Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/23/2007, 04:38 PM
Registered Member.

Sea Swirls or Wavysea...any recommendations?

Trying to decide which one to go with .Any experience on either would be great. I will be running 2 on my custom 273g. tank
Old 11/23/2007, 11:47 PM
Premium Member

Interested as well > Bump
Old 11/23/2007, 11:50 PM
Registered Member

I've used both and prefer the Wavysea, though it is much more expensive. It can handle a lot more water, can rotate 360 degree, and the nozzle doesn't keep falling off.

I'm currently running it attached to my return pump and wished i had went with two more as oppose to having the Oceansmotions on my closed loop.
Old 11/23/2007, 11:53 PM
Registered Member

Wavysea 2,300gph and Wavysea+ 3,600gph.
Old 11/23/2007, 11:58 PM
Registered Member.

yeah I'm kinda leaning towards the wavysea cuz of the 360 degree and the controler. I just did not hear about them until recently and didn't know if they were new .I didn't want to find out all the new product problems...the hard way
Old 11/24/2007, 12:19 AM
Registered Member

How could you run 2 through the return pumps?

Won't that put a lot of flow through your sump?

Quote:
I'm currently running it attached to my return pump and wished i had went with two more as oppose to having the Oceansmotions on my closed loop.
Old 11/24/2007, 02:47 AM
Premium Member

i've had a sea swirl running for 3 1/2 years with no issues, even after half of it being dipped into the tank(my fault) and dropping it onto the tile floor several times. I looked into the wavyseas while setting up my current tank, i liked the thought of the additional control they offer, but have read a lot of posts that they are very sensitive to any moisture and will quit working because of it. I have a 380g tank and can't imagine running 3600gph through my sump/returns. you probably won't want or need to run any more than 1500gph through your returns, so my vote would be for sea swirls.
Old 11/24/2007, 02:53 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by homebrewdude
How could you run 2 through the return pumps?

Won't that put a lot of flow through your sump?
Sorry, I got two sentences intertwined together. I meant to say that I should have went with two wavyseas as oppose to the oceansmotions on my closed loop, since i like the way my return with wavysea covers the area.
Old 11/24/2007, 04:09 AM
Registered Member.

I am going to have 2 wavyseas on two different pumps. the pumps will sit in my overflow...it is 7" deep the entire width of the tank.I'm not worried about flow to the sump just pros and cons of both
Old 11/24/2007, 06:32 AM
Premium Member

I have had two sea swirls for almost three years now and have not had one ounce of trouble. Best thing I have ever purchased for the tank. The corals love the random flow. The only thing about them is you have to be careful you don't hit the with you arm in the tank and break them. With the wavy sea's I would worry about the electronics and moister over time.
Old 11/24/2007, 09:22 AM
Registered Member

So you would plumb the closed loop to the wavy sea then?
Instead of the OM4.
Old 11/24/2007, 12:07 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jero1
I am going to have 2 wavyseas on two different pumps. the pumps will sit in my overflow...it is 7" deep the entire width of the tank.
How will you get equal flow from the overflow to the pump and back into the aquarium? I know that this is going to be a calfo style overflow but I would think that this would need to be in 3 sections within the calfo style overflow.

What are you going to use for the return from the sump to the aquarium? I would think that you could use a small pump back into each overflow section that has the pump for the wavysea.
Old 11/24/2007, 02:10 PM
Registered Member.

Look...my return pump that is running is the hammerhead. i dont have a problem with the overflow
Emster...don't you have to worry about moisture on the sea swirls? Are they not powered?
Old 11/24/2007, 02:37 PM
Premium Member

they are powered by an electric motor, but do not have any internal electronics/chips to control the speed or range of movement like wavyseas, and so are less susceptible to moisture.
Old 11/24/2007, 03:58 PM
Registered Member

The ReeFlo Hammerhead pump is being use for your main return into the aquarium and obviously you have other equipment tied into this pump or very high head pressure.

What I'm asking about is how are you going to be able to get the correct flow from aquarium to the wavysea?

The only reason I'm asking is because I like the idea, not that you're crazy!!!
Old 11/24/2007, 04:13 PM
Registered Member.

Quote:
Originally posted by RoBolton
The ReeFlo Hammerhead pump is being use for your main return into the aquarium and obviously you have other equipment tied into this pump or very high head pressure.

What I'm asking about is how are you going to be able to get the correct flow from aquarium to the wavysea?

The only reason I'm asking is because I like the idea, not that you're crazy!!!
I'm looking at using 2 magdrive pumps one on each wavysea....
and I am allittle crazy....hehe
Old 11/24/2007, 04:28 PM
Registered Member

I'm glad that I'm not alone. Some pumps that might also: Rio, Quie One and Red Dragon.

The wavyseas with the mag2 pumps are not going to be your main turnover in the aquarium?
Old 11/24/2007, 04:40 PM
Registered Member.

Quote:
Originally posted by RoBolton
I'm glad that I'm not alone. Some pumps that might also: Rio, Quie One and Red Dragon.

The wavyseas with the mag2 pumps are not going to be your main turnover in the aquarium?
no they wont....the hammerhead is putting just under 4000gph back to the tank
the wavysea's are supplements..trying to avaoid using my 4 huge tunzes.
Allittle history...Ive been doing the tanks on a more business scale and am just trying to get back to enjoying the hobby....so if I don't have to look at all the guady equiptment the better...
Old 11/24/2007, 05:07 PM

Im running 2-1" sea swirls on my return with about 1200gph each, and love them. I'm sure the wavy seas are nice, but I couldn't justify the added expense when I would probably run about the same pattern as the sea swirl anyway.
Old 11/24/2007, 05:46 PM
Registered Member

What size tank do you have?
What else are you using for flow?

Quote:
Im running 2-1" sea swirls on my return with about 1200gph each, and love them. I'm sure the wavy seas are nice, but I couldn't justify the added expense when I would probably run about the same pattern as the sea swirl anyway.
Old 11/25/2007, 04:14 AM
Registered Member

I just set up a WavySea on my 50 breeder and bought another for my 75 because I love it. DOn't have experience with SeaSwirl. For the price of the Wavysea it better not break down I like the ability to control both the Range of rotaion and speed with the wavysea. That way I don't blast my internal overflow everytime it rotates that direction and cause surges into the box = more noise. Very happy with them so far.
Old 11/25/2007, 11:32 AM
Registered Member

I have a Wavy Sea on a Mag 12 for my return into my 75. Its been running trouble free for a little over a year. My only complaint is when i have a power failure i have to re- set the rotation limits, as it freezes in the position it was in when the power went out. As far as moisture if you follow the directions its cool. One thing i may do if i transfer it to the new tank is run a bead of silicone over the seam on the case and the cord exit. With the new tank i will need a second one.
Old 11/25/2007, 11:37 AM
Registered Member

How does that Mag 12 do on your sump?
Do you have a lot of flow through it?
Old 11/25/2007, 12:19 PM
Registered Member

Its not too bad as i tapped the return line to feed a pair of reactors so its not getting the entire flow of the 12 plus add in head loss.
Old 11/25/2007, 12:25 PM
Team RC Member

I use 2 opposed sea swirls each with a T-shaped exit [1000gph off a T] on the sides of my wedge tank. Does real well. I had a problem with sand getting up and walking: addition of a modular hose style T on each prevented this and produces a nice action.

The lps particularly 'enjoy' it and grow quite rapidly due to better feeding.

I think it's also good for the mental health of the fish: the number of current combinations with two slightly-out-of-time Sea Swirls is pretty high, and they get up and move.

"Make haste slowly." ---Augustus.

"If anything CAN go wrong, it will, and at the worst possible moment."---St. Murphy.