Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Anemones & Clownfish
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/12/2006, 12:22 PM
Registered Member

Suggest Tank size for a Carpet Anemone?

Hey
what size tank (if any specific size) is recomended for a carpet anemone?
Old 01/12/2006, 12:32 PM
Purveyor of Misguidance

What species? One of the carpets is among the largest of all sea anemones. Say for a haddoni (or "saddle" carpet), I suggest at least a 36"--but it will fill the entire tank.
Old 01/12/2006, 02:35 PM
Hopelessly undecided

I second that. S. haddoni and S. mertensii will get very large, the latter being the largest of any hosting anemones in terms of diameter (apparently 36" or beyond).

Really it comes down to how long you'd like to keep it. If the answer is "forever" then you'll need a very large tank. If you're comfortable with giving the anemone a bigger home as it becomes needed, then you can likely get away with a smaller tank for a smaller specimen, but you just have to keep in mind that it's temporary.

Also remember that each species has different requirements for substrate and preferred flow conditions and particularly flow conditions may become harder to replicate in smaller tanks.
Old 01/13/2006, 05:07 PM
Registered Member

a tank completely covered by an anemone would be awesome
Old 01/13/2006, 08:02 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by travisurfer
a tank completely covered by an anemone would be awesome
They can be awesome, but can also be a little boring. I have a 40 gal tank (36" long) with a 20" H. crispa right in the middle of it. When the anemone was small it was a beautiful, diverse tank. Now it just has a giant anemone. It is impressive, but it would be nice to have a little more variety.

Back to the original question. Don't by an anemone with the thought that, "when it grows too big, I will get a bigger aquarium or I'll trade it in". Anemones don't deal well with change. Going from one aquarium that is doing well, to another seemingly good aquarium often kills a healthy anemone. Plus, a new aquarium won't even be ready for a anemone for several months after you set it up.

As far as trading it in goes, IME very few people want a giant anemone. Most LFS don't have tanks big enough or equipment to support it. (And would you really want your prized anemone at an LFS). I have two wonderful Public Aquariums in my area to whom I thought I could donate my large H. crispa, but neither would take it. One didn't think they could keep it alive, and the other didn't have room in their display tanks or their behind the scenes tanks.
Old 01/14/2006, 06:24 PM
Registered Member

I just bought a carpet anenome and was wondering what you guys thought of the best way to feed it and what kind of food you were using.

Right now i'm targeting it mysis shrimp (in Selcon) every three days and it seems to devour them.

Right now its 3"x3"

Any recommendations??
Old 01/14/2006, 07:20 PM
Registered Member

If it is a haddoni(saddle) carpet, I would feed something a little meatier, like pieces of table shrimp or silversides. If it is a gigantea, I would feed the same things but step up the feeding to every other day.
Old 01/14/2006, 07:47 PM
Registered Member

This is what it looks like, though mine is flat right now.

http://www.aquacon.com/images/greencarpet.jpg

What do u think??
Old 01/15/2006, 12:08 PM
Registered Member

That is S. haddoni, sometime called a saddle carpet because it is the most common host for saddleback clowns.

Be aware that as that type can, and often do, catch and eat non-clownfish in your tank. This includes snails, hermit crabs, shrimp, gobies, dwarf angels, and small to medium sized tangs.

The bigger it gets the more dangerous it is to your tanks inhabitants.
Old 01/15/2006, 12:49 PM
Registered Member

I had a feeling as it got bigger it may eat some snails and shrimp, but i will def frag it before it gets big enough for fish.

Its funny, this thing was supposed to be a Ricordia when i ordered it, now its a fish eating anenome
Old 01/15/2006, 12:50 PM
Registered Member

Forgot to thank you Phender..... i really appreciate the advice.

Thanks again!
Old 01/15/2006, 01:41 PM
Clownfish Enthusiast

Quote:
but i will def frag it before it gets big enough for fish.
Not recommended by anyone unless you know something we don't. It would most certainly be the end of your carpet?

my 2 cents
Old 01/15/2006, 04:59 PM
Registered Member

Really??

I was looking at it today and wondering if it would be possible. I couldn't see where to cut it and how the new piece would replenish itself.

Hmm, anyone know if its possible??
Old 01/15/2006, 05:12 PM
Registered Member

I dont think it's possible to frag an anemone.I kow some types sometimes split to reproduce,but I think if you cut it,it's a goner.
Old 01/15/2006, 08:28 PM
Clownfish Enthusiast

Many people have talked about it with BTA but most wouldn't even risk losing their BTA because its a 99% rate of failure. I wouldn't risk.
Old 01/17/2006, 04:35 PM
Registered Member

I've heard the same thing about reproducing versus fragging. Hopefully he'll just reproduce before he gets too big and then i can sell the big one.