Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks

Old 06/02/2007, 11:27 PM
Premium Member

finally beginning my 480g 5'x5'x30" SPS Reef Tank

Total Volume: approximately 1030g

Tank details

Display Tank
Dimensions: 60"x60"x30"
Volume: approximately 480g
Glass: 1" Starphire Glass made by laminating 2 1/2" pieces together for all four sides
Description: This display will be seen from all four sides from 3 different rooms. I am going for a canyon rockwork with no traditional overflows. The main drains are two 2.5" versions of the ELOS drains I have seen on another reef central member's 300g ELOS custom tank (please excuse me but I do not remember the username or I would give you more credit). The two closed loop systems are supplied by two 1.5" drains located below the main drains on opposite sides of the tank. I will post some "sketch up" diagrams later to better illustrate my design.

Filtration
Main Sump: 180g glass tank (72"x24"x24")
Refugium: 210g glass tank (72"x24"x29")
Frag Tank: 40g glass breeder tank (36"x18"x16")
Water Change: 120g glass tank (48"x24"x24")
Quarantine: My current 120g Oceanic Tech tank (48"x24"x24")
Skimmer: Deltec AP1003 w/ self cleaning head
Calcium Reactor: Deltec PF1001
Fluidized Reactor 2x Deltec FR616

Pumps
Main Pump 1: Hammerhead
Main Pump 2: Hammerhead
Closed Loop 1: Dart
Closed Loop 2: Dart
Water Change Pump: Dart

Display Water Movement
4x 1" Wavy Seas for the main return
2x Tunze Streams with Multicontroller (might add 2 more if needed later)
Eight way Oceans Motions for Closed Loop 1
Two way Oceans Motions for Closed Loop 2

Lighting
Display: 4x 60" H4 Solaris LED Fixture
Frag: 24" H4 Solaris LED Fixture
Refugium: 2x 64" Compact Florescent

Stands
Display: 4"x4" Powder Coated Steel (excessive but I'm actually getting a deal on the materials)
Filtration Room: Still waiting for a qoute but my current plan is to go with 2"x 2" Powder Coated Steel stands

Stocking
-Its going to be a while but I plan on having 2 large schools of anthias alongside a variety of tangs and hopefully some rare angel fish that won't destroy my SPS corals to much.
-Planning on keeping mostly SPS corals with some soft corals and zoos on outlaying rocks (not attached to the main rock structure)
-Clams

Controller
I think I want to go with the ELOS biotopus but I have not made up my mind yet. I am rather frustrated with the range of options out there. Any help in this category would be great. I am mostly concerned about customer service from ELOS but I'm not sure if this will really be a problem.

I have been researching for this tank for a long time now. I have not seen any tanks that are 5' long and 5' wide some I can't wait to get it up and running. Thanks to reefcentral and the main great threads on large reef tanks to help me along my way. This site and the other members have inspired me to make the lead to a significantly larger tank.

I have already purchased just about everything but life stock, a good controller and the stands. I received my deltec and solaris equipment recently and will post pictures as soon as I can. As always, any advice would be greatly appreciate
Old 06/03/2007, 05:55 AM

Is this a rimless Elos tank? This will be an awesome setup.
Old 06/03/2007, 09:07 AM
Premium Member

Hi invincible569. I have been following your thread and its one of the reasons I decided to go with a larger tank, great looking setup. Your also the reason why I'm going to try and risk some rare angelfish in my tank.

I am actually not going with an ELOS tank due to the time it would take to build and ship it and that I will probably be containing the top in a hood anyways so there is not reason to go rimless. Secondly, the length and width of the tank make it hard to create a rimless tank because of the server water pressure (I want to make sure the glass will never bow).

The tank is being custom built in Miami right now and should be ready for deliver by August. Even though its not a ELOS tank I still think it should be pretty impressive. I'm a big fan of having maximum width and I figured I could not go wrong with a 5' wide and long tank.

The design I'm using from an ELOS tank is the square machined PVC drain that another member has on their custom ELOS tank. I'm hoping that this design will work best for me as I hate the look of overflows in tanks. My design does allow for the addition of two corner overflows if I am not happy with the ELOS design concept. Once I find the pictures from that member I will post them.

Thanks for your response and I would appreciate your continuing feedback.

Proud Registered ORCA Member
Old 06/03/2007, 10:46 PM
Premium Member

The drain idea I was talking about can be found on this thread about 3/4 of the way down the page.

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...5&pagenumber=2

Old 06/04/2007, 08:59 AM
In Too Deep

Are you putting the ELOS drain through the tank wall or will it be inside the overflow box like in the link you posted?

Did you ever considered an external overflow or was that out of the question because the tank is being viewed from 4 sides?

I'm setting up a slightly similar tank to yours. It will be 5' x 4' x 20". One side viewable as an "in-wall" display from my den, and two other sides viewable from the fish room. The overflow will be external on one side and pushed up against one of the walls in the fish room.
Old 06/04/2007, 11:26 AM
Keeper of Tangs

this is going to be an incredible tank!
Old 06/04/2007, 02:06 PM
Premium Member

Reefwaters -
I am going to have the box drain externally in a 6" gap I have left on two sides to allow for drains. I did consider an external overflow but Simply don't have more then 12 inches in total that I can, or want, to dedicate to an overflow. I am planning on massive water turn over so I don't see it being a problem.

Do you have a thread on your tank yet? I would like to see what your up to so I can compare our setups.

Thanks for the feedback.

thor32766-
I hope so. Thanks

Old 06/04/2007, 02:09 PM
They Found Nemo

cant wait your equipment choice is unbeliavable what skimmer are you getting though
Old 06/04/2007, 10:27 PM
Premium Member

I am going with a Deltec AP1003. I got it the other day and its is awesome. I'm upgrading from a 120g with a ASM G4, I'm very impressed by the quality of the Deltec products and their customer service.

I will be able to post equipment pictures Wednesday night, unfortunately I am traveling right now. All I want to do is get back and start work on my tank.

Thank you for your interest purebullet417

Old 06/07/2007, 09:16 AM
Registered Member

Tank looks like it is gona be great. Sorry to hear about our sandsiffter. Keep me updated on the tank and Ill see you in August when I get back to school and set up my new 55. Also if Matt doesn't buy your lights soon I will.
Old 06/07/2007, 12:56 PM
In Too Deep

Quote:
Originally posted by thirschmann
Do you have a thread on your tank yet? I would like to see what your up to so I can compare our setups.
I dont have a thread for the new tank yet, but I plan on starting one soon. The tank is ordered and the fish room is almost 95% ready to start building the stand, and setting up the support systems, lights, etc.

Here is a link to my existing tank thread. It hasnt been updated in ages though. 50 gallon cube
Old 06/08/2007, 08:12 AM
Premium Member

Old 06/08/2007, 08:14 AM
Premium Member

Sorry it took so long, enjoy the pictures.

equipment room setup 1... this was my first idea.

Old 06/08/2007, 08:16 AM
Premium Member

Now here is my second thought for the filtration room. I think I'm going in this direction. Any advice would be great.

Old 06/08/2007, 08:20 AM
Premium Member

Now for some equipment pictures.

All Deltec stuff still in their boxes.

Unpacked

Full shot of the AP1003 Skimmer, can't wait to fire it up. There is a soda can in the corner for size comparison.

Self Cleaning Head

Close Up

Calcium reactor with another can for size comparison

Fluidized Reactors

Old 06/08/2007, 10:33 AM
Registered Member

Looks great, cant wait to see it all set up and running. The skimmer is huge.
Old 06/08/2007, 10:39 AM
Premium Member

Thanks Henry, looking forward to getting it going. Ernie is coming to bring the support tanks soon and I'm getting the stands built next week. Might be able to start plumbing by next week.

Old 06/08/2007, 11:13 AM
Registered Member

Wow looking nice so it looks like all the plumbing is going through the walls and it will be viewable from all four sides very cool idea.
Old 06/08/2007, 11:45 AM
Registered Member

This looks like its going to be awesome! I'm subscribing to this one!
Old 06/08/2007, 01:33 PM
Registered Member

what program did you use for the drawings. looks good.
Old 06/08/2007, 02:50 PM

I think the first sump room design would make it less like working in a closet since you will have a more wide open field of view.
Old 06/08/2007, 04:59 PM
Registered Member

Wow Top notch eqiupment,this tank is very well thought out.Looking forward to the outcome.
Old 06/08/2007, 06:37 PM
Premium Member

adam82 - I'm using sketchup from Google.com. Its completely free and fairly easy to use.

jnarowe - Good point, thats been one of the reasons why its hard to decide on one setup. The reason why I am leaning towards the second option is that it keeps the pumps away from the door, obviously cutting down on noise. The second option would also put almost all the plumbing, ballvalves, and pumps in one area so that its all easily accesible. I'm still working on the idea, thanks for the input, please let me know if you have any other ideas.

Old 06/08/2007, 07:05 PM

Seems to be about the same footprint, but I am wondering about the water reservoir. I would not keep it outside just for algal reasons, but they do take up a lot of space. I am trying to get a 200g one into my tank room, and it won't be easy.

As far as noise goes, there's a lot you can do like isolate the pumps with rubber mounts, use flexible PVC, and a weatherized exterior door. I went even further and installed a second 2" deep wall around my tank room with the studs offset from the viewing room studs, so that the inside sheetrock is not mechanically attached to the outside sheetrock. I also foamed all switches, outlets etc. because they leak a lot of noise.

My tank room is quite noisy running a Hammerhead, an Alita 100, various other pumps, 1000W ballasts, etc. and you cannot hear it from the viewing room at all. This is an important subject so feel free to PM me for further discussion.
Old 06/08/2007, 08:37 PM
Premium Member

jnarowe - the footprint is the same but the orientation of the plumbing would be significantly different. The difference in sound is also important and I will definetely look into the options you have introduced to me. I was definetly planning on putting a rubber mat under the pumps to damped noise and vibrations allong with flex line.

Thank you for the extensive advice.