Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > The Reef Chemistry Forum
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/22/2007, 07:14 PM
Registered Member

raising calcium levels / purple up

My problem is that I cant seem to get the calcium levels in my tank up. I have been adding purple up every day to the tank, but it hasn't raised the calcium reading at all. Could someone please advise me on how I can raise my calcium levels without negatively effecting the other levels in the tank. Is kalkwasser what I need? or something else?

My water parameters are:

ph: 8.2
alkalinity: 3.43 meq/l
nitrates: 0
nitrites: 0
ammonia: 0
phosphates: 0
salt: 1.021
calcium: 200

Thank you.
Old 11/22/2007, 09:21 PM
Registered Member

If your magnesium levels are low then you will have a hard time getting your calcium up.
Old 11/22/2007, 09:28 PM
mmmmmm Fish

Kalkwassar will bump up alkalinity too...as will a calcium(carbonate) reactor.

If the magnesium is ok, then any calcium supplement will do (turbo calcium, any calcium half of a two part, etc)

Purple up won't tell you what exactly is in there product or how much a given volume will raise anything (read snake oil).

"I don't want to achieve immortality through my work, I want to achieve immortality by not dying"-- Woody Allen
Old 11/22/2007, 09:28 PM
Nothing original for now

200 is pretty low. I would find another test kit or make sure you are using yours correctly. I've been using Seachem products lately and I'm pleased with the results.
Old 11/22/2007, 09:36 PM
Premium Member

I've been using Seachem to much success myself. This product. The calcium additive contains magnesium and strontium, its got a bottle which keeps your alk up, and multi-vitamins. You can get it in larger sizes as well. I would test your alk as well. Sometimes high alk levels can depress calcium. I've been using this for about 2 months in my new 70 gallon. Coraline is growing on all of the rocks.
Old 11/24/2007, 11:26 AM
Registered Member

I wouldnt use kalkwasser to raise your calcium levels as your alk is already in the right range. You need some calcium chloride to raise your calcium levels. Personally, I use the DIY two part to save a significant amount of money. Purple up is useless - I believe its calcium carbonate which is basically like adding sand to your aquarium, it wont help unless your ph drops dangerously low, then you have bigger problems then low calcium.

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issu...l2004/chem.htm
Old 11/24/2007, 06:55 PM
Premium Member

I would agree with MrPike. You can also find Anhydrous Calcium Chloride by purchasing Kent Turbo Calcium granulars.

Here is a calculator to determin amount to add:
http://home.comcast.net/~jdieck1/chem_calc3.html
Old 11/24/2007, 07:48 PM
RC Mod

The Purple Up product doesn't work well. I'd go with a calcium chloride product, as suggested, and baking soda. Both are dissolved in RO-DI water and then dosed into the system.

A second opinion on the test kits might be useful. Also, some measurements on freshly-mixed saltwater might give an idea of whether the kits are working.
Old 11/24/2007, 11:44 PM
Registered Member

Why is my magnesium too high?

I recently purchased a salifert magnesium test kit and am unsure of the what the levels are because my tank seems to be more than 1500ppm.
(Test only goes to 1500ppm)
The test requires I add 1ml of reactant to the sample to make the color change at 1500ppm.
I require 1.1 to make the color change does this mean my Mg is at aprox 1650ppm?
I would also like to know if levels this high can be harmful to anything?

I have never dosed anything with mg in it .

I do weekly 10% water changes with NSW which tests just under 1500ppm.

Can anyone tell me where there extra mg is coming from? and if it's bad how do I get it lower?

Thanks for your time, Rich.
Old 11/24/2007, 11:45 PM
Registered Member

woops! sorry not watching what I was doin!
Old 11/25/2007, 12:49 AM
Premium Member

Take a look at this link Rich.
Old 11/25/2007, 08:45 AM
Premium Member

You pretty much confirmed it. Your Mg is off. It's a tad too high. I would get some RO/DI water and mix some synthetic salt up and do a largish water change (20%) or so. This should help bring it down slightly. That way you have a known sample of water/salt to go from to adjust your system. I would then test your source water for Mg as well. If it's too high I would consider not using it and go synthetic. Not all actual Ocean water is ideal for closed Aquarium systems and varies dynamically.

Doing a water change should bring all three Ca, Alk, and Mg closer to each other. I find that to be the most effective technique over dosing.