Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby

Old 11/30/2007, 01:32 AM
Registered Member

Treat Itch Quick Help Please

HI,,i am gonna treat my fish itches with hypo treat with low salinity 1.009 so,,i just wonder what if i let all the rock in side the tank what will happen to the rock?
all the rock doesn't have coralline yet,,,just white but live rock,,,no coral yet,,only fishes,,,please let me know if i have to get all the rock out of it ok to leave it in there,,,iam really dont' want to take all the rock out but if i have too then i will,,alot off rock,,,,here thanks
Old 11/30/2007, 01:55 AM
Registered Member

Doing the hypo treatment is a good idea, make sure to do it slowly over say 2 days time so you dont shock the system.

You might kill off the bacteria in and on the rock and could cause a cycle which you dont want to do. I would suggest buying a 20 gallon tank, a cheap filter and heater and using that as a quarantine tank. Just do a water chnage from your main display, take the water from that and put it into the Quarantine and then do the hypo.
Old 11/30/2007, 01:59 AM
Registered Member

I would also get a seperate tank for a QT. It's just not worth the risk of killing the life on the live rock.
Old 11/30/2007, 02:09 AM
Registered Member

i have 180g tank,,,with alot of fish,,,so no way that i can find something to house all my fish in,,so i have to take all the rock out then?? if i don't then my rock will come back like normal or never?/
Old 11/30/2007, 02:16 AM
Registered Member

The rock will come back in time but you can cause a cycle due to bacteria die off which will cause the ammonia and Nitrate, and nitrite levels to rise and that could kill the fish you have.

What about buying a 40 breeder? They are about $120. If you take out all the rock in doing so you will disturb the sand bed and will kick up alot of junk which can also create somewhat of a cycle. I would avoid it. If you dont want to buy a tank, go to your local lowes/ home depot and get a rubber maid tube, or even a garbage can and use that as your QT. It wont be pretty but it will work.
Old 11/30/2007, 02:16 AM
RC Mod

Most or all of the animals in the live rock will die. If that happens, the decay might become a major problem. Once that's resolved, the live rock can be reseeded to some extent by adding some new live rock.
Old 11/30/2007, 02:58 AM
Premium Member

A cheaper 1 month QT tank would be a rubbermaid container, 50ish gallon is sold at home depot the other day for roughly $30. You will need some sort of filtration imho. However in a pinch it's a very dark tank. The problem with this is observation in an ich treatment scenario. However with bright overhead light or a flash light to examine the fish in question it can be done. But I echo everyone else here, get a QT regardless of your main display tank.
Old 11/30/2007, 03:16 AM
Registered Member

The fact that you have that many fish is an argument FOR a QT system, not a reason to not get one. There is no sense risking the invertebrate life in your substrate. Get a rubbermaid container and a filter, cycle the QT tank and you're good to o.
Old 11/30/2007, 03:20 AM
Premium Member

Depending on the Ich stage and how bad it is, I wouldn't even cycle it. I would get the fish in and test obsessively. Get the filter running and change the water with 1.009 water religiously every other day until the tank cycles itself. Just make sure you are constantly checking it. Waiting 2-4 weeks could be too late in some cases of Ich.
Old 11/30/2007, 03:33 AM
Obsessed

walmart kiddie pool 15 bux.
Old 11/30/2007, 04:04 AM
Registered Member

Why cycle when you can just take water from the main tank, start the hypo? Seems alot easier than cycling, since the water from the main tank is already established.
Old 11/30/2007, 10:26 AM
Registered Member

how long does it take for the rock to die out,,,i already treated about 2day now,,,i think i will take all the rock out slow ,,,i don't think it will disture the sand much,,because all the rock is sitting hiigh on the sand,,,this is a young tank,,i hope its not too late to take all the rock out,,thanks
Old 11/30/2007, 04:00 PM
Registered Member

It ownt take long with that low of salinity. Since you state that the tank is fairly new, my guess would be thet the tank is completly stabile yet and you will cycle.

If that happens your fish will be at risk. Its not too late to get something to put the fish into and raise the salinity back up in the main tank. That is what I would do.
It can take weeks or even over a month to get the tank stabile again and done cycling.
Old 11/30/2007, 07:04 PM
Registered Member

i think i am worry about all the fish than rock,,,i will get 150g rubber maid and tranfer fish too there,,,hope they will not die,,,thanks all
Old 11/30/2007, 07:43 PM
Registered Member

Ich will always be in the water, including rocks. Just feed the fish pellets with garlic, to empower their immune system. Just babysit the fish, they will be fine over time, if they are not meant to live then may they be better off in a new home.
Old 11/30/2007, 07:49 PM
RC Mod

I don't see any reason to believe that marine ich will always be in the water. It's a host-specific parasite, and usually can be eliminated with hyposalinity for the fish, and a fish-free display tank. Any parasites in the rocks will starve to death in at most a couple of months.
Old 11/30/2007, 08:35 PM
Registered Member

waxy's way worked for me, i get alot of flack from my beliefs in garlic but garlic makes mosquitoes not bite me so why not make ich bugs not want to be on a fish with garlic in it's system, i had ich BAD and 1 week of garlic and it was almost gone, 2 weeks totally gone, i use garlic extreme every feeding, good luck
Old 12/01/2007, 12:25 AM
Registered Member

how do you used garlic?? when feeding,,,,just put the food in garlic liquid??
Old 12/01/2007, 06:14 AM
Registered Member

"Why cycle when you can just take water from the main tank, start the hypo? Seems alot easier than cycling, since the water from the main tank is already established."

Using water from the display would help little if at all. Its not the water that cycles its the filtration / live rock ect. I agree with those saying you need to setup a QT. That's the best thing for sure. If your using Hypo and have alot of rocks I guess you could sacrifice a couple to add to the filtration capacity of the QT.. I wouldnt though.