Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02/05/2002, 04:58 AM
Moved On

A pix of my always-pregnant Coral banded Shrimp. They and my cleaner shrimps are responsible for regularly releasing lots of tiny shrimp as natural coral food and fish food!
Old 02/05/2002, 05:06 AM
Moved On

A shot of my Filament-Finned Prawn Goby... Oh... that's a limpet near him.
Old 02/05/2002, 05:24 AM
Moved On

Here's a couple of my mystery fishes they are about 2 inches long. Active day and night. They have 2 horizontal NEON YELLOW stripes which are striking at night when the actinics are on. They have very small mouths so they are harmless to my shrimps. They love brine shrimp though.

Can someone help me to ID them?
Old 02/05/2002, 05:30 AM
Moved On

Here's another shot... of my yellow tang. Note my flourescent green moon coral, he's a beauty!
Old 02/05/2002, 08:57 AM
Registered Member

How many fish do you have in that tank???!!!!
Old 02/05/2002, 09:06 AM
Vermicious Knid

"You should see them when I feed nori... it's like rugby!"

Hahaha! Would that be the Red Sea Purples and their infamous "seaweed ruck"? I have a side of green chromis that do the same thing... two of them died, so they can't play "Sevens" anymore!
Old 02/05/2002, 10:26 AM
Registered Member

WOW!!
Awesome tank!!!
I love your tangs, I also noticed you have some tubastrea (sp?), love those too!
Thanks for sharing......
Old 02/05/2002, 11:24 AM
Moved On

About those mysterious fish

My vote goes for one of the spine cheeks (sea breams)
Pentapodus sp.
Family: Nemipteridae
Good sand stirrers but they get kinda big 8" tops though. Keep em well fed or they'll eat all your ornamental shrimp. That mouth wont stay small for long....
Peace,
Paul
Old 02/05/2002, 11:47 AM
Moved On

Here's my stock list for livestock:

3 firefish, magnifica
2 Double Whiptail Bream aka the mystery fishes
5 fusiliers
1 purple dottyback
3 purple tangs
1 yellow tang
1 flame angel
1 6-line wrasse
1 banded blenny
1 humbug damsel
2 Filament-Finned Prawn Goby
1 pink skunk anemone fish
1 maroon clown
1 goldsaddle goatfish
1 pink anthia
2 cleaner shrimp
1 fire shrimp
2 coral banded shrimp
1 tiny pink sea cucumber
1 greyish green brittlestar
at least 15 snails of various size and species
1 gold-ring cowry
3 big tubeworms
at least 8 small tubeworms
2 large blue hermits
and many christmas tree worms in a porite rock....

NOT counting, lots of copepods, some bristleworms and rock crabs...

I know it sounds like a lot like overstocking but I have been able to maintain low levels of phospate and undetectable NO2/NO3 because I think is due to my abundant live rock and DSB in my main tank and in my sump coping well with the NO3 produced by my wet/dry filter (which copes well with NO2). Of course, with my Euroreef skimmer and use of Polyfilters, it helps too.

To those who argue that the fish will get stressed, I say not. I have not seen any bickering or harassing done at all to remotely stress sensitive fish like the firefishes in my tank. Besides, most of my fish except the tangs are small... averaging 2 inches in length.

Last edited by crap; 02/05/2002 at 11:34 PM.
Old 02/05/2002, 12:02 PM
Moved On

Re: About those mysterious fish

Quote:
Originally posted by Liberanos
My vote goes for one of the spine cheeks (sea breams)
Penatpodus sp.
Family: Nemipteridae
Good sand stirrers but they get kinda big 8" tops though. Keep em well fed or they'll eat all your ornamental shrimp. That mouth wont stay small for long....
Peace,
Paul
Thanks Liberanos!

I just found out that its a Pentapodus emeryii, the Double Whiptail Bream:

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/Breams.htm

Will take them out when they get THAT big... but they are so small now my cleaners shrimps are bigger than they are! LOL! As it is.. only brineshrimp can fit into their mouths now.

They're really cool to watch.
Old 02/05/2002, 12:32 PM
The Original 6-line

Wow,

that's quite a picture show.
Just read that those Fusiliers can grow up to 12 inches and that they are in the snapper family. Must be hogs as well.
I'm glad your system works for you and it looks splendid...now.
It just seems you have a lot of fish, and a good many have the potential to grow huge...perhaps you have taken this into consideration and have your next upgrade tank in mind. What type of skimmer are you running; I'd have to imagine it'd be a huge one to keep up with those waste producers and still keep the tank nitrate free enough to support those spineless occupants...
Anyhow, I love that Cynarina/Scolymia and is that Favia type coral, the round one, a caulastrea? It's massive, mine is perhaps half that size and growing.

Good Luck

If you're not obsessed, you're not doing it right...
Old 02/05/2002, 12:56 PM
Moved On

To the Original Six-line!

Yeah I have an excellent Euroreef protein skimmer... it does take out a lot of gunk....

As for the fishes with potential to grow... it will be many years before they can achieve those sizes. I do feed very sparingly. I think from the pix with the Yellow Tang, you can see his stomach looks flat! Don't worry... he gets his nori once a day as well as Selcon/Garlic enriched brine shrimp.

Yup that a favia but I still can't ID it properly. The caulastrea is not that big....

As for plans to upgrade.. well.. you gotta check out this thread on my preparations for the next project: http://archive.reefcentral.com/vbull...hreadid=57106.

My new tank will be 5.5ft L x 2ft W x 2.5ft H, giving it a lot of space compared to my current tank. The reason why I am showing off my tank now is because it will be soon be dismantled and its occupants transferred to its new home in 3 months time.

My new tank will also have a seperate refugium and be upgraded to Metal Halides.

Boy oh boy! Am I looking forward to my new beauty... I'm looking at a Starphire glass tank (front glass) so I can see my clams in its real full colour!

Last edited by crap; 02/06/2002 at 03:03 AM.
Old 02/05/2002, 02:26 PM
Registered Member

Talking

My kudos go out to a job well done. That is probabally the nicest looking set up I have ever seen! Congrats
Old 02/05/2002, 09:39 PM
Moved On

Apologies.. the pix for the front right of my tank accidentally erased is now here:
Old 02/05/2002, 09:45 PM
Moved On

A zoom-in on my gold-ring cowry, less than 1 inch long. A supposedly great algae-eater.
Old 02/05/2002, 09:59 PM
Buttfish Pioneer

How gorgeous!! It is pictures like these ones that have me in this hobby. Thanks for sharing!!
What kind of anemone do you have, btw??
Angela.
Old 02/05/2002, 10:24 PM
Moved On

Here's the left side of my tank. The left corner where the overflow chamber is dimmer than the rest of the tank as the lights are 5 ft long.... and can't reach that corner (better too as there is already lots of green algae on the inner walls of the overflow).
Old 02/05/2002, 10:55 PM
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by Newreeflady
How gorgeous!! It is pictures like these ones that have me in this hobby. Thanks for sharing!!
What kind of anemone do you have, btw??
Angela.
Uhmm.. I think I have a large and small common bubble-tip anemones (seen bottom and top of the front left side of my tank).
Homes for my pink skunk and maroon clownfish.

I used to have a bright flourescent green Haddoni anemone. It was extremely sticky and it was a deathtrap for my fishes. Would you believe it ate more than 3 tangs at least 6 inches long? I got rid of it inspite of its beauty as I couldn't take my fish deaths no more. It grew more than 3 times it's size in 6 months.

Let me go home and search for photos of it.
Old 02/06/2002, 12:14 AM
Moved On

Very nice pictures.
Where is your powder blue tang?
Are you concerned that your yellow tangs are pinched?
Old 02/06/2002, 01:48 AM
Moved On

I do not have a powder blue anymore. He got eaten by my green Haddoni anemone a long time ago.

My four tangs do not allow any more tangs to added.

I am not concerned about the pinched stomach of my yellow tang. He bloats right back after a feeding of nori.

Old 02/06/2002, 02:02 AM
Moved On

I do not think so. We all know that when a thinned tang is purchased from a LFS, if the tang survives, it takes a very long time of careful care and feeding to get it plump and healthy.
You mentioned that you feed only little as you are concerned that your water will foul with your livestock overload.
I believe that you are seriously underfeeding these fish.
Will you ensure that they are adequately fed in your new and larger tank?
Old 02/06/2002, 03:00 AM
Moved On

LOL! Are you part of the Tang Police? My Yellie has been with me for more than a year!

Perhaps I should show you a pix of my bloated pigs aka tangs... I feed my tangs well... but I feed sparingly. There's a difference between feeding lots of poor quality foods and feeding high quality food sparingly.

My tangs get Nori soaked in Selcon and Garlic Extract per feeding enough to bloat their tum tums.

They and the rest of my varied small fishies also get mysis shrimp soaked in Selcon, Garlic Extract, Spirulina, a vitamins & minerals liquid supplement as well as dry pellets.

For occasional treats, they get frozen lobster eggs, squid bits, chopped prawns, silversides, marine algae, mussels....

From my experience, marine fish can go without food for 3 days.... they just pick on the liverock and algae in the tank.

But to assure you, they get a good meal once a day. Sometimes twice, sometimes thrice but in smaller amounts.

I take very good care of my fishies, I assure you, Mr. Officer, enough to have occasional cyano outbreaks....!

Old 02/06/2002, 03:40 AM

I feed my fish once every week. If you have high quality live rock, with a lot of life, a nice full sand bed, then your fish will be fine.

Once every 3 days is probably optimal if you meet the above requirements.

Crapster spoke the truth, it's the Quality of the food.
Old 02/06/2002, 03:57 AM
Moved On

Hi Project Reef,

Once a week? Whoa! Wait till the Tang Police hear about this.... it's BRUTALITY! LOL!

Once a week is kinda cutting it, no? I wouldn't want my copepods, shrimp and corals to be picked on during the rest of the week. I do have a flame angel and he needs to be fed or he'll peck alot.

Do you keep corals btw?
Old 02/06/2002, 09:16 AM
The Original 6-line

Bad Boys, bad Boys , whatcha gonna do...whatcha gonna do when they come for you....bad boys

Crap, what are the reefs like around the tip of malaysia? I was in Singapora for a few weeks when I was in the US Navy, but I didn't have a clue about reefs then (back in the 80's) and i was more interested in hitting the night clubs there.

Just bcurious about what I was missing.

I don't even want to hear about the Phillipine, spent a lot of time there, and mostly intoxicated....

If you're not obsessed, you're not doing it right...