Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/23/2007, 04:57 PM
Registered Member

Ok, I have a question. I got a Current USA Extreme Pro 6x39 watt fixture. What kind of bulbs do the stock bulbs compare to? I definitely want to change some bulbs out, but not all of them if I dont have to. Thanks

Deven
Old 12/23/2007, 05:11 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Dvon0605
Ok, I have a question. I got a Current USA Extreme Pro 6x39 watt fixture. What kind of bulbs do the stock bulbs compare to? I definitely want to change some bulbs out, but not all of them if I dont have to. Thanks

Deven

i have the 36" 6x39w nova extreme pro fixture. the 460nm blue bulbs are actually not that bad. here you can find the PAR ratings for the 10000K and blue slimpaq bulbs.

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...&highlight=par

you can see that they arent horrible but noticably less output than bulbs from UVL, ATI, and Giesemann.

when i upgrade bulbs for my NEP (nova extreme pro) im going to replace all of them. probably something along the lines of:

2 - ATI blue +
1 - UVL super actinic
1 - GE 6500K
1 - ATI aquablue special
1 - UVL 75/25 or ATI ProColor

HTH
Old 12/23/2007, 05:13 PM
Registered Member

also, if you have pics of your fixture id like to see some with it over your tank. i have mine but i wont be finished with my 30g build for a few months at least. ive yet to see this new fixture in action. thanks.

-kyle
Old 12/23/2007, 05:29 PM
Be Afraid, Be Very Afraid

Quote:
Originally posted by Corndork2
Grim Im deciding between a 4x54w SLR retrofit, or 2x 175w 20000k MH to light my 55g. I want to keep Clams and lps. Heat is a serious issue. I dont wanna buy a chiller. The T5's are cheaper than the MH, but would they be enough to support the clams?
Get the SLR retro.

Front
Blue Plus
Aquablue
Blue Plus
Aquablue

Should look close to 20K halides, maybe a little whiter.
Old 12/23/2007, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Corndork2
Grim Im deciding between a 4x54w SLR retrofit, or 2x 175w 20000k MH to light my 55g. I want to keep Clams and lps. Heat is a serious issue. I dont wanna buy a chiller. The T5's are cheaper than the MH, but would they be enough to support the clams?
Get the SLR retro.

Front
Blue Plus
Aquablue
Blue Plus
Aquablue

Should look close to 20K halides, maybe a little whiter.
Old 12/23/2007, 05:48 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by siwelk
also, if you have pics of your fixture id like to see some with it over your tank. i have mine but i wont be finished with my 30g build for a few months at least. ive yet to see this new fixture in action. thanks.

-kyle
Thanks for that info. When I upgrade I think I'm gonna do

2 Blue +
2 Blue Special
2 Pro Color

I saw Fijiblue's tank and loved his configuration, So I think I'll copy him lol. Sorry I dont have pics of my tank. I still cant figure out how to post pics on this site. My tank is a 70 gallon Oceanic Tech tank. Hopefully I'll figure out how to post pics
Old 12/23/2007, 07:48 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Dvon0605
Thanks for that info. When I upgrade I think I'm gonna do

2 Blue +
2 Blue Special
2 Pro Color

I saw Fijiblue's tank and loved his configuration, So I think I'll copy him lol. Sorry I dont have pics of my tank. I still cant figure out how to post pics on this site. My tank is a 70 gallon Oceanic Tech tank. Hopefully I'll figure out how to post pics
i love the look of Fijiblue's tank too. i really want something similar to that as well. keep in mind though that the Pro Colors have less output, something to think about if youre trying to have high PAR.
Old 12/23/2007, 08:07 PM
Registered Member

What is the best way to clean SLRs? Mine are in need and I just wondered if there were any proven methods.

Thanks.
Old 12/23/2007, 08:29 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by siwelk
i love the look of Fijiblue's tank too. i really want something similar to that as well. keep in mind though that the Pro Colors have less output, something to think about if youre trying to have high PAR.
That's true. I'm trying to figure out what would be a good substitute for the pro colors
Old 12/23/2007, 08:56 PM
Premium Member

hey grimm spoke with you in another thread re: what bulbs to
run on my 375 tank is 72"x"48x"25 going with 14, 80w t5s
from front to back. "rows" of bulbs which bulbs and in what
order do you recommend? remeber 80 percent sps

thanks
Old 12/23/2007, 09:47 PM
Premium Member

T5's for 180 gal

Hi, appreciate the help.

Setting up 180 gal(6'x2'x2'): 60-70% sps and 30-40% lps.
Sps high and toward back.
Lps low and front. (acans and echinos-majority reds/pinks/oranges)

8x80 watts, SLR reflectors, ice cap ballasts.

Thanks and take care,
Guillermo
Old 12/23/2007, 11:21 PM
Registered Member

ok grimm-- fixture for fixture, the ATI 6- 54 watt or the solar flare 6- 54 watt, what one in your opinoin is worth the money? i like the idea of the led moonlights but is the increased cost worth it? are the IC ballasts in the solar flare going to be the selling point? thanks for your opinions.
Old 12/24/2007, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by mrpet
hey grimm spoke with you in another thread re: what bulbs to
run on my 375 tank is 72"x"48x"25 going with 14, 80w t5s
from front to back. "rows" of bulbs which bulbs and in what
order do you recommend? remeber 80 percent sps

thanks
Something like this.

Front
Blue Plus
Aquablue
Actinic
GE 6500K
Blue Plus
GE 3000K
Blue Plus
Aquablue
Actinic
GE 3000K
Blue Plus
GE 6500K
Aquablue
Blue Plus
Old 12/24/2007, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by iansfishy
ok grimm-- fixture for fixture, the ATI 6- 54 watt or the solar flare 6- 54 watt, what one in your opinoin is worth the money? i like the idea of the led moonlights but is the increased cost worth it? are the IC ballasts in the solar flare going to be the selling point? thanks for your opinions.
I would say about equal. I guess ot would come down to which style you liked better.
Old 12/24/2007, 11:08 AM
Registered Member

How Many Bulbs?

I'm currently running a 75 Gallon (48x12x26)and am going to upgrade to a 120 or 150, 48x24 or 30 x24.

I'm trying to figure between a tx5 5x54 or a nova extreme 8x54. I'm Tim Allenesqe in my "more power" mentality that more is better, but I was wondering what you thoguht Grim about the difference in the reflector styles Individual vs large in comparing these two fixtures.

I'm looking to purchase before year's end, so any help would ease my aching brain!
TIA,
Kelly
Old 12/24/2007, 11:46 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by The Grim Reefer
A couple of VHO Actinics would be good. Like JD said If those are Ice Cap ballasts you can run T5's on them. But I would use the 54 watt 4 foot lamps. You can use 4 per ballast and have a better selection of lamps than if you use the 80 watt lamps.
Quote:
Originally posted by jamesdawson
WarrenAmy&Maddy,

If your VHO ballasts are IceCap, I would strongly reccomend you use 60" T-5s on IC sLR reflectors. You can contact iC directly and buy pairs of 36" SLRs that you simply overlap for like 26$. The IC 660 will run 3 and a 430 will run 2. On an 18" wide, 26" deep tank, 4-6 T-5s would be perfect for SPS/mixed reef.

James

thanks James and Reefer!
for the recommendations... i am going to look into setting them up this way using my existing ballasts.

regards
Old 12/24/2007, 02:25 PM

Re: How Many Bulbs?

Quote:
Originally posted by PastorKDS
I'm currently running a 75 Gallon (48x12x26)and am going to upgrade to a 120 or 150, 48x24 or 30 x24.

I'm trying to figure between a tx5 5x54 or a nova extreme 8x54. I'm Tim Allenesqe in my "more power" mentality that more is better, but I was wondering what you thoguht Grim about the difference in the reflector styles Individual vs large in comparing these two fixtures.

I'm looking to purchase before year's end, so any help would ease my aching brain!
TIA,
Kelly
I'll make your brain ache a little more. Aquactinics Solar Flare. You get that 30 inch tall tank you need overdriven lamps. The Aquactinics Constellation or a ATI 8 lamp Powermodule would be the next options. In fact I would probably rate the ATI equal to the Solar Flare.
Old 12/24/2007, 04:08 PM
Premium Member

Hi Grim,

I have a TEK T5 fixture and I was wondering if I could switch the ballast to an Icecap 660 and overdrive the lamps? Would it benefit me on a 40g 20" high tank?

I want to have a mix of zoes, LPS and SPS, clams ect

Thanks
Mike

Last edited by mlehman; 12/24/2007 at 05:05 PM.
Old 12/24/2007, 04:16 PM
Premium Member

Hi Grimm,

75G tank Current configuration front to rear:

UVI VHO super actinic
blue+
aquasun
aquablue
ge 6500K daylight
URI VHO superactinic

I'm looking for a combo that would be a bit more crisp and a tad less blue. Suggestions?

TIA
Old 12/24/2007, 06:26 PM
Premium Member

THANKS GRIMM....
Old 12/24/2007, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mlehman
Hi Grim,

I have a TEK T5 fixture and I was wondering if I could switch the ballast to an Icecap 660 and overdrive the lamps? Would it benefit me on a 40g 20" high tank?

I want to have a mix of zoes, LPS and SPS, clams ect

Thanks
Mike
On a 20" high I wouldn't fool with overdriving it. Grab one of those Azoo fan arrays the doctors sell and set it on the back of the tank blowing across the fixture if possible. The cooling will give you a boost in output. With that your SPS should be fine in the upper part of the tank.
Old 12/24/2007, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Craig Lambert
Hi Grimm,

75G tank Current configuration front to rear:

UVI VHO super actinic
blue+
aquasun
aquablue
ge 6500K daylight
URI VHO superactinic

I'm looking for a combo that would be a bit more crisp and a tad less blue. Suggestions?

TIA

Instead of changing lamps try changing lamp positions

UVI VHO super actinic
aquablue
aquasun
blue+
ge 6500K daylight
URI VHO superactinic

If that doesn't work try changing the Aquablue out for another GE or Aquasun.
Old 12/24/2007, 07:19 PM
Registered Member

Here is my 75 gallon with the Solar Flare 48" fixture..
ATM I am running the following bulb combo.

Aqua Science Blue
ATI Pro-color
ATI Blue Plus
Aquaz Blue Pro (2)
Giesesmann Actinic Plus

Some pictures I took were a few months back and since then have redone my coral placement.I had to since stuff was growing into each other.
I was running an 8 bulb Tek and switched to the Solar Flare 6 bulb fixture,even with external fans the tank stayed at 81 Degrees,but now with the Solar Flare it stays at 78 dgrees,I think thats quite an improvement in temperature...

Donny
OMAS
Old 12/24/2007, 07:25 PM

Nice tank Donny
Old 12/25/2007, 02:10 AM
Premium Member

Which T5 bulbs?

Hi,

Setting up 180 gal(6'x2'x2'): 60-70% sps and 30-40% lps.
Sps high and toward back.
Lps low and front. (acans and echinos-majority reds/pinks/oranges)

8x80 watts, SLR reflectors, ice cap ballasts.

Which T5 bulbs and in what order?

Thanks for your help.