Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > SouthEast Region-Reef Club Forums > Florida Panhandle Reefkeepers
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/14/2007, 08:51 PM
Registered Member

More flow from a Maxi-Jet

I'm probably going to get 1 or 2 of these once they come out with the magnetic mounting brackets. Looks like a great way to increase flow.

http://www.tritonaquatics.com/
Old 11/14/2007, 09:22 PM
Registered Member

It looks like the same concept of the eductors which can be made for about $5. I wonder how they compare.
Old 11/14/2007, 10:08 PM
Premium Member

Why not just DIY and save money?

You can do just about anything DIY, especially this mod. Look in the DIY Forum there are plenty of threads on maxijet modifications.

Having a high post count doesn't necessarily show intelligence or knowledge, it simply shows you just talk a lot. - Me
Old 11/14/2007, 10:56 PM
Registered Member

DIY look bad.. just ask Lance, and with all the companies making these some are better than others. There is an entire thread about it on here somewhere. Not all brands create as much flow as others.

I was considering the maxi-jet mod before but since these are getting more flow and it takes less than a minute to put together it seems like an easier route.
Old 11/14/2007, 11:02 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11184805#post11184805 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by jadeguppy
It looks like the same concept of the eductors which can be made for about $5. I wonder how they compare.
You use the eductors on returns or closed loop systems. These are for powerheads. With these on a maxi-jet 1200 can push about 2500 which is twice as much as a Koralia 4. Most everyone who has a fish tank has an extra maxi-jet laying around. I only have 1 1200, but I also have a 1000 and a 900.
Old 11/15/2007, 07:06 AM
Registered Member

Those look very similar to these at Premium Aquatics that already have magnet mounts available:

http://www.premiumaquatics.com/Merch...y_Code=Maxijet
Old 11/15/2007, 07:37 AM
Registered Member

They are very similar, and the thread i started reading was about the sure flows. Someone on there has been testing every one of these mods that has come out, he even makes his own, and at this point he said the gulf stream ii does create the greatest flow and it is spread out better than the other units. I'll probably wait for the mag mount on the ones I posted just because they have been shown to move a bit more water than the sure flows. I think there is one out there called Eco as well. My understanding is the guys who made the maxi-jet mods will no longer be making them because these companies are now mass producing them.
Old 11/15/2007, 09:57 AM
Premium Member

All of the maxi-jet mods here that I've seen are basic and simple to do...it requires a hobby shop, or ordering a Dumas prop for the impeller though. Well look at the high flow MJ Mod on that website you posted, and it uses a Dumas prop. I guess its a matter of you wanting to buy it...I won't try to talk you out of it anymore.

But it couldn't be too hard to do it. Especially with the kits now for sale, or you could assemble a kit your self...anyway

Having a high post count doesn't necessarily show intelligence or knowledge, it simply shows you just talk a lot. - Me
Old 11/15/2007, 10:27 AM
Registered Member

I really don't think the cost for these is to unreasonable that I'd want to do a DIY one, and maybe not get the max flow and have it not look as good. Now on the other hand I'm doing a DIY Kalk reactor right now and it is butt ugly... but its not going to be anywhere anyone can see it, and if it works properly I'll be saving myself about $200.

I'm all for DIY but if its going in my tank and I can see it I try to go with something that looks better than most DIY I make. I don't even have powerheads in my tank becuase I don't like the look of all the clutter, but I need more flow and I don't see any other way to get extra flow than to put one or maybe 2 of these in. If I can get 2500 gph out of one of these I might only need one and I think I can hide it fairly well.
Old 11/16/2007, 08:37 AM
Premium Member

Yeah, I don't see you needing more than one that's pushing 2500GPH.

I see what your saying, your not against DIY, your against the ****ty look you get from DIY. I know what you mean though I don't like my tank cluttered either, with anything let alone some DIY that I did.

Old 11/16/2007, 09:09 AM
Registered Member

I have a few dead spots on each end of the tank so I might need two. I'm not sure how much flow I actually have from the return pump. I have it diverted to a few different things in the sump so there is really no telling right now what I'm getting. I also have a Reeflo dart for a closed loop and its not at the max becuase of all the plumbing I have it running through. I'm wanting to get back into sps and adding 5000 gal more flow should get me in the 50-60x turnover area. If the gulf stream IIs are getting 2500 like they claim it would be adding about 1000 more gph than the standard mods or most of the diy mod that I've seen results for.
Old 11/17/2007, 02:54 AM
Premium Member

If you get one LMK. Id like one if you want to split shipping. Shipping would be $6.
Old 11/17/2007, 07:55 AM
Registered Member

I'm not in a hurry right now to get one but I will do that. I'd like to wait until the mounts with the magnets are in also. I'm not sure when they intend to start selling those.
Old 11/17/2007, 08:03 AM
Registered Member

There are magnetic ball mounts out there made by algae free. Only problem is it comes with a 1600 flow kit and you actually have to buy the magnets seperate. That being said I have two of their magnets and they are impressive. My tank is kinda thick and they hold tight.

Rich
Old 11/17/2007, 08:12 AM
Registered Member

I could also just order some encased 60 lb magnets that people are buying and gluing to the ball mount, but then thats just spending more cash. I have on problem waiting until they get theirs on the market.
Old 11/17/2007, 08:15 AM
Registered Member

Understand. I already have them so the option would be more viable to me. Let me know when you guys decide to order would love to jump in and help split shipping.

Rich
Old 11/17/2007, 09:35 AM
Premium Member

Just let me know when yall are ready. I hope its $6 combined shipping, not $6 each.
Old 11/17/2007, 10:38 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11200985#post11200985 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by SWINGRRRR
Just let me know when yall are ready. I hope its $6 combined shipping, not $6 each.
I just put 3 in to see and it was 8.50 shipping for 3 of them.

I hope they come with the magnet mounted ones soon, but if not and you guys want to order some sooner than later I'll jump in and get one and just buy some magnets to glue to them.
Old 11/17/2007, 01:52 PM
Registered Member

Have you tried sending them an email to see how soon they might be producing them?

Rich
Old 11/17/2007, 03:42 PM
Premium Member

Water World has some 1600gph kits for $23 or $26 buck. I wonder whats the difference in these and those. I just saw the sign, never asked about them. If they include the mounts, local seems like a better deal.
Old 11/17/2007, 04:02 PM
Registered Member

depends what brand. If its the Algae Free Sure Flow 1600 Maxi-Jet Upgrade Kit, Marine Depot is selling them for $14.99. Add in shipping and its still probably cheaper from Marine Depot.

The reviews on the sure flow mods have been good and if that gives you enough flow you might as well go with something like that. With my size tank and the amount of flow I want to get I'll still probably pay a few bucks more and get the ones that are suppose to put out up to 2400 gph flow.
Old 11/18/2007, 12:47 AM
Registered Member

I sent them an email stating our club is interested in sending them some business if they woulg get back to me on about when the magnetic mounts would be ready to ship. Hopefully they will get back to me.

Rich
Old 11/22/2007, 12:57 AM
Eye Bol

This I would buy as a kit. Do not DIY!!!!

They look bad and there are precise cuts that have to be made. I built one once. Now I have a tunze. It's big but looks better!