Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05/07/2007, 11:56 PM
Registered Member

over flow

well it satred with people teling me it wont work
i took a hob and drilled it on one side ran the pipe to my 30 gal sump and them used a rio 1000 as the return so far it has been running for one week with no problems the hob was motified so that it can not over flow the sump with a few holes so it slops gettin suction if the water level is to low the return also in its own area of the sump has been boxed off so that it can not over flow the tank and in the event it stops there can be no over flow in the sump from suction
sorry to be long winded but yes this can be done and so far so good im not sure on the rate its going at but it allows me to hide all of my equipment like skimmer heater macro and others
Old 05/08/2007, 01:15 AM
WildThing....You Moved Me

Period!! (huff-puff-weez) jk

Now aren't you proud that you were able to prove to those people that they were wrong?
Old 05/08/2007, 04:54 PM
Registered Member

o for sure cheap and easy nothing to it
Old 05/08/2007, 05:22 PM
www.kandnsales.net

will it restart on its own?
Old 05/10/2007, 11:54 PM
Registered Member

yes the hob has holes drilled into the intake so that if the tank gets to low it starts sucking in air and the pump wont suck water once the water level returns to normal it gts suction again and begings pumping again
Old 05/11/2007, 07:51 AM
Registered Member

hmmm so do u guys use gravity to pull water from the display tank? and then 1 pump putting it back from the sump to the display tank?so u drill maybe 4 holes as the over flow level, put pipes leading down to the sump, the pump will not over flow these holes because it is constantly draining. does anyone use this method or just buy 2 identical pump?
Old 05/14/2007, 12:06 AM
Registered Member

AusWog
well this is for a modified hob (hang on back filter) that i turned into an overflow and no i dont use gravity the hob has a pump of its own that keeps it full of water but in a way i do use gravity i guess there is no pump pushing it to the sump
Old 05/14/2007, 01:41 AM
Registered Member

Most HOB filters I have ever had have failed to restart at leat 10% of the time. All it takes is one time to flood your tank and burn out your return pump if it decides to be stubborn. I think what people meant is that they dont recommend it, but anything can be done if you are willing to accept the eventual failure of the device, because it will happen someday. I'd be willing to put money on it.
Old 05/14/2007, 11:10 AM
Registered Member

yes you are very right what it all amounts to I was board and needed somthing to do as for the flooding in my case it cant happen do to the way i have it set up i have tried and so far no way possible to flood yes it cuold burn out the return but this is all just temp until I move this summer and get my 220 them my 75 will be the sump and it will all be done properly
Old 05/14/2007, 11:27 AM
Registered Member

I would really like to see some pics or a drawing of what you have. It sounds very interesting.