
Registered Member

i like to earn my money the honest way
Old 11/14/2007, 07:49 PM
Registered Member

Is there really a demand for Asian Arowanas that someone would
pay thousands?Ten thousand a pop is no joke..
Old 11/14/2007, 08:57 PM
Registered Member

Yes.. there really is.

Last edited by xxvietxjustinxx; 11/14/2007 at 09:19 PM.
Old 11/14/2007, 10:47 PM
Registered Member

Anyone making money illegally is a chump. Thats the easy button in life. Dreams are legal, so just follow them

I bet you can eat one and sell your doodoo. 10g's...wow.

Last edited by 818; 11/14/2007 at 10:55 PM.
Old 11/14/2007, 11:26 PM
Registered Member

THEY SHOULD MAKE SELLING DAMSELS ILLEGAL AS WELL!!!
Old 11/15/2007, 12:16 AM
Registered Member

Importing an arowana is no easy feat Sam, lol.
Old 11/15/2007, 04:06 AM
Registered Member

Selling drug would be much easily than arowana...If you want to get rich for doing illegal.
Old 11/15/2007, 04:10 AM
Premium Member

I met Peter once at his house. He had several rare Arowanas in his garage. Beautiful fish. I remember he had a chili red with purple base....wow!! He wanted $5000 for it.
Old 11/15/2007, 04:09 PM
Registered Member

Small world.

I actually know Bruce from boating related stuff. I had heard he had fish and stuff but since it was freshwater I never even asked him about it. That would explain why I haven't heard much from him on other message boards.

Chris
Old 11/15/2007, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Henry760
Is there really a demand for Asian Arowanas that someone would
pay thousands?Ten thousand a pop is no joke..
There was a link posted about some guy who bought a $250K arowana (yes, in US Dollars!) And I feel bad because I blew $60 on a Purple Tang...
Old 11/15/2007, 05:32 PM
The Fish Tank Mogul

how about an $80K arrowana?

http://www.myfishtank.net/80000-arowana-aquarium-fish/

doesn't beat the $250k one (anyone have a picture of that?)