Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Advanced Topics
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10/14/2007, 11:22 PM
Registered Member

Post Nepthyigorgia ( Red Chili Coral)

Hi, im new to ReefCentral, but ive been a member of TheReefTank for almost 1 year now, there i created a community study board on the chili coral, wich i had for 1 year at the time i joined TRT, its became somewhat popular & im interested in expanding it to more reef hobbyist. i hope even more people find the information in this thread to be as valuable as it was to so many there.

The Coral Colony has been in my first aquarium for almost almost 2 years, it has had a rough time adapting to the tank, & i faced hard time too, cyano bacteria. & food shortages. but its still here still healthy & hopefully ready to aquaculter ,yes there was a time, & its written in the thread when i thought it was dieng, this is how we came up with the idea that the coral hibernates, a peroid of rest where the coral stays dormat for months. but i was so relived when it started coming to life agian, & finally with upgraded filtration, cyano is gone, still able to feed almost as much & hardly any cyano grows back.

http://thereeftank.com/forums/showthread.php?t=92938
Old 10/15/2007, 09:08 AM
Registered Member

Not much people participated there , more a personal thread.

Nice to meet you here, ChilisREasy, not too much people are posting about chilis here too, and attempts for centralized thread didn't succeeded. People just come and go, more questions about new purchase, than follow-up about the long term life of coral.

Reefyone.
Old 10/15/2007, 10:56 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by dendro982
Not much people participated there , more a personal thread.

Nice to meet you here, ChilisREasy, not too much people are posting about chilis here too, and attempts for centralized thread didn't succeeded. People just come and go, more questions about new purchase, than follow-up about the long term life of coral.

Reefyone.
by '' Somewhat Popular'' i was refering to how many veiws the thread got by TRT members & searches from yahoo ! Google & such. i know not many people participated (mostly you) but it did out rank many popular threads in the soft corals section in how many veiws it got, that counts for something. just hopeing to spark more interest in the coral here cant blame a guy for trying
Old 10/16/2007, 07:06 AM
Registered Member

The point was you "created a community study board" (in which I am not a member, just posted as in many other threads) and in other places refer to this thread as "my thread", with the amount of views it received.
Really sorry for the sour note, may be someone will wish to participate in raising this count
I am out.
Old 10/16/2007, 08:07 PM
Registered Member

well if no-one cares, ill just take it offline & forget it.

sorry if i was being ''High & Mighty'' ,

i just finally had something to be proud of.
Old 10/17/2007, 02:57 PM
Registered Member

I think you did a good job keeping that coral alive. Don't let the static of other reefers get to you either. Just ignore comments like that.

Great Job!
Old 10/19/2007, 02:29 AM
Registered Member

Hi
I'm very interested in the care of the chili coral. I've been hoping to be able to acquire one and successfully keep it. What type of husbandry practices did you use for your success? light, water flow, etc.

thanks
Old 10/21/2007, 11:01 PM
Registered Member

Please explain your feeding techniques and water flow around the coral. Soon I will be starting an experiment and setting up a non photo synthetic tank.
Old 10/22/2007, 12:32 AM
Registered Member

does the chili coral need to be fed anything "special"
Old 10/22/2007, 12:32 AM
Registered Member

does the chili coral need to be fed anything "special"
Old 10/22/2007, 02:28 PM
Registered Member

Water flow should be direct, but at a distance, in a 55g tank i have almost 600gph of water flow alone, over 600gph of filtration added along with that, i went 2 years without a skimmer, i just added one, i only used a dual-bio-wheel with carbon, & one large sump filtration, over a pound of carbon inside. feeding is best done by target feeding planktonic foods & dissolved dust like foods, keep filters on if you want to keep cyano from growing. you can feed baby brine & cyclop-eeze & other larger micron foods by adding a cube to the tank or target feeding, either method works, feed for about 2 hours every night, i suggest more, tho i have never exceeded that amount. i use ANY foods i can get my hands on, Micro-vert,Kent Chroma,Kent Phyto,All sizes of baby shrimp, all sizes of zoo-plankton,cyclopeeze,Marine snow, among others, i do not use all of them every day, i substitute them, for example =Monday= (Marine snow,Cyclop-eeze & micro-vert) =Tuesday= (Baby Brine,Kent Phyto,Marine snow) that sorta thing. i feed every time the polyps are extended. unless im out of food ...lighting i use 120w 10k PC, but am upgrading to 314w 10k MH. its nocturnal & rarely blooms in the day. water parms have never shifted except for calcium, if calcium is low or high it will not extend its polyps, if temperature gets above 78 it will not extend, keep temp at 69 to 77. ive had it down in the high 60's with better expansion than in the 70's. but this was only a accident as i forgot to plug the heater on
Old 10/22/2007, 02:32 PM
Registered Member

this coral will be exaclty 2 years old in Febuary or march, i cant exaclty remember. when i bought it, no-body in my area even knew what it was, so we didnt pay alot of attention to it, most people thought it was a sponge . LOL