Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/03/2007, 12:36 PM
RC Sponsor

Location: Fringes of the REEF and cultural desert Arkansas, USA
Battleling the dreaded Hair algea right now I think that I am over feeding LOL time for a diet
Old 12/03/2007, 12:50 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ReefDoctorMicromussas
Battleling the dreaded Hair algea right now I think that I am over feeding LOL time for a diet
Me too! It feels like a losing battle and cyano decided to jump in and add to the frustration. Is your Hair Algae on the pond foam too?

I cleaned my skimmer on Saturday and I'm going to increase the amount of Phosar HC phosphate remover I use and see if that helps. My dirty skimmer may have been part of the issue.

Proud Member of CMAS & Rockford Reefers
Old 12/03/2007, 01:09 PM
RC Sponsor

The snails get most of it off the back walls MOST but its attacking my prized corals?? my phosphates read 0 I must be overfeeding
Old 12/03/2007, 01:23 PM
Premium Member

Thumbs up Hair algae

I've been watching this thread It mite help!

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...&goto=newpost;)
Old 12/03/2007, 01:34 PM
Registered Member

How old is your phosphate test kit.

(Red House for my 425 system)
Old 12/03/2007, 04:09 PM
RC Sponsor

Just got it ummmm 3 mo ago? I have used it twice
Old 12/27/2007, 11:33 AM
Registered Member

UPDATES?
Old 12/27/2007, 12:54 PM
RC Sponsor

Welll I found out that the Hair algea was being caused by my stupidity I was overdosing Microvert ... spent about 4 hrs yesterday manually removing the hair Looks much better today ... Had to send off my Sunlight supply dual 430wt ballast to the company as one of the ballasts stopped working... I will keep you updated as to how they handle this???

Chris
Old 01/01/2008, 02:43 PM
Registered Member

Hey chris what lights are you running and how high are they over your baby garden I mean your frag tank ?
Old 01/01/2008, 05:13 PM
Registered Member

how do the heniochus butterfly fish do in a reef? i want one in mine but live aquaria says no
Old 01/01/2008, 06:15 PM
RC Sponsor

On the Big Frag tank I run 2X 250watt 20K Radium MH with cool touch ballasts and 4X 110watt VHOs ... the tank is 13" deep and the lights are about 6" above that...

Over the Main Show tank I run 4X 400watt 20K MH Radiums over driven to 430watts on Sunlight Supplys Blue Wave Ballasts all with Lumenarc reflectors also for actinics 1X 160 watt VHO and 8X 54watt T5s

The Whimples (Henecious Butterflys) actually worked out so much better than I had tought that they would They do not allow me to keep any coco worms or Feather dusters but otherwise they do not bother anything HOWEVER my Copperband Butterfly ate about $600 worth of Hermits and Snails over the past 3 mo. He also picks at and harasses all of my stars... He is a true snail assasin I just love him so much though LOL so for now he stays...

Both butterfly species totally ignore my corals though and really that is all that I am worried about.

Hair algea problem is all better now, I have not yet reconnected my dosing pumps and everything seems to be doing well... The only one I really worry about is my big clam I can only imagine he is ****ed at me for stopping the microvert doser? he gets lots of light but right now no supplements... I dont think that he can process the clyclopeeze??? He is really big? Maybe he can eat the cyclopeeze? he still has feces and good bright colors...
Old 01/01/2008, 08:12 PM
Premium Member

Okay I want to see some updated pictures even if they're just shot at a different angle ; )
Old 01/01/2008, 09:52 PM
Registered Member

I can tell you from personally seeing his setup pictures do it no justice
Old 01/02/2008, 12:33 AM
RC Sponsor

Thanks Jerry I have added a bunch since you were last over Need to get cha back by...

I will work on some more pictures this week
Old 01/02/2008, 11:07 AM
Registered Member

He had a regular tour group going thru his house on Saturday. lol
Old 01/02/2008, 11:17 AM
RC Sponsor

LOL ya there were 13 of you all... I am thinking I should put Tile there in front of the tank rather than carpet? and perhaps I should record my Narration speech onto individuly numbered headsets so that you can just push a button to hear about a numbered coral during the tour... Oh Oh and a velvet rope

Nah just the tile
Old 01/02/2008, 11:24 AM
Registered Member

Yea charge a small admission fee and then get to take home a free micro!! ;-)
Old 01/02/2008, 11:50 AM
Registered Member

lol Yea I think a tile walkway from the door that wraps around to in front of the tank maybe a good idea. Personally I think I would just tile that whole room, just in case of a flood.
Old 01/02/2008, 01:35 PM
Registered Member

I think you may have said it else where, but do you have a final count on how much LR total you have in the display? I did the foam back on my new 110gal tank and I think I am going to love it.
Old 01/02/2008, 04:08 PM
Team RC Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ReefDoctorMicromussas
The only one I really worry about is my big clam I can only imagine he is ****ed at me for stopping the microvert doser? he gets lots of light but right now no supplements... I dont think that he can process the clyclopeeze??? He is really big? Maybe he can eat the cyclopeeze? he still has feces and good bright colors...
I wouldn't worry about the clam if I were you. I'm confident it gets all the nutrition it needs from the light supporting the symbiotic bacteria. There's also plenty of plankton-sized particulates generated from the fish poop and your regular feedings, so don't sweat it.
Old 01/04/2008, 12:59 AM
Registered Member

Did someone say tour...Count me in.. hhahahahahaha

(Red House for my 425 system)
Old 01/09/2008, 06:34 PM
RC Sponsor

hehe You guys make me laugh

Dudester good info I had hoped that.... but had read a long advertisment from DTPlankton about how clams had to have thier food or else

Brendan there was somewhere near 500 lbs when it started.. more has been added and some cut up but currently between the Fuge, sump and tank I would bet 500lbs would be close.

I promised more pics last week but have been so busy... Plus one of my ballasts died out so the lighting was all off.. Sunlight Supply repaired it free of charge

I had to Darken adjust some of these pics a bit because the flash really made everything too washed out

TANK LEFT

TANK CENTER

TANK RIGHT

One of my Elegance and sometimes host to my teardrops

My teardrops Hosting in my ORA Duncans

My Lawnmower Blennie Hosting in my clam LOL
Old 01/09/2008, 07:57 PM
Premium Member

Very nice. I was skeptical about the foam, but now I'm sold. Nice job.
Old 01/09/2008, 08:08 PM
RC Sponsor

Thank you Yes I was VERY sceptical also But am 100% satisfied... would do it again but use even more!
Old 01/11/2008, 08:11 PM
Registered Member

that is hilarious, as my blenny sits in my clam constantly, and if anything else even gets near it it slams shut! nice to see this happening in someone elses tank also