Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment

Old 11/21/2007, 03:04 PM
Registered Member

Lighting soultions for a 30" tank

Over the last few I have been getting together all the gear to set up the tank. The plan is to setup a 37G (30x12x22) reef tank (LPS, Some SPS and maybe a clam)

Currently the only choice I have not made is my lighting I am right now leaning toward a 250W MH system (If I am going to do this I think I should do it right )

Anyone Have any good Recommendations for a 250W MH system for a 30" tank?
So far I have found a few choices
Current USA Sunpod 250W HQI 30"
http://oceanaquatics.com/store/produ...50W-HQI-30%22/
Any other recommendations for lighting fixtures?

Another possibility is that I might get the wooden canopy for the tank and customize the lighting system.
Will one 250W MH be good for a 30" tank or should I add some PC/T5HO to complement the lighting (Or another MH)?
Old 11/21/2007, 05:28 PM
Registered Member

if you want to make your own hood try the retrofit at www.hellologhts.com plus have some good prices. I can not decide for mine which is also 30" deep on which lights to go with at this point. Torn between the MH and PC???? Mine is 72"X24"X30" I'd like to know what you decide.
Old 11/21/2007, 05:32 PM
"Lurker"

I'm setting up a 20L and had the same delima. The conclusion that seemed best for me was a custom wooden hood w/ a pair of VHO actinics and a single 175w MH. If mounted high enough (and stack the LR right) the single MH should light the whole tank. But I mounted mine about 4" from the water line. Although I don't have the tank filled yet, I figure to have some dark spots at each end of the tank. This is fine w/ me because I will just put lower light corals there.
Old 11/21/2007, 05:47 PM
Registered Member

I'm in the middle of setting up a new tank myself so I have been doing a bit of time looking into lighting. A think the 250w MH would be plenty for you as long as it has a 14k to 20k lamp in it. If it comes with a 10k lamp then you will need some t5 supplementation.

Many will suggest that buying a luminarc reflector, a good lamp, and a good electronic ballast would be your best option. Luminarcs' are the best reflectors on the market at this time. The reason being (well aside from the fact that they reflect the most light) is that you can move a luminarc as far as 12" from the water and not loose more than a couple % light density. Moving it that far away will keep some heat out of the tank and minimize salt spray on the UV filter.

If you want plenty of MH information go to sanjay's web page and he has conducted many very concise scientific studies on MH lamps, ballasts, and reflectors. They are all available for your reading pleasure.
Old 11/21/2007, 11:39 PM
Registered Member

Doesn't your 37 have a center brace??
Old 11/22/2007, 01:56 AM
Registered Member

tagging along, as im also curious to the best choice lighting for this size tank (for sps and clams as well)...
Old 11/22/2007, 07:01 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rickh
Doesn't your 37 have a center brace??
I do not know (I don't think so) I have not got the tank yet.
Old 11/22/2007, 01:59 PM
Registered Member

Someone on a local board is selling a 170W MH Balist socket and bulb for $100. Since it doesn't come with a reflector I would probably get
a PFO 24" Parallel Reflector (or two 15" Reflectors and mesh them together)
I am thinking about getting this setup and making my own hood. It will allow me to upgrade the lighting slowly if I need to by added eather another MH, 2xT5HO or 2 PC lights.
Old 11/22/2007, 02:56 PM
My reef is my fix :-D

I can't imagine a tank with those dimensions having a center brace. If it does, it was manufactured wrong.

I have 250W DE 14K Phoenix on Icecaps in PFO pendants on a 31" tall tank. Acros grow near the bottom. Purple haze monti grows *on* the BB! I use no supplemental lighting, and I really like the color.

What are you planning to keep in the tank?

Click my red house to see my tank :-)
Old 11/22/2007, 03:29 PM
Premium Member

I'm running a Current Outer Orbit, 36 inch over my tank, 150w metal halide with P/C supplementation, 10000k bulb with Dual actinics. My tank is predominantly LPS with some of the easier SPS and a clam or two. Everyone is doing very well, the SPS is growing and the LPS is doing fine too, being a coral that does not need as strong a light source as SPS. 250 watts is a lot of light over a 37gal. If your tank was going to be SPS dominant then yes it would work fine but remember LPS doesnt need as much light. I would say a 175 watt 14000k in a lumenarc reflector would kick ***! SPS at the top and LPS on the bottom. The lumenarc will help disperse the light all over the tank and eli,inate the need for extra lighting.
Old 11/22/2007, 04:12 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by SDguy
[B]I can't imagine a tank with those dimensions having a center brace. If it does, it was manufactured wrong.
yup I just e-mail the store and they said the All Glass 37G (30x12x22) comes with a center brace.

Quote:
What are you planning to keep in the tank?
Mostly LPS and some SPS and maybe a clam
Old 11/22/2007, 04:26 PM
Registered Member

I'm using one sunlight supply lumen maxIII pendant 250watt MH DE aquaconnect 14k for my sps 30gal and in the future 2 of them for my 120gal sps tank. check my gallery.
Old 11/22/2007, 04:29 PM
Premium Member

I have a sunpod and am very happy with it. However, you can do better on pricing and Drs. Foster and Smith can't be beat for support.

30" 250 Watt Sunpod
Old 11/22/2007, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Xiaan42
yup I just e-mail the store and they said the All Glass 37G (30x12x22) comes with a center brace.
D'oh! Well that stinks

Old 11/22/2007, 06:08 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ArgonDreams
I have a sunpod and am very happy with it. However, you can do better on pricing and Drs. Foster and Smith can't be beat for support.

30" 250 Watt Sunpod
I live in Canada and Drs. Foster and Smith do ship there but it would cost me around 100 extra ($40 customs fees and $60 shipping). so I am probably going with a Canadian supplier (Free shipping no fees).
Old 11/22/2007, 10:43 PM
Registered Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by SDguy
[B]I can't imagine a tank with those dimensions having a center brace. If it does, it was manufactured wrong.

So All Glass-- who manufactures hundreds of thousands of tanks doesn't know what they are doing?? OK

The AGA 37 is a tough size. The brace makes a MH difficult and T5 bulbs are only 24" long. Current makes several 30" T5 lights, but even with the Individual Reflectors everyone is always preaching about 96 watts on the 22" deep tank isn't great.
I think pendants look like he!! and a 36" light on a 30" tank is no better. If you are handy you could build a hood with as many staggered 24" bulbs you can squeeze in a 12" width.
Good luck.
R
Old 11/22/2007, 10:49 PM
Registered Member

http://www.catalinaaquarium.com/index.php?cPath=71_136

They use the same ballast and reflectors as tek lights
Old 11/22/2007, 10:56 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by rickh
[B]
Quote:
So All Glass-- who manufactures hundreds of thousands of tanks doesn't know what they are doing?? OK

Was thinking of a 30g. My bad. Already said so. Shall I impale myself on stake for you?

Last edited by SDguy; 11/22/2007 at 11:04 PM.
Old 11/23/2007, 09:13 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Ty1e
I'm using one sunlight supply lumen maxIII pendant 250watt MH DE aquaconnect 14k for my sps 30gal and in the future 2 of them for my 120gal sps tank. check my gallery.
I like you setup. how are you attaching the pendent to the wall? or is it hanging?

Quote:
The AGA 37 is a tough size. The brace makes a MH difficult and T5 bulbs are only 24" long. Current makes several 30" T5 lights, but even with the Individual Reflectors everyone is always preaching about 96 watts on the 22" deep tank isn't great.
I know what you mean. All the tanks I like have a center brace ! I do not want to get a big tank (40G is my limit) as space and price (cost of LR) is a concern. Also since this is in my living room I would like it to look nice (ether a nice finished canopy or something)

I am thinking about getting the pendant and then if I do not like it (shadow of the center brace is bad) get another light for the tank.