Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Anemones & Clownfish
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/13/2006, 09:01 PM
Registered Member

Anemone for a maroon?

Hi, I am lookng to get an anemone for my maroon clown, which type should I get(I mean, which kind of anemone does maroon clown host, do you have personal experiences?) Thx!
Old 11/13/2006, 09:03 PM
Registered Member

bubble tip. its theyre natural hosts in the ocean, and it'll host fast

-Had to find some higher ground, had some fear to get around-
Old 11/13/2006, 09:10 PM
clownfish fan

mine love the bubbletips i had them in a long tentacle they seem to enjoy the bubbletip more
Old 11/13/2006, 10:16 PM
Registered Member

Mine host in bubble tip and a sebae
Old 11/13/2006, 10:38 PM
Registered Member

As said, they only host bubble tips in nature, however, mine has taken good care of his sebae for near 4 years now.
Old 11/14/2006, 12:21 AM
Registered Member

Is it true if you have an anemone in your tank you can't have any other corals? That would mean, that your tanks are pretty much just rocks and fish? What else do you have, truthfully, that survives with the anemone?
Old 11/14/2006, 01:01 AM
Waste Management

I have a pair of maroons in a fully stocked reef tank for over 3 years.
Old 11/14/2006, 01:42 AM
Registered Member

I'll bet you that your LFS told you that you can't keep an anemone with corals so that you would lots of corals from them and make them lots of money.
Yes, you do need to be careful when keeping nems and corals in the same tanks, and there are a lot of corals that should not be kept with nems depending on the size of your tank.

You haven't given any specifics here, but you seem to be typically newbie.
Is your tank ready for an anemone?
Has it been stable for 6 months since cycling?
What kind of lighting do you have?
Have you researched what types of anemones work with your lighting set up if your lighting is even adequate? It's a total waste of time for anyone here to make you a reccomendation on types of nem when we don't even know if your tank will handle it.
Do you have the room in the tank to handle an anemone? Your maroon will grow quickly and will get to be some 6 or so inches long, which means that a full grown maroon will need an anemone that is at least 12 inches or preferably more across. Your maroon does not need an anemone to be happy and survive and will host lots of other things. From what I've read Maroons are amongst the least discriminating clownfish about what they host.
Old 11/14/2006, 03:34 AM
Registered Member

Well I have had both my tanks for a year, but I am planning this anemone for a 10 gal tank, and I was recommended to buy a T5 light for it. My maroon hasnt been growing very much if at all during all this time. It's very small, around 2 inches. I am hoping for it to decide to be a "woman clownfish" and finally grow up but my little guy refuses. I enjoy having one small tank. Its easier to keep it, to maintain the same salinity there, its easier to see all its inhabitants, its much easier to feed. The big tank has its big advantages too of course.
Old 11/14/2006, 11:17 PM
Registered Member

In my opinion, 10 gallons is not large enough for an anemone. Additionally, the smaller the tank the less of a good idea it is to keep corals and anemones together. BTA's can get to be 10 or more inches across. Your clown can survive without an anemone just fine.
Your clown does not get to decide if it is going to be a female or a male, biology decides it. Sex is determined by grouping, the largest fish is the female, the next largest is the mature and sexually active male and any smaller fish are males or juveniles. When the female dies or is removed from the tank, the largest male will become a female and take her place and the hierarchy shifts up. Fish kept alone are all female.
Old 11/15/2006, 01:20 PM
Registered Member

Well if the anemone does outgrow the 10 gal I can always move it to my bigger tank. Thanks for all the info on the clowns, my clown, which has been kept single, is just small and hasn't grown , but I was hoping that maybe with time it will decide to grow up a little. Maybe I have to supply it with fish anabolics from now on.
Old 11/15/2006, 01:26 PM
Registered Member

EDIT: instead of decide to grow a little, I should have said just grow a little, naturally, I realize that the fish doesn't actually decide that. But in a year, I was expecting to see some growth, sarahkucera.
Old 11/16/2006, 07:10 PM
Registered Member

I think it was said that a 10 gallon is to small for other reasons then the anenome being to big.

Like water evaporation in a 10 gallon tank with a light strong enough to keep an anenome could be a major problem.
Old 11/17/2006, 03:02 AM
Registered Member

I think everyone will agree that evaporation and strong lights are fixable "problems". I just got power compacts, and I deal with evaporation every day by topping off with RO water.
Old 11/17/2006, 12:28 PM
Registered Member

I've had a long tentacle anemone in my tank with a torch coral, a frogspawn, and countless zooanthids, no problems to speak of.
Old 11/17/2006, 11:21 PM
Registered Member

I have two BTA's and two maroons. They take turns switching nems, sometimes they will share one of the nems.

Had one BTA that split, then bought the two clowns, they took to the nems within an hour or so and everyone is getting along fine.

[Originally posted by nrike
"that has to be one of the ugliest tanks i seen in my life. but nice effort"]