Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/28/2007, 12:22 PM
Registered Member

Found possible tank- how do I transport?

Just when I decided to go with a 125g or larger- I found a completely set up 90g reef- It comes with EVERYTHING- Mh'S+ T5's Sump/Fuge, custom cherry stand and canopy, livestock- etc etc for $800 ( It is such an awesome deal, can I pass it up?)

I live 5 hours from where it is- Is it possible to get everything home and the livestock and corals be ok? My gut tells me it would stress everything out too much.

The tank is absolutely gorgeous and looks extremely healthy, I wouldnt want anything to happen to all inhabitants.

If you think everything would still be able to thrive- how do i do it?

Thanks once again!
Old 12/28/2007, 12:26 PM
Registered Member

Pack it all into large rubbermaid containers. It's cold there so you should provide a method to keep the heat up as much as possible. I have done a couple of tank moves and things get upset, but they rarely die.
Old 12/28/2007, 12:31 PM
Registered Member

It is possible if you plan it right. Keeping everything warm is the biggest issue. I would use a bunch of plastic tubs for corals and fish, and some brute trashcans for the water and rock.
What are you going to pick it up in?
Old 12/28/2007, 12:38 PM
Registered Member

We have a pick up with a quad cab- so I could fit the rubbermaids with all fish and corals inside the truck- and everything else in the bed.

Will the water temp hold for 5 hours? How do I keep it up? Floating hot water bottles??
Old 12/28/2007, 12:55 PM
Premium Member

maybe a power inverter and run a your standard tank heater
Old 12/28/2007, 01:09 PM
Registered Member

Coolers...or at least that is what I used to move my stuff. It was 1.5 hours from one place to the next and getting everything inside.
Water temps went from 80 to 79 in that time and I had them in the back of my truck with temps in the teens...
Old 12/28/2007, 09:01 PM
Registered Member

Location: Recently moved from Florida Panhandle to Bham AL. Still trying to figure out why?
With the temp concern I would go with thick coolers. Ive moved two tanks twice. Last move was 4 hour drive. I used rubbermade trash cans and 5 gal buckets. I left fish and sand bed in tanks and about 1\4 water. I didn't have any temp concerns though. I never lost anything in a move though.

I'm not bad...I'm just drawn that way!
Old 12/28/2007, 10:04 PM
Reefer

As mentioned, you can use a heater with an inverter and transport the fish and corals in those storage containers such as they sell at Walmart for $8. Make sure the heater is not up against the side of the rubber container or where the fish can get burned. Also, add battery operated air pumps, as lack of oxygen will kill fish.

Or you could professionally double bag the fish (add oxygen) and corals as they do at the fish store. You can transport them with heat packs in styro boxes the same as they do when they are shipped to you if you order livestock online.

It is possible and if the set-up is that nice, I'd go for it. Just plan it out really well and allow for double the time that you think it will take.

Joyce
Old 12/28/2007, 10:10 PM
Premium Member

do you have a picture of this tank?
Old 12/28/2007, 11:25 PM
Registered Member

Go to your local wal mart store in the sporting good section they should have packs of hand warmers called "HOT HANDS" that we hunters use to keep our hands warm. Open it up and wrap it in a dish towel, cover the wrapped heat pack with another towel on the bottom of your transport container and use one pack per 3 gallons of water volume in your cooler. That will save you money on a power converter unless you will be using it for other things. But then if you will be transporting things in the cab and your heater in the truck works you should be good to go. Sounds like you got a steel. Gotta see some pix of this one!
Old 12/28/2007, 11:26 PM
Registered Member

Steal sorry.
Old 12/28/2007, 11:35 PM
CTARS Member

I would use a power inverter to run heaters and some small powerheads. I am sure members in your local club have everything you need.

Have a few of the members at your house ready when you get home to help you unload it and get it set up right away.
Old 12/29/2007, 05:39 AM
Obsessed

yeah i second or third the power inverter + 6 way extention cord + heaters and a power head for each tank. or get some of those power heads that are known to "cook tanks" because they over heat so much..
.but probably just heaters and the movement from the truck will keep enough flow for hours.. actully i take that back. people over night stuff in bags so im sure that it sitting in a big bin will be fine.

i remember reading a thread once that suggested transporting stuff as your LFS would. in coolers and individual bags. probably the best idea for the fish . corals and rock probably just one big bin.
Old 12/29/2007, 10:39 AM
Reefer

Remember that if you disturb the sand bed in the tank and reset it up, that you will not be able to put the livestock back in because the tank will most likely cycle from all the bad stuff stirred up from the old sand bed.

Either use new sand seeded with a few cups of old sand or allow enough time (days, weeks?) for the old sand to recycle. This can be hastened by many large water changes.

Good Luck!
Joyce
Old 12/29/2007, 04:40 PM
Registered Member

I saw a good idea in a thread recently. Fill gallon milk jugs with hot water and float them to keep the temp up.
Old 12/29/2007, 05:06 PM
Registered Member

Since you indicate your transport time is approximately 5-6 hours, I'd suggest using several ice chests (buy a number of inexpensive Styrofoam ice chests if needed). Use these to transport rock, corals, fish, etc and store them in the passenger area of your vehicle. Your temperature change should be minimal in 5-6 hours as long as you keep the air temperature in the 70's. Move as much water as you can in these containers as well as in 5-gal buckets. I've moved several 75 gal setups an equal distance and this method works quite well.
Old 12/29/2007, 09:13 PM
Registered Member

Good luck post pics of it when u can sounds like a steal of a deal.
Old 12/30/2007, 08:52 AM
Registered Member

Thanks everyone for all your great advise, I am still on the fence about this system, I redid the mapquest and its only 3 hours away not 5. I tried to post the pics the guy had and tried to paste them here but it didn't work, I have no idea how to post the pics- I wanted to see what you guys thought of the system-
Old 12/30/2007, 09:30 AM
Registered Member

Old 12/30/2007, 09:30 AM
Registered Member

Location: Recently moved from Florida Panhandle to Bham AL. Still trying to figure out why?
Dude, I am completely computer illiterate and was told about photobucket.com and I used it and figured out. Try it! Want to see this steal!!!!!

Old 12/30/2007, 09:34 AM
Registered Member

Old 12/30/2007, 09:34 AM
Registered Member

Ok, as I was typing apparently you were posting. Looks established. Whats the system?

Old 12/30/2007, 09:35 AM
Registered Member

Old 12/30/2007, 09:36 AM
Registered Member

Old 12/30/2007, 09:37 AM
Registered Member