Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > West Region-Reef Club Forums > Southern California Reefers
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/31/2007, 02:35 AM
Registered Member

Bulb choice and other questions

1) Im planning on a frag system now, and i bought a 250 watt electronic HQI ballast, that will be hooked up to a Lumen max 3 reflector, My question is witch bulb gives the best growth, and gives the coral nice color? I know its opinion and some fact but im not looking for a nice Crisp blue white bulb or anything. Its a frag tank(not made to look nice) i just want things to grow etc.. Any imput is appreciated.

2) is there a formula for overflow GPH into a sump to a return to a tank, so i dont get my tank overflowing from to much Return or vice versa with sump overflowing from too much draining. and FAIL safes i would use for the tank. The tank im planning is going to be 20x20x12, 1/4 inch glass corner overflow. From my calculations this should be just over 20 gallons. My sump would be another 20 gallon tall. Im running this skimmerless and may look into a calcium reactor if need be. If anyone can help, than hit me with your best shot. Thanks for your time
-Austin
Old 12/31/2007, 03:09 AM
Premium Member

ab 10k + actenics very hard to beat that
Old 12/31/2007, 03:21 AM
Registered Member

actinics will help with color, or The growth and color outcome of the corals? i know they help with growth but i didnt think it was a significant amount, also i thought that the actinic just brings out the glow in the coral not the coral grow into a nicer color? Im debating the actinics. i want to just stick with the MH but might look into the actinics for better growth than just the 250 watt by itself. thanks
any more imput on Bulb choice or what about a conversion for tank/sump?
Old 12/31/2007, 03:39 AM
Registered Member

I've read that this bulb helps with the best growth: http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_ViewIt...ct~MB6211.html

But the only downfall is that it will look yellow. If you think about supplementing, then actinics will drown out the yellow look.
Old 12/31/2007, 03:42 AM
Registered Member

Thanks!! i dont care how it looks, it will be a frag system in a closet type thing i just want growth dont care on looks of light color, but want coloration in the corals.
Anyone know where the best place to buy bulbs from?
Old 12/31/2007, 11:30 AM
Registered Member

Go with the radium german bulbs dude! They are best. I have tried them all, there nothing better than radium. 250 HQI
Old 12/31/2007, 11:32 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by plugpitch
I've read that this bulb helps with the best growth: http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_ViewIt...ct~MB6211.html

But the only downfall is that it will look yellow. If you think about supplementing, then actinics will drown out the yellow look.
Actually the main downfall will be that the Lumenmax 3 will not use mogul ended bulbs.

SPS = Stability Promotes Success

Be wary of advice coming from those who will not show you the fruits of their success!
Old 12/31/2007, 12:33 PM
Premium Member

PasadenaReefer - you may want to consider buying a Lumenmax 2. There is a much broader selection for SE bulbs.

SPS = Stability Promotes Success

Be wary of advice coming from those who will not show you the fruits of their success!
Old 12/31/2007, 12:39 PM
Registered Member

i may, Lumen max 3 was my 1st choice because i like DE, i can go with SE. Again i dont really care, because its a frag system that wont be for a display... etc. i have heard alot of the radium german bulbs, but still would like more imput on resulsts you reefers have had. I understand that using SE bulbs there is a much broader selection witch is better. Thanks for posts. Anyone else want to add to these comments?
-Austin
Old 12/31/2007, 01:08 PM
Moved On

SE 12k radium would best suit your needs. A 10k bulb will produce the most growth, but you still want a little blue spectrum. John at OC Advanced Acrylics makes great frag tanks. adv.acrylics@yahoo.com. Email him for a free quote.
Old 12/31/2007, 04:07 PM
Fantasy Coral

Quote:
Originally posted by reefmaster805
SE 12k radium would best suit your needs.
Radiums only come 20k.............
Old 12/31/2007, 04:48 PM
Registered Member

i searched and couldn't find any 12k radiums. only 20k like steve said, I went with a 250 Watt 10000K XM, Mogul. Ive heard some good things about this bulb so i went with it. I still need some imput on my tank. What size should my drain be, and return GPH ? etc anyone have some good info to give?
Old 12/31/2007, 05:49 PM
Registered Member

go se if you are looking for a better selection on bulbs.