Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > West Region-Reef Club Forums > Southern California Reefers
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/11/2007, 10:40 PM
Registered Member

Clear netting installed! no more jumping fish!!

got this yesterday and couldn't wait to install it. went to home depot and bought a window screen frame kit and set it up. i put some weather stripping on the bottom so it wouldn't scratch the tank or move around.

what do you guys think? not exactly the nicest looking but extremely functional and does not block the light at all. the squares are so small a pen won't even go in.

A big thanks again to Ken for setting up the group buy on this stuff.

Old 12/11/2007, 10:59 PM
Registered Member

looks good, makes me think about doing it myself
Old 12/11/2007, 11:03 PM
Premium Member

where can you buy that stuff? thanks
Old 12/11/2007, 11:25 PM
Registered Member

not sure where ken got it, it's from some website and is sold in bulk so it's exspensive. that's why i jumped on the group buy a few weeks ago.
Old 12/11/2007, 11:25 PM
Registered Member

Very nice set up! Not too bad to look at actually ..
Old 12/11/2007, 11:57 PM
Registered Member

Really nice idea!
One thing to think about. The window screen kit you used has the same types of corner pieces of the screens I had to replace on my entire house. Some screens systems use metal L-brackets to connect the corners, others use the plastic that you used. I know plastic is better for our tanks, but the lights and heat will start causing them to become very brittle and break. So you might want to pick up extras of the corner pieces for when you need to change them out. Less and less places carry the plastic corners, so they can become hard to find other than as part of a entire screen kit. Again, smart idea and good implemantation.
Old 12/12/2007, 12:17 AM
Registered Member

thanks guys.

ens, good to know. didn't really think about that. i'm glad home depot is a stones throw away and they had a ton of plastic corners.
Old 12/12/2007, 01:45 AM
Registered Member

i didnt know u need to worry about jumping with euro brace..
Old 12/12/2007, 01:51 AM
Registered Member

if they can fit, there's a chance they can jump. the whole middle of the tank is open so there is plenty of room. i fished my solar out of the overflow 3 weeks ago. won't happen with this stuff.

i had a jawfish jump out of my nano at work when i popped the feeding door open during the weekend. i placed an auto feeder on the tank so he litterally had about a 1.5 inch gap. sure enough, found him on my desk monday morning all crustified.
Old 12/12/2007, 02:26 AM
Registered Member

how much did everything cost you?
Old 12/12/2007, 02:50 AM
Registered Member

I just made one also for my tank but still need "uno mas" to finish up the tank since i have 2 openings on my 180. I was going to do just one large one but ended up not having enough netting so i'll just settle with 2 smaller ones. It was super easy to make i can't believe it. Props to those who thought of the idea! =)
Old 12/12/2007, 01:42 PM
Super Deluxe Member v2.0

Looks really good CJ!

Quote:
Originally posted by mrpet
where can you buy that stuff? thanks
Shoot me an email, I have some extra since a few people backed out on the group buy.
Old 12/12/2007, 07:10 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ENS
Really nice idea!
One thing to think about. The window screen kit you used has the same types of corner pieces of the screens I had to replace on my entire house. Some screens systems use metal L-brackets to connect the corners, others use the plastic that you used. I know plastic is better for our tanks, but the lights and heat will start causing them to become very brittle and break. So you might want to pick up extras of the corner pieces for when you need to change them out. Less and less places carry the plastic corners, so they can become hard to find other than as part of a entire screen kit. Again, smart idea and good implemantation.
Home Depot only sells kits with the plastic corners and they sell bags of extra plastic corners as well.

My screen is almost ready as well. Just need a couple more little modifications.

Thanks Ken for ordering the netting.
Old 12/13/2007, 01:42 AM
Super Deluxe Member v2.0

Glad everyone has been happy with it so far. I've been so busy cutting pieces and handing it out that I haven't even had the chance to build my own frame. Mine is going to take a little more creativity since I have a bow front tank.
Old 12/16/2007, 03:03 PM
Premium Member

I got some of the "extra" netting from Ken on Friday. Thanks a million Ken. Funny how we work only a few miles from each other. Can anyone post a link to buy the frame kit? This will be my project while I am off work for a few days.

Thank you,
Brock
Mag 1300
Nitrate .8 (Hanna Test)
PO4 .01